Melanie's Reviews > The Dead Fathers Club

The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig

3206829
May 20, 10

Read in May, 2010

The title intrigued me because my father is dead, so I was excited to read this for my book club. Phillip's Ghost Dad believes that his brother killed him and to have piece revenge is necessary. Since 11 year old Phillip is the only one who can see him he must be the one to do it. I don't want to spoil the story for anyone interested so I'm not going to go into any more detail.

I know that this is suppose to be a take from Hamlet. But do we really need to "remake" classics? I have not read Hamlet to really compare. I did disagree with the belief for a murder victim must have revenge to rest in peace. They were the victim, and those that do wrong shouldn't have peace in my opinion.

Mr. Haig had an interesting style and sometimes the writing was fun with the way the page looked. However, puncunation was missing as you can see below.

The quote I liked was: There comes a time when you have to put the dead to rest Philip. When you have to trust the living instead. You cant live for your dad for ever Philip. When Dad died I believed it was all my fault. But I dont think that anymore. You can believe what you want to believe. Thats what I think.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Fathers Club.