Kelly's Reviews > Dark Prince

251943
Apr 27, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read from April 26 to 27, 2010

Oh, boy. Let me start by saying that I knew what I was getting into with this series, I've read all but the last two or three and figured that I'd revisit some of the earlier books before buckling down with those unread ones. The problem I'm having here is that the entire book is so overwrought. Every single moment is life or death. Every breath the two leads take is a burden of desire and longing and physical pain if they can't OMG! be together. I'm not saying that's always a bad thing but it gets old after a while. Let them have a few moments of normalcy before they descend into everlasting angst again. Please. That said, the series does get better as far as I remember. Maybe I've let time gentle the memories and I'll be sadly disappointed when I get around to reading them. I'm kinda hoping not, but we'll see.

Anyway. Mikhail Dubrinsky is the Prince of the Carpathian people whose bleak existence has become unbearable. When he chances upon psychic human Raven Whitney one night he begins to believe that his life is worth living again. There are some bad guys who want to do bad things. There are a lot of misconceptions that fly back and forth between the two of them. There's a lot of sex that happens. Quickly. My biggest peeve is that Raven is not a ... I don't even know how to explain it. She's described as being incredibly strong willed and yet the moment Mikhail tells her to do something she practically drops everything to do it immediately. To top it off, while Mikhail isn't unlikable there are plenty of other characters that I like far better. As the Prince of a dying race he's autocratic and demanding.

Overall, I'd have to say that it's a decent start to the series, but it's no where near the pinnacle of awesomeness that I remember.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Prince.