Leah's Reviews > Lover Unleashed

Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward

Since the people most likely reading this review are people who have actually read and loved the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, I don't think I have to tell you how long I have been waiting for this book--ever since I finished Lover Mine two days after it came out. Because of that, the anticipation built higher and higher with every day that the release date came closer. I almost had a party the day the book was delivered on my doorstep. And in the end, I really did end up loving the book. Really. I did. However, it started off very slowly for me and it took me a little while to actually start getting into the story. Part of it was that I felt like it was odd that for the longest time, there was a very minimal amount of Payne's and Manny's--the heroine and hero--point of view. Another part of it was The Biggest Problem I Had With The Book, which I will address later in this review. However, like I said, I did end up loving it and I'm happy with the way things were resolved.

I loved Payne and Manny. I've seen a few people who said that they weren't particularly enthralled with their story, but I think it's one of the better ones of the series. There was just so much drama involved in their relationship that it made the whole thing that much more entertaining for me. Payne is quite simply an awesome female. She's strong, fierce, intelligent, compassionate, and knows exactly what she wants for her life. I like that in a female and Payne is the epitome of a female of worth, don't you think? Manny, I just loved him. He rocks. I was a little concerned about how he was going to end up staying with Payne. When I first heard that Manny was Payne's male, I developed what I like to call The Butch Theory. If you don't know what I'm talking about from that, you have either not read the series or are very slow. People were throwing out all kinds of ideas for how Manny might be able to be with her, but I still stuck with The Butch Theory. And let me tell you, I'm glad I did because now I can feel victorious because I was right! Mwhahaha!

Okay, so, The Biggest Problem I Had With The Book had to do with Vishous. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. And let me tell you, I did not appreciate the fucking around Ward did with Vishous and Jane. I wouldn't have liked it with any couple--and Ward clearly missed class the day they taught the You Don't Mess With Mated Couples rule--but Vishous and Jane are my favorite couple of the series and I particularly hated Ward throwing every damn problem possible in their way. Now, I can certainly appreciate the fact that it all led up to Butch helping Vishous with his issues concerning the Bloodletter and some other things so that Vishous would be able to be open with his feelings with Jane, but I still did not like it. And now that Jane and Vishous are okay again, Ward better leave them alone in other books!

On that note, I want to address Vishous' new Be Open policy. I love it. I love that he's finally able to talk about how he feels. I love that he's finally completely honest and open with Jane. I awww'ed and got teary-eyed when Vishous went up to Jane in front of all his Brothers and their shellans and wasn't afraid to kiss her and show her how much he loves her. It was truly beautiful.

Qhuinn, oh my beloved Qhuinn...He cut off all his beautiful hair and took out most of his piercings! Whaaaaa? Noooooooo! Not my Qhuinn! Agh! I love that male so much. So much. Some people might think that Qhuinn is just getting what he deserved after what he did to Blay in Lover Mine and blah, blah, blah. No. I don't care. It's so unfair. I loved Qhuinn before I ever loved Blay, so I'm always on his side. I do not like seeing him hurt. At all. It's not cool, Ward! How could you do this to two of my males in the same book!? And, um, no, he is never having any kids with Layla the Ho. I refuse to allow it. If he gets his dick anywhere even near her stupid ass, I will somehow find a way to get into that book and get him away from her. Nuh uh. UGH. Oh, oh, oh! And this shit with Blay and Saxton? It needs to be over. Because Blay and Qhuinn need to sit the fuck down and have a conversation so that Qhuinn can disabuse Blay of the notion that he's doing the Horizontal Tango, Vertical Tango, Bathroom Counter Tango, or whatever with Layla the Ho, and Qhuinn needs to be a male and spit it out that he's in love with Blay to someone other than Layla the Ho. And, all in all, there was far less of Qhuinn than I wanted. There needed to be so much more! Ah!

Xcor is a new character to the series and I'm not sure how I feel about him. At first, I didn't like him at all. But now...now I feel bad for him because he was lied to and misled all these years. I mean, I certainly do not like his plans against Wrath, but I still don't know how I feel about him.

Jose is back! I love seeing him every so often in the books. It's so nice. And I love that he is still somewhat connected to the vampire world. Even if he doesn't know it!

Does Ward have a problem with question marks? I'm just wondering because, 99.99% of the time, she doesn't end her questions with question marks. She ends them with periods. Why? Why would you do that? You end questions with question marks, damn it! Not periods!

At the end of all this, I have to admit that I still have faith in Ward's writing. While I may not like it sometimes, I do. I realized that I have to wait and see where she goes with things. I have to try not to assume anything. Oh, I can still get pissed. Which I most definitely will. But she has the tendency to make you think she's going one way when she ultimately goes another. It's tricksy and frustrating, but ultimately worthwhile. So, I look forward to where she goes with all the loose ends with Tohr's book next.

