Cindy's Reviews > Born to Be Wild

Born to Be Wild by Christine Warren

Apr 27, 2010

bookshelves: pnr-shapeshifter, favorites
Read in June, 2010

Christine Warren's series, The Others, follows the lives of paranormal beings after their "unveiling" (when they formally make themselves known to the non paranormal world). For the most part these books are light reading, fun and laced with humor and romance. They have the prerequisite alpha hero pursuing, and of course catching, the spunky heroine. They very lightly touch on "interspecies" relationships, which would be a modern day metaphor for interracial and intercultural relationships. However, the author rarely explores these conflicts in depth; rather she opts for the light hearted romance. However, in "Born to be Wild" she goes a bit further by making a political statement. The heroine, Josie, is a human veterinarian who lives in a small town in Oregon. Her love interest is Eli, the local sheriff who just happens to be feline shifter (lion). This town was not surprised with the unveiling as paranormal beings have lived there for many generations. Therefore everyone got along, that is until an outside "human supremacy" organization came to town. The message is not heavy handed and does add to the overall story. My only issue with this type of story is this; The "bad guys" were truly evil almost to the point of absurdity. They were almost cartoonish in nature. Perhaps the "can't we all just get along" point would be better made if they were a little more three dimensional. On the whole though, this was an enjoyable read and I am looking forward to the next installment.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Be Wild.

message 1: by ~V~ (new) - added it

~V~ So you liked this one huh?..I've enjoyed pretty much all of the books in this series and I went out and bought this one right away, but I have yet to read it..Ive been a little bit nervous, since a lot of people haven't given it very good reviews. How does it compare to the others in the series as far as the "steam factor" goes? :)

Cindy M.Vander wrote: "So you liked this one huh?..I've enjoyed pretty much all of the books in this series and I went out and bought this one right away, but I have yet to read it..Ive been a little bit nervous, since a..."

Sorry, M....I didn't check my reviews to see if there were any comments. When I got your message I went to the "W" section and scoured every author looking for it - thought maybe it was accidentally put in another thread. Finally thought to look here!! LOL

I've had this book for awhile and kept putting off reading it because it has nothing to do with the Manhattan Others. Once I get attached to characters I miss them if they are not mentioned in the next book. I think the big thing with Born to be Wild was how she touched on a more serious topic (prejudice against non humans). To me, this series is more "fluff" and light reading because the author always glossed over The Unveiling. It's kind of unrealistic that there wouldn't be protests, riots, witch hunts, etc if all of the sudden it were announced that paranorms exist. But that's ok....I just used them as light and fun fantasy reading. But with this book she addressed the subject, making it a little more realistic and more of a "thinking" book than an "escape" book - if you know what I mean. With that said, however, she only touched on the subject....meaning, it does not read like a sociology textbook. The romance and sex scenes were just as hot as her other books. And, she introduced a few characters that I would like to see again. I really liked the H/h as well. I liked the chemistry between them, but she didn't spend a lot of time on the shifter part (he was a were-lion on his own - no pride). My big issue was that she tried to have it both ways....a light fun read on the one hand, and a serious topic on the other, and she fell short with both. Maybe if she wants to explore the fallout from The Unveiling she should do it with characters we are familiar with and care about - Graham, Rafael, Rule, etc. It may be that she is moving the series into a little more serious territory - idk. But all in all, I liked it - it isn't her best, but it certainly doesn't deserve to be trashed. She has another one coming out later this year and it will be interesting to see where she goes with it. One other thing is that there were grammar errors, typos, etc. But I am finding that more and more in all books. I think that authors are under pressure to produce several books a year and they are all falling short on the editing.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you think if you decide to read it.

message 3: by ~V~ (new) - added it

~V~ Wow Cindy! I was expecting a yes or no answer to my "steamy" question!? :) LOL!! Thank you for all of this though!...I was so excited for this one to come out because I like this series a lot!..some a little bit more than others, but even the ones that weren't my fav. I still liked! When I started reading reviews, I was suddenly reluctant to start it because people who were, apparantly, die hard fans of this series were very disappointed..so your explanation has put my mind at ease...and I'm looking forward to reading it now! Thanks! :)

Cindy M.Vander wrote: "Wow Cindy! I was expecting a yes or no answer to my "steamy" question!? :) LOL!! Thank you for all of this though!...I was so excited for this one to come out because I like this series a lot!..so..."

LOL...Once I got started I couldn't stop myself!!!

message 5: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Cindy,

I have noticed problems with authors trying to combine seriousness and humor and it being an awkward mix. The Others series is hit and miss for me, the author needs to add more depth and be more consistent in her writing.

Lora Leigh's Breeds series does a great job of addressing the prejudice against their species, which is humans that had their DNA spliced with an animals. Some people think that makes them animals to treat any way the humans please. The whole series has conflict with people who hate the Breeds because of who they are and consider them below humans.