Michael's Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Aug 07, 10

bookshelves: on-my-nook, read-in-2010, mind-candy
Read from August 04 to 07, 2010

This is very much a set-up novel. Moning definitely gives us a plot, but for the most part, this novel builds a fascinating world that I loved reading about. Which is fine, since it is the first book in the series and all.

I won't waste your time by going into a full synopsis, but it begins with the narrator, MacKayla Lane, getting a phone call one day telling her that her sister, Alina, has been murdered. The police are stumped, so MacKayla (or Mac, as she likes to be called) heads over to Dublin (where her sister was studying abroad) to track down Alina's killer. By doing this, she unknowingly plunges herself into a dangerous world of the Fae and plenty of other dastardly creatures.

I actually didn't mind the narrator, MacKayla, even though I should have. She's a prissy thirteen-year-old in a twenty-two-year-old's body. She raves about her Ice Princess Pink Blush nail polish and talks about how head-turning and beautiful she is throughout the whole book. Oh, and after her cover is blown, and she is forced to cut and color her beautiful, flowing (as she describes it) blond hair, she almost has a mental breakdown. However, through all that, her character had a very endearing quality. Don't ask me what it is because I probably couldn't pinpoint it, but I did end up liking her.

Moning creates a fascinating world in this novel, filled with Fae that are both good (Seelie) and evil (Unseelie). Moning introduces components of her world piece-by-piece so you won't be confused learning about it, too. The murder plot was also very well paced. Mac learns things little by little, and the suspense is built up very nicely. Basically, it makes the pages fly pretty quickly.

This may disappoint some people, but there's no romance in this book. Given the cover, that would seem the case, but basically all there is is some romantic tension between Barrons and Mac. Of course, there is V'Lane, a death-by-sex Fae, and I think I'll let you figure out what exactly he does.

The one thing that really bothered me about this book was the writing style. It's almost written in a diary-like format, as if Mac wrote all this down after the book ended. She'll randomly interject, saying things like, "In the next forty-five minutes, my life would be forever changed," and, "I would later find out that going down that street was a bad idea, but at that moment, it sounded like a good plan." So, we have this Mac from sometime in the future spoiling the story. It was a little annoying.

Despite that one annoyance, I highly recommend this book. The world-building is top-notch, and the ending (or lack of) will leave you pining after the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (last edited Jul 22, 2012 08:05PM) (new)

Eric I don't like stories that the romance takes over the majority of the book or stories that have a element of romance because its expected of the story. Tee memoir/ retrospective narrated writing style you talk about is typical of these type of stories.Female lead urban paranormal fiction.