Craig Lancaster's Reviews > Waiting For Spring

Waiting For Spring by R.J. Keller

Jul 26, 10

The emotional honesty of this book -- in ways that will make your heart soar and stop it cold -- is startling. In a world of fiction inundated with two-dimensional women who are shopaholics, fashionistas or crime-fighting, ass-kicking FBI agents (or, God forbid, crime-fighting, ass-kicking FBI agents who wear haute couture and slink around the mall), R.J. Keller's Tess is rough-edged, whipsmart, beaten down and indomitable. She's real. You can get your arms around her.

I have two small -- very small -- nits with this book, and they're worth mentioning only in that they're what keeps me from clicking that fifth star. First, it's a bit overlong -- not in a way that makes it a lesser story, but in a way that suggests it could have benefitted from an editor as strong as the writer clearly is. Second, a good copy editor could have ironed out some of the niggling style and grammatical flaws. I sincerely doubt, however, that those held back readers. The story is powerful enough to carry the book past its blemishes.

Given what's happening in publishing these days, I suspect that eventually we'll look back on the first decade of this century as the last gasps of the "all self-publishing is crap" crowd. Books like this one are changing that perception. R.J. Keller has written something she should be very proud to call her own.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting For Spring.