Kim's Reviews > Island Beneath the Sea

Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende

May 31, 11

bookshelves: to-read
Recommended to Kim by: npr.org

Thursday evening, May 6th, I had the good fortune to attend a talk and reading by the most famous living Latin American author. Isabel Allende read from her new novel Island Beneath the Sea at the Atlanta History Center to an auditorium full of fans. She was a delight!!

It had been years since someone had read to me and I had quite forgotten what a pleasure that can be. Author Allende reading her new book in her wonderful Latin American accent made for one of the most pleasurable evenings out I have had in a long time. Island Beneath the Sea is an exciting story and as usual has a strong female character. Notably, Allende advised when asked about her female characters from a member of the audience, that she did not know any women who were not strong. Who can't love an author that thinks that way?!

I also want to congratulate the Atlanta History Center for doing a good job of making the reading and signing a pleasurable experience for those attending. I plan to attend more events there in the future. The parking was good, the grounds are beautiful, the auditorium was comfortable, and the open bar was a nice touch.

I have never read a book by Isabel Allende, but had fully intended to for some years. Now that I have a copy of her new book, I will bump it up the "to-read" list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island Beneath the Sea.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lynette Yetter What great good fortune that you got to attend a reading with Isabel Allende!

message 2: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro 'Most famous living LA author'? Are you nuts? What about Gabriel García Marquez. A thousand times better... and the original. Isabel Allende just copied Garcia Marquez style and narrative.

Karen Christy what a treat that must've been! where in Calif, if I may ask?

message 4: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Karen, thank you for your comment. The event was in Georgia at the Atlanta History Center. They frequently have guest authors and the presentations and signings are excellent. You should come to one if you are ever in that neck of the woods.

message 5: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Alejandro, I am afraid that you are the one who is nuts! I am not a fan of Marquez personally, and prefer Allende's strong female characters. We will have to agree to disagree.

Emily I saw her speak in New Orleans.....she's fabulous! Now, I have two books signed by her!!