Stephanie 's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Mar 28, 13

bookshelves: favorites, 2010, 2011
Recommended for: Anyone and Everyone!
Read from June 15 to 17, 2011, read count: 2

Tears literally came to my eyes when I finished this book. I just loved it so much I wanted to cry. Riordan dives right into the story. There were a lot of questions of who everyone's parents were so Piper's godly parent surprised me but it I thought it was pretty cool. Jason's turned out to be what I expected but with a spin. And Leo's was pretty predictable but there is something very unique about him....

Riordan perfectly meshes Greek and Roman mythology. It's ingenious the way he does it. It's so cool. He uses some of the places he labeled as dangerous in Percy Jackson and the Olympians and twisted them to fit this story line, which was spectacular. And some of the events that took place in the first series make a little more sense once you read The Lost Hero. The characters are wonderful!

Throughout the whole book, you're asking questions beyond where's Percy. Riordan gives you just enough answers to appease you but then (a lot of the time) you have more questions you want answered after the new revelations. He perfectly balances the giving and withholding of information.

The Heroes of Olympus is definitely, with out a shadow of doubt, going to be better than Percy Jackson and the Olympians. The Lost Hero showed great promise for the sequel, Son of Neptune. The writing is in third person but it has an air of the first person writing you get in the first series. It has three different POVs and each chapter about the targeted character is personalized specifically well. I just love everything about this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.

Quotes Stephanie Liked

Rick Riordan
“I'm the son of Jupiter, I'm a child of Rome, consul to demigods, praetor of the First Legion. I slew the Trojan sea monster, I toppled the black throne of Kronos, and destroyed Titan Krios with my own hand. And now I'm going to destroy you Porphyrion, and feed you to your own wolves."
"Wow, dude," Leo muttered, "You been eating red meat?”

Rick Riordan
“Maybe people with special gifts show up when bad things are happening because that's when they're needed most.”

Rick Riordan
“All of them had been give a makeover. Leo was wearing pinstriped pants, black leather shoes, a white collarless shirt with suspenders, and his tool
belt, Ray-Ban sunglasses, and a porkpie hat.
“God, Leo.” Piper tried not to laugh. “I think my dad wore that to his last premiere, minus the tool belt.”
“Hey, shut up!”
“I think he looks good,” said Coach Hedge. “’Course, I look better.”
The satyr was a pastel nightmare. Aphrodite had given him a baggy canary yellow zoot suit with two-tone shoes that fit over his hooves. He had a
matching yellow broad-brimmed hat, a rose-colored shirt, a baby blue tie, and a blue carnation in his lapel, which Hedge sniffed and then ate.
“Well,” Jason said, “at least your mom overlooked me.”
Piper knew that wasn’t exactly true. Looking at him, her heart did a little tap dance. Jason was dressed simply in jeans and a clean purple T-shirt, like
he’d worn at the Grand Canyon. He had new track shoes on, and his hair was newly trimmed. His eyes were the same color as the sky. Aphrodite’s
message was clear: This one needs no improvement.
And Piper agreed.”

10/15/2010 page 102
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Oh, I think Piper is a daughter of Aphrodite because of her eye color description. ( It was practically the same as Aphrodite's in the Titan's Curse) I agree with Jason being a son of Zeus, and I think that Leo is a son of Hermes. How did you get Hephaestus? I read it again and didn't find anything... maybe I missed it. Who do you think the mistress is? I was thinking Hera or Rhea. Any ideas?

message 2: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 22, 2010 12:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie Leo was making stuff through out the chapter. Could be Hephaestus. She could be....no idea about the mistress...

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily I always thought Hermes was crafty, but I can see how Hephaestus would work. I thought that the pranks were Hermes-like, but he easily could be a son of Hephaestus... If all the kids on the bus were 15 or 16, doesn't that mean Leo, Piper, and Jason's immortal parents all broke the oath Percy made them agree to?

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 22, 2010 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie No. Now if Jason is a kid of Zeus, then Zeus broke the oath that the big three had in the PJO books. Percy made them agree to claim their children but not to not have anymore.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily I didn't think of that! So Zeus broke the oath twice! I think this is going to be an amazing series :)

Stephanie I know!!!!

