aisha's Reviews > Bleak House

Bleak House by Charles Dickens

Mar 28, 08

bookshelves: classics
Read in March, 2008

Well, I have finally finished it. I must confess that I wasn't sure if I would, but I persevered and am so glad that I did! It was a little heavier read than am used to, so I had to mix it up with some lighter diversions along the way.

Dickens is such a master of creating scenes and characters. He's amazing. For awhile I wondered how all of his many and varied characters would come together in the end, but Dickens ties everything up seamlessly.

The themes of irony, passion, and secrets makes for a compelling tale, the most compelling being that of Lady Dedlock. Her icy exterior is a most convincing mask for the passion that lies in her past, a passion she would die for.

And now I am going to treat myself to the 15 episode BBc miniseries! I've been waiting so long to watch it, but I made myself finish the novel before watching it. Fortunately my library is so good to me-they already have it en route to me. Can't wait!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bleak House.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Did you watch the series on PBS a year or so ago? It was wonderful to watch. The book must be quite an undertaking. Love Aunt Carol

aisha I'm making myself wait to watch the it until I finish the book first. And it may be awhile! The book is quite an undertaking, so much so that I find myself too easily diverted by much lighter reads!!

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol I like to read a fluffy or lighter book along with the heavy stuff. Its too discouraging otherwise. It's a perfect blend - like chocolate and peanut butter! Fun to look at everyone's book lists. Glad to see you like the classics, rare these days for the younger set. Love, Aunt C