Zeek's Reviews > Dangerous Lover

Dangerous Lover by Lisa Marie Rice

Apr 27, 10

bookshelves: contemp-rom, romantica, rom-suspense-erotic, rom-suspense, rom-military
Read in May, 2009

The story starts off with a tantalizing hook- the hero, Jack Prescott, at age 18, orphaned and homeless, stands outside Caroline Lake's house in the sleet and snow, peering in the window, longing for the warmth of a family who loves him. Years later, Jack has matured into a stoic, healthy, wealthy man and he's coming back for the woman whom he never forgot.

Caroline has hit some hard times- years before, her parents died in a car accident leaving the family less then well off, and then she had to bury her beloved brother after a long illness. All she has left is the family mansion, falling down around her ears, and her bookstore.

Enter Jack, he's too good to be true, but tender-hearted Caroline is desperate for the cash his renting of a room will provide and ...she's tired of being lonely.

Meanwhile, a deadly man is following the man who ruined his plans and made off with a cache of blood diamonds while in Africa- one ex-military, security consultant named Jack Prescott. He'll stop at nothing to get them back, including using the one weakness Jack ever presented ... his love for Caroline Lake.

DL was not a bad read, it had some exciting elements. Strong military hero, an intriguing thriller plot, and some steamy sex, but for some reason- it failed to hold my interest. The heroine was a little too vulnerable for my tastes- I prefer a mix of vulnerability and brass- and I couldn't help feeling Caroline was more of a child's wish than a man's fantasy. The author attempted to make Jack came off as alpha male, but she never really showed us how dangerous he was- just told us. Often.

She also became repetitive in the hero's wanting of the heroine- we got it after the first couple times he said how aroused her was by her, after 5 times it got tiresome. I skimmed through much of this book, sorry to say.

Add all that to the fact the ending was rushed and waaaay too easy and you get a 2 out of 5 from me. Perhaps if you enjoy contemporary erotic romance this might be for you- the sex was graphic and plentiful!- but as for me? Pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Lover.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Buggy Awesome review Zeek, I totally agree with you, I couldn't stand the helpless heroine, got tired of Jack playing handy man and wondered where the hell the ending was. I think I gave it 3 stars, disappointing after(as you say) a great hook.

message 2: by Barks & Bites (new)

Barks & Bites This would drive me crazy. Thanks for the review, I'm taking this off my WL at paperbackswap. 1 down, 1000 to go!

Buggy LOL Barks less, sounds familiar