Rodolfo's Reviews > The Left Hand of God

Jul 01, 10

bookshelves: goodreads-first-reads, series-currently-reading
Read from June 23 to July 01, 2010

This was a "first reads" book that I won from the publisher on Goodreads.com

Well, It started off really interesting with Cale and how he and his friends were brought up and how they had to escape. Then it almost lost me somewhere in the middle where I felt like the writing started to summarize events to move the story on faster. I felt that this was unnecessary and cheapened the experience. THEN, it added the love story. I have to say that I really hate the typical young adult love story in the books that I read. This part really felt truly unnecessary. Fortunately this didn't last. The story picked up again and caught my interest.

Although I liked the book. I felt that parts of it were a little clunky in it's delivery and the constant references to real people and places kept throwing me off. I had to just give up and not try to visualize its location. The dialogue was good. The characters are well written and their personalities come out on the pages.

By the end of the book the author had me interested and my rating moved from a 3 star (a decent book) to a 4 star (a good, fun, interesting book) promising more to come. It ends just as it gets really good. I am definitely going to read the second book. I hope its less young adult and more good, gritty, dark fantasy.

I heard that this was a translation. Maybe that's what caused the parts I wasn't to crazy about...maybe.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Left Hand of God.

06/24/2010 page 42
9.0% "interesting so far"
06/28/2010 page 243
63.0% "Good fast read so far"
06/30/2010 page 363
95.0% "almost lost me with the love story part, but it didn't last too long"