Matt's Reviews > Calculating God

Calculating God by Robert J. Sawyer

M 50x66
Apr 27, 10

bookshelves: robert-j-sawyer

Not what I expected out a science fiction book. I gathered from the title that there would be some philosophical debate over the existence of a God and that isn't what turned me off from this book. Maybe having read newer Sawyer works before this earlier release was my mistake, but this novel seemed to lack something that I have come to expect from Sawyer. He depicts Canada well enough and that is something that I enjoy, being a Canadian myself I get a kick out of some of his Canadian stereotypes and cultural references, but like Flash Forward I found this book to be dull in parts. It almost felt long-winded, if a book can be described that way.
I have come to expect solid science (or at least theory) behind RJS stories, but the abundance and repetition of paleontology and religious references got old quickly. Once for the sake of plot and even a second time to refresh the reader later on is okay, but four and five times is just filler to me.
Without posting a spoiler, I will say that the ending didn't fit the book. At least the way I pictured the book as I was reading it. Kind of went from a long, easy-going elevator ride with Muzak piped in to a acid trip televangelist.
While not impressed with this one, I will continue to read RJS.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calculating God.

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Long-winded indeed, I couldn't even read past the first page. The premise of the book is so interesting and I desperately want to read it, but I know myself well enough that I'd struggle to read it for a month, neglect every other book I could be reading, and not finish it, because the writing style is excruciating to me.