AH's Reviews > Grave Peril

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

Jan 12, 2011

bookshelves: demons, dragons, fae, ghosts, zzxread-jan-2011, urban-fantasy, vampires, wizards
Read from January 08 to 11, 2011

Wow! I love Harry.

This was an excellent way to spend a snowy winter’s day, cuddled up in front of the fire with every light on in my house because I was so scared and creeped out by parts of this book. Think of every scary monster you know and pretty much they are in this book. There are ghosts, demons, different kinds of vampires, fae, and even a dragon.

Grave Peril is the third book in Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series. Each book is better than the previous book. If this trend continues, and I hear that it does, I’ll be a very happy reader. What makes these books so good and so entertaining is Harry Dresden. Harry Dresden is an understated character. I enjoy his wit and his observations of the world that he lives in. When I read about Harry, I feel like I am watching an old time black and white detective movie, a film noir. But Harry still uses modern conveniences whenever possible, and whenever they don’t malfunction around his brand of magic.

Harry has some wonderful friends. I love how Michael’s character seems to offset the dark magic that Harry needs to use. The juxtaposition between good and evil, magic and faith is done very well without getting preachy.

Who knew that there could be so many different kinds of vampires? Red vampires, black vampires, and white vampires – I’ll take the white guys, please. Thomas was a white vampire and while I wasn’t pleased with some of the things he did, he did become a good ally for Harry.

Harry has some pretty scary ladies in his life. I’m still not too keen on Susan, but I am glad that Harry has found someone. Michael’s wife Charity, was really scary at times, but she had good reason to act that way. The scariest lady in Harry’s life was Harry’s fae godmother, Lea. Lea is definitely a force to be reckoned with and Harry owes her.

This book had a lot of action, sword fights, snarling vampires, and hell hounds. I feel bad for Harry, he takes a lot of hits. Part of the attraction of this series is how Harry thinks on his feet. His “aha” moments make the book so exhilarating.

Can’t wait to get my hands on the next book, Summer Knight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Peril.

01/08/2011 page 20
5.0% "Scary ghost in the maternity ward..." 15 comments
01/09/2011 page 36
10.0% "Harry has a godmother? With scary hell hounds?" 24 comments
01/09/2011 page 62
16.0% "A vampire council, too? Vampires, hell hounds, ghosts, creepy godmothers - this book has it all." 25 comments
01/09/2011 page 65
17.0% ""Vampires. They can be a couple hundred years out of style and not notice."" 1 comment
01/10/2011 page 120
32.0% ""The door burst open. Murphy came through it, her eyes living flames of azure blue, her hair a golden coronet around her. She held a blazing sword in her hand and she shone so bright and beautiful and terrifying in her anger that it was hard to see. The Sight, I realized dimly. I was seeing her for who she was." Did I catch that right? Murphy and a glowing sword?" 40 comments
01/10/2011 page 169
45.0% ""I was in no shape to go after the Nightmare on my own. It was full of power it had stolen from me. It had the booga booga factor going for it" --Well said Harry." 6 comments
01/11/2011 page 254
67.0% ""When it comes to spooky laughter, it's hard to beat vampires." - Harry Dresden" 24 comments
01/11/2011 page 378
100.0% "Wow! That last bit of this book was incredible. So much action - I love how Harry thinks on his feet - love it when the light bulb goes off over his head." 2 comments

Katyana Yay, I am so glad you loved it!!

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Yay! I'm glad too! I can't wait to read the next one.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Loves it!! What do you think about a 13 year old boy reading this series? I keep thinking my son would like it but I keep forgetting if there would be anything in it that would scar his mama (haha!) if he read and was all like "YEAH BABY. You go and hit dat, Henry." YOu know?

Uber awesome that you loved it!!

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Is you son a good reader? A mature reader? I read a lot of Stephen King when I was young. Scared the crap out of me, but I still read it. My middle son was into Goosebumps at this age, but he is a slower reader.

Greta is Erikasbuddy yeah.. he isn't a quick reader. Maybe in a couple more years. I didn't think about that :)

Right now he's really into the Simpson's comic books. He got 5 for xmas -- and it's a miracle!! He reads without me harping :)

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH My kids loved the Tin Tin and Asterix comic books.

Shera (Book Whispers) Hmmm . . . your review makes me hopeful to continue reading this series. Book one just lacked something for me.

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Hmmm . . . your review makes me hopeful to continue reading this series. Book one just lacked something for me."

I try not to stop at book 1 of any series unless it is absolutely horrid. I always see the first book as the set up book for the rest of the series. This was a dark book, scary at times. I really like Harry - it is worth reading this series if you like urban fantasy.

Shera (Book Whispers) Yeah, I figured as much. I usually try to push past book one, I just think it disappointed me too much. Harry is definitely a great character.

message 10: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Great review, AH. You've made me interested in tyring this series.

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Quinn! Harry is like a paranormal Sam Spade. I'm enjoying the series.

message 12: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Great review, AH! I'm glad you enjoyed this one and are looking forward to more. I thought one particular scene was pretty bad ass--the emotion and strength of his powers thrilled me.

I also really liked Michael and Thomas. Michael is exactly what Harry needs to keep him balanced. And even though Thomas did some shady things I can't help but like him.

I can't wait to see what you think of the rest of the series!

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Catherine! I'm hoping to get to the next one this month.

message 14: by Catherine (new) - added it