Smokinhotbooks K.C.'s Reviews > Double Cross

Double Cross by Carolyn Crane

Sep 28, 10

Read from September 16 to 23, 2010

Darn Goodreads and there lack of 1/2 star! This one is 4 1/2 Stars

I’m thinking about that afternoon you came to the empty restaurant, that day after the Alchemist. You were so alone. Nobody saw it, but I did. I always see you. [Packard]

Warning, this book contains an uberhanger. Translation, a cliff-hanger that makes you obsessed with what the hell is going to happen next (in a really good way, we swears!)

SOME SECRETS COME BACK TO HAUNT. OTHERS COME TO KILL.

Justine Jones lived her life as a fearful hypochondriac until she was lured into the web of a mysterious mastermind named Packard, who gifts her with extraordinary mental powers—dooming her to fight Midcity’s shadowy war on paranormal crime in order to find the peace she so desperately craves.

But now serial killers with unheard-of skills are terrorizing the most powerful beings in Midcity, including mastermind Packard and his oldest friend and worst enemy, Midcity’s new mayor, who has the ability to bend matter itself to his will.

As the body count grows, Justine faces a crisis of conscience as she tests the limits of her new powers and faces an impossible choice between two flawed but brilliant men—one on a journey of redemption, the other descending into a pit of moral depravity.

At the close of Mind Games I was myself a little disillusioned as to why Justine would go for a beret-wearing tool like Otto aka Hinjii (proudly displays her Team Packard t-shirt). Yes Packard was a naughty boy for telling some monster fibs that took away Justine's freedom to choose, but who's without some faults? But Otto over Packard...really Justine, what were you thinking! Crane definitely leaves us gasping and saying " Oh no he didn't", at the close of Double Cross and I can't wait to pick up the next book in the series.

Double Cross is another exciting installment in Crane's gifted urban fantasy series that details the triumph of the anti-heros against the Dorks killing off citizens and Hichcaps of Midcity. The interaction between Packard and Justine really makes this 2nd installed shine…maybe even brighter than Mind Games. There are many twists and Oh Em Gee moments where super secrets are revealed and an ending that may have you online stalking Amazon for the 3rd book. Crane's fantastic mixture of both humor and action make this a must read for those looking for a quirky urban fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Cross.

09/23/2010 page 432
100.0% "Oh wowie, this tops the first one hands down."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I'm pea green with envy! ;)

Smokinhotbooks K.C. I'm caressing the book as I type

Bells OMG I loved this review! I just finished the book and I'm sitting here all hyper thinking about it! GAH!