Buggy's Reviews > Mexican Heat

Mexican Heat by Laura Baumbach

Apr 22, 11

bookshelves: men-in-uniform-pc-ff, scars-r-sexy, shelf-11, man-love, rom-susp
Read from April 04 to 19, 2011

Opening Line: "He sauntered past the two shirtless, muscle-bound bouncers, the C-note he slipped the man on his right earning his passage through Club Madrone's front door--and a quick grope over his ass."

This was some damn fine M/M romantic suspense, however I’d have to admit that I struggled a bit with the first 'part' of Mexican Heat, being more of a romantic and not really into the whole Scarface gangster aspect. (Yeah I kept picturing Tony Montana’s world) This is a great action adventure though and the second 'part' which I absolutely adored more then made up for (my) shaky beginnings.

As well as a fantastic story the love scenes here are very, very good, with an intriguing balance set between dominance and submission. That first encounter in the nightclub office… Wow, now there’s a definite multiple read scene.

I also loved Antonio’s sweetness; his understanding and unwavering love of Gabriel and the slow removal of his ‘Gatito’s’ walls will just break your heart. There were a couple of things I didn’t “see” coming and one predictable reveal, although that didn’t bother me as it just made sense to the overall story. All in all a worthy read from the M/M genre with action, romance, suspense, tequila drinking (games), undercover cops, drug lords, mob boss’s, gun play, explosions, misguided vixen’s, sweet love makin and more twists and turns then the worm in the bottom of the bottle.

Police Detective Gabriel Sandalini is deep undercover for Italian mob boss Ricco Botelli, willing to do almost anything at this point to bring the shark down. When he randomly hooks up with a sexy and dominant stranger at a night club Gabriel never expects to see the man again, and that’s just the way he likes it. However when his boss Botelli teams up with the Mexican mob Gabriel’s sultry nightclub stranger -Antonio Sanchez, makes a reappearance, as the drug lords lieutenant.

Now it looks like Gabriel is going to have to take down his lover too. That is if he can make it through the next couple of days. Because his boss’s fiancée Gina can’t keep her hands off him, Sanchez is watching his every move (and making a few of his own) and if that weren’t enough of a distraction he may have just been made by the cartel. Then here’s the whole man love issue and I don’t imagine that’s taken too lightly in the lawless gangster world either. Yes Gabriel has his hands full and while part 1 of this book maintains a level of breathtaking suspense part 2 gives us a heart warming romance. And that’s just how I like it. Salud.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mexican Heat.

04/04/2011 page 19
04/16/2011 page 64
24.0% 7 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Mahlet aah..Gatito! I miss those boys ;)

Buggy Ah yes Kitten, this was a sweet read. I want to know what happened to them next??? The 2nd half of the book was a big surprise and read much different then the 1st

Mahlet They definitely do! I assumed one author wrote the beginning half, and the other author handled the 2nd half.

Sadly, the plans for the 2 authors to work together on this series fell through. But I'm open to reading work from them as individuals.

Buggy Wow thats interesting, too bad we won't be getting a part 2 though.

Do you happen to know which author wrote which part??

Mahlet oops! sorry - why wasn't I alerted to your comment? *hmph!* I don't know which author wrote what :(

Buggy Thanks Mahlet, no worries

DarienMoya I have this book, now I really wanna read it.

Buggy Yay D, I think you will really, really like this one

message 9: by ElaineY (last edited Apr 22, 2011 07:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ElaineY Buggy wrote: "...however I’d have to admit that I struggled a bit with the first 'part' of Mexican Heat, being more of a romantic and not really into the whole Scarface gangster aspect. "

I guess I'm one 'romantic' that loves the darker, grittier set-ups as a realistic, active backdrop or prelude to the romantic thread. It's that one ingredient I find is indispensable to me when I'm reading a romantic suspense. Without it, the whole "suspense" aspect of Romantic Suspense is watered down and becomes merely a Romance for me - which is a separate subgenre altogether.

For this reason, Romantic Suspense books like Zero to the Bone, Cut & Run (the first book only), even Special Forces, are "true" Romantic Suspense because the dark, gritty aspects aren't just elevator music.

message 10: by Buggy (last edited Apr 22, 2011 08:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buggy You are right of course Elaine, I like a realistic, grittier back drop too. And maybe I didn't express myself well here because it wasn't so much the gangster aspect that I had a problem with, I just found myself having trouble in general getting into the first part of the book.

I actually have all the books you mentioned on my TBR list, and I think I'll be better prepared knowing going in the type of True romantic suspense I'm going to get.

Beanbag Love Great review, Buggy! I love Josh Lanyon. Every day is an effort not to devour his entire back list in one go. I'm pacing myself so I haven't gotten to this one yet. You're shaking my resolve, woman! ;^)

message 12: by Buggy (last edited Apr 22, 2011 11:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buggy Thanks Beanbag, This was my first read of his but I'm definitely going to be checking into the backlist.

ElaineY Buggy wrote: "Thanks Beanbag, This was my first read of his but I'm definitely going to be checking into the backlist."

This was your first Lanyon??? You ought to be ashamed.

Buggy Yes Elaine, it was and I am!

Beanbag Love Okay I finally read this one. I loved it! If the authors went half and half then Josh Lanyon almost definitely wrote the second half. But I liked both even though they were different. Have you read more Lanyon yet, Buggy? Get on it! ;D

Buggy Thanks Beanbag, No I haven't read any more Lanyon yet (hangs head) I don't actually own any right now.

And thanks for clarifying that you think he wrote the second half because now I will definitely be reading more. Any recommendations???

ElaineY LOL! Buggy, it's been awhile since I read this book and I just bought the audiobook. I read your review again to refresh my memory (I don' know why my review disappeared!) and you got me all confused because there is no Antonio Sanchez nor is he the stranger who fucked Gabriel at the start of the book. I know the stranger ended up being Don Jesus Sanchez's lieutenant but his name is Miguel Ortega. That's his undercover name. His real name is Antonio Lorenzo.
...good reason for you to do a reread. No action-romance has beaten this one to date and it's been 5 years since it came out:)