Cindy's Reviews > Under Heaven

May 06, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
Read from April 26 to May 04, 2010

This was my first Guy Gavriel Kay book that I have shown any interest in. And it was quite an experience for myself.

GG Kay's books require a bit of time and thought behind them to fully understand and appreciate them. That's not to say that they can't be read in one sitting I just believe for those that haven't learned to read his style of writing it could take a bit of time to get used to.

Those that are looking for a plot that is straight-forward and upfront probably wouldn't enjoy this novel. While the storyline and characters are captivating, GG Kay takes readers on a round about journey to learn what is going on. There are side stories and side character interactions that take place, that divert from the storyline.

Another aspect that was a bit dizzying to the reader is the repetition of information that was told just pages before. I understand the need to make sure certain points are portrayed but there was no need to repeat them in such a short time span.

On the other hand there is so much detail that made this book amazing. The amount of depth into this whole Asain culture is absolutely mind blowing and really captivating. I couldn't draw myself away from it and really found it convincing.

The plot line while it does take a bit to get into is a bit captivating. There was something that kept me wondering about what would happen with the horses and the whole assassins. It was this ability to leave a reader wanting more that kept me reading.

Overall, it took a bit of time to get used to the writing and long descriptions but it was a great read. The characters and background stories were amazing, and the mystery involved with the main plot was captivating. There is plenty of research and background that went into it and for those that enjoy Asian flared stories this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Heaven.