Denisa Omgosh. I can't wait for The Son of Neptune ><
I have so many thoughts of whats going to happen. All I was thinking when I finished it was: "I need to know about Percy~!"
I can't wait for next year :DD

Stephanie I know!!!! I can't wait until next year either! I wanted to know what the Roman camp was like more than how Percy was, you know?

message 9: by Dovetail (last edited Oct 23, 2010 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dovetail Exactly. I think that if any of the people from Camp Half-Blood could survive there Percy could, so he'll be fine. I DO want him to remember who he is though. It's a little weird to think that after all he's been through he forgot who he is. Jason got most of his memory back though, so it would make sense for Percy to get his back too.

Response to review:
That's exactly how I would describe it: Amazing. Exactly the same happened to me as far as who their parents were, he DOES mesh Greek and Roman mythology beautifully, and this series CAN only be better; no one would like it if it was worse. ;)

message 10: by Sage (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sage How can u guys think that Leo is a son of Hermes Heptathes claims him right there!

Stephanie Well, we read the first two chapters before the book came out, so we were speculating.

Elizabeth I'm sorry, but I really miss Luke... :(

Stephanie Me too.

Dovetail So do I. I wish that he could remember who he is when he comes back, but that isn't possible and he won't even neccesarily be a demigod. :(

Stephanie Sadness. :( :( :( :( :P

Turtle wow, is it just me, or do I feel particularly concerned about Piper? I mean, that guy, albeit maybe extremely hot and kind etc. etc, but, he's got another girl back there?! Trouble. Hope she'll be fine.
The book itself was awesome, totally flawless, but Percy Jackson, or the lack of, really makes me wish he could bring this new book out faster. I really hope he doesn't forget Annabeth!

Stephanie I'd rather not have too much of Percy. I hope Jason doesn't have a girl at the Roman camp; I love Piper.

Turtle Stephanie wrote: "I'd rather not have too much of Percy. I hope Jason doesn't have a girl at the Roman camp; I love Piper."

hear hear! Well, I don't mind a lot of Percy, haha

Stephanie Hahaha

Dovetail I don't mind a lot of Percy either. It should be less than half about him though.

Stephanie I guess I want this seperate series to have a different main character.

Dovetail Yeah, something like that for me too.

Irene Lê Everybody wants the sequel now!!!

Stephanie Lol, this is true.

message 25: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Wow theese reviews are making me dizzy

Stephanie What do you mean?

Mikela This comment was really helpful. I just finished reading the Percy Jackson series(I know i'm late), and I wanted to know if the Heroes of Olympus would intrigue me just as much as the last series. After reading your review, I've decided i'm gonna give the book a try. Thankz

Stephanie Glad my review helped. :)

Rissa Lynn I could not wait for the sequel to come out and when it did i started reading it instantly. The same pattern followed for the 3rd book . Cant wait for book four the house of hades!!!!!

Stephanie Me either!

message 31: by Nate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nate ive just reread the first and second series for the third time. xD

message 32: by Nate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nate Luke was in my opinion THE WORST Character.

Stephanie I wouldn't say the worst...

Steph Piper's godly parent surprised me as well, but it was interesting seeing the inside of the cabin and the things they could do ..... Actually they seemed more like teenage mortals with all their obsessions and idols XD

Jeffrey.c rick riordan is the perfect author for greek mthyology

message 36: by Etnik (new) - added it

Etnik cool review :)

Sydney Hicks I completely agree with you. I love Rick's way of making mythology exciting and relatable. I thought I might not like the mix of Roman gods because I didn't like the Egyptian gods in the red pyramid but he made me like them. I also found myself asking questions of what will happen next but got distracted by the many battles with angry wind gods and giants. I really enjoyed seeing Thaila again because she was one of my favorite characters from the Percy Jackson series. I also like his incorporation of her into Jason's life and I didn't expect her to be his full sibling but it was a pleasant surprise. I recommend this book to everyone.