Margot's Reviews > The Colour of Magic

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

Apr 07, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, snarky
Read from March 24 to April 04, 2011

I'm not a big fan of snarky/tongue-in-cheek fantasy writing, so the first time I picked up this novel, I didn't get very far at all. I gave The Colour of Magic a second chance on audio and found that much easier to get through. But I was still not gripped enough to want to continue on with Pratchett's Discworld series.

The Colour of Magic follows the rather ill-fated adventures of Twoflower, an enjoyably naive tourist with a rather enchanted and child-like view of the world, and Rincewind, a disenchanted and unlucky pseudo-wizard who knows only one spell and, to my disappointment, (view spoiler). (I suppose that's what's supposed to inspire me to keep reading.) Rincewind finds himself inexplicably linked to the silly tourist and his dangerous luggage as havoc greets them at every turn or is left, inevitably, in their wake.

Although imaginary dragons are great; enchanted, blood-thirsty luggage is all well and good; and I did enjoy how Hrun the Barbarian joined and then left the twosome's company, there just wasn't enough character and emotion embedded in the story to hold my interest or keep me wanting to read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colour of Magic.

03/26/2011 "I'm giving this series a go on audio, since I never managed to get more than a few pages into the first book in print. Generally, I'm not a fan of snarky writing like Pratchett's, but I want to give everything on my book shelves a good go before I get rid of them."
03/30/2011 "So, I'm pretty much thinking that I will not continue on with this series after The Colour of Magic. It's just not my thing and I find it doesn't hold my interest even in audio."