Rosina Lippi's Reviews > 61 Hours

61 Hours by Lee Child

Aug 07, 10

bookshelves: fiction, reviewed-here

Some of the reviews about this book mystified me, so I'll be clear right up front: In many ways, I find this to be the best Jack Reacher book thus far.

We've never been allowed to see him at a loss. We've never seen this kind of bone-deep regret and insecurity. He's still Reacher -- he kicks ass in a particularly satisfying way, he sees clearly where others don't see at all, he has an affinity for interesting people. But he fails in the one thing he is determined to do.

In this book he comes across an older woman, very dignified, kind, and morally steadfast. She sees more about him than anyone has ever seen, and they talk. He also has multiple phone calls with a woman who has his old job in the military, a very important, very intense, out-the-public-view kind of job. His talks to the older woman, he talks to the younger woman, and we see two sides of him we haven't seen before, at least not very clearly. How good he was at his job, and how very badly he was suited for the army in general. How compulsive he is about doing the right thing.

Three good people die, and he is devastated. He doesn't shut down -- he goes out to fix things and make those who are responsible pay -- but you can feel his despair.

This is the only book which ends with such an incredible cliffhanger. Could Reacher be dead?

Nah.

Now I cannot wait for the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 61 Hours.