Courtney's Reviews > By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead

By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

May 06, 10

bookshelves: teen-fiction, mental-illness
Read from April 27 to 29, 2010

In a long tradition of teen books about suicide and bullying, this one stands out. Our protagonist, Daelyn, has been through multiple suicide attempts, schools and shrinks. As this book begins, Daelyn has started at yet another school and is simply trying to keep to herself until she is able to finish the job of killing herself. To help her figure out exactly how she's going to achieve this goal, she finds a website for those who wish to "complete" the act. She purges her misery on the site's board and researches various methods of "completion". The site also gives her a countdown to her "Day of Determination". As each day goes by, she finds herself resisting those impulses that might just save her life, the primary one being the boy next door to her school that insists on attempting to befriend her. I'm still not 100% sure what I think happened at the end, but it's not that important. Can a girl with serious suicidal impulses survive her teen years? I'm not telling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead.