Shelleyrae at Book'd Out's Reviews > Before The Frost

Before The Frost by Henning Mankell

Apr 28, 10

Read from April 27 to 28, 2010

I was not expecting the Jonestown introduction nor the September 11 ending in a book translated to English from Swedish.
I actually struggled a bit with this book - it took a long time (around quarter of the way through the book) for the events described on the back to finally happen. The pace was slow - nothing hapened til it did and then it went back to meandering everywhere. There were a lot of story threads waving around, but it was difficult to see how they were relevant, even though they tied up reasonably neatly at the end .
I struggled with the characters also, Wallender was on the wrong side of gruff and Linda was not very well developed and so not very likeable. Her naivite in regards to Anna's behaviour also stretched my credulity. It was Ok but I probably won't be reading him again.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before The Frost.

KarenC Don't let this one determine whether you read other Wallander books. I thought it was the worst among the few I've read so far. Wallander IS a moody guy, but generally likeable. And the plots are well done.

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out KarenC wrote: "Don't let this one determine whether you read other Wallander books. I thought it was the worst among the few I've read so far. Wallander IS a moody guy, but generally likeable. And the plots are w..."

Thanks Karen, I may try again :)