Favorite Quotes:
"I came to you, Jane. Every night this week, I came to you. I didn't want you to be alone. And I didn't want to sleep without you."
(Vishous, page 156)

Bonded males were nothing without their females.
(Vishous, page 223)

He screamed for all he had lost...screamed for the half male he was...screamed for Jane...screamed for who his parents were and what he wished for his sister...screamed for what he had forced his best friend to do....He screamed and screamed until there was no breath, no consciousness, no nothing.

No past or present.

Not even himself anymore.

And in the midst of the chaos, in the strangest way, he became free.

(Vishous, page 319)

"You're the reason I get out of bed every night. And you're the reason I can't wait to come home every dawn. Not the war. Not the Brothers. Not even Butch. It's...you."
(Vishous, page 343)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unleashed.

Quotes Leah Liked

J.R. Ward
“Love can conquer everything but reality. Which will win every stinking time.”
J.R. Ward, Lover Unleashed

J.R. Ward
“You're the reason I get out of bed every night. And you're the reason I can't wait to come home every dawn. Not the war. Not the Brothers. Not even Butch. It's...you.”
J.R. Ward, Lover Unleashed

03/30/2011 page 1
0.0% "I cannot tell you how excited I am right at this moment." 17 comments
03/30/2011 page 30
6.0% "I am not getting off to a good start with this book. I am sad to say that it's been pretty damn boring so far." 2 comments
03/31/2011 page 44
9.0% "Okay, what's with Jane waxing poetic about how hot Manny is? After reading that, can you really blame Vishous for being nuts when she's with the guy?" 4 comments
03/31/2011 page 86
18.0% "Okay. It's slightly better. I actually laughed once or twice." 13 comments
04/01/2011 page 182
37.0% "Dude. What is with all the headfucks she keeps throwing at Vishous and Jane? It ain't right!" 7 comments
04/01/2011 page 284
58.0% "I love that Manny calls Payne "bambina." So cute!"
04/01/2011 page 319
65.0% "Oh geez. Oh Vishous."
04/01/2011 page 329
67.0% "One thing that bothers the shit out of me about Ward's writing is that 99.99% of the time, she ends her questions with a period not a question mark. Who does that!?" 2 comments
04/02/2011 page 379
78.0% "I don't really care for Xcor at this point but, I'm gonna be honest, that sex scene with him, Throe, and the chickie was kinda hot." 4 comments
04/03/2011 page 489
100.0% "Motherfuking fuck. This shit with Saxton, Blay, and Qhuinn needs to be fucking over already! UGH." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ LOL Leah.....so funny u found this and i added it too even though we dont know the title!!!

Leah I know! LOL. I saw that another one of my friends had added it so I just added it. I cannot wait for Lover Mine and this one LOL

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ this is Payne and Manny's book isnt it? Im looking forward to knowing more about her in LM!!

Leah Yeah, it's Payne and Manny's book. I'm lookign forward to seeing more Manny. I love him now that he's not hitting on Jane, LOL

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ lol....so true! wonder if any of this stuff w/come up....Manny/Jane, Xhex/Butch....gonna be a lot of people in that house!! Also, do u think Butch's father is Manny's? curious how that whole thing will play out!

Leah Yeah, I don't know. I'm wondering how they'll introduce Manny to the world of vampires and how they'll explain how Jane is a ghost, LOL. I don't think the Xhex and Butch thing will matter too much because there coulda been some of that in Lover Avenged when Xhex was staying there but there wasn't. I never thought of that, but I guess it's possible that Butch's real father could be Manny's dad, too. Interesting theory. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ well, Manny knows about Jane being a ghost...remember she went back and saw him to say goodbye? It will still be interesting!!

Leah But he thought he was dreaming, remember?

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ ur right....and i just read that!! LOL

message 10: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL. Yeah, so, he has to be brought back in Lover Mine to a relatively large extent in order to build up to his and Payne's book so I wonder how that's going to happen. Man, I cannot wait for Lover Mine to come in the mail! LOL

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ i just saw another friends comment about V thinking that Manny was his brother....i remember something about that when he went to get his xray...now THAT would be weird!!

message 12: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I don't think he's V's brother. I do remember V thinking "brother" when he saw Manny but he calls all the Brothers that so I think it was just metaphorical for his future relationship with the Brothers.

message 13: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Isn't Payne V's sister? If Manny was his bro than Payne would be manny's sis, ewwwwww, lol

message 14: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yeah, that would be really gross, LOL.
I think if he ends up being anyone's blooded brother, it's most likely to be Butch's because Manny is human, too, like Butch

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ lol Sammy that would be ewwwww!!

message 16: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yeah, I really don't think JRW will have an incestual HEA so...LOL

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Great review. I just loved this one so much!!

Love your quotes!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Awesome review Leah doll! And oh I so agree with you on everything! Except maybe the stuff with V and Jane LOL. I kinda loved the stuff that happened between them that got them really together finally. And guess what? I love Jane fully now :D

And reading your review I remembered how the lack of question marks annoyed me too. A few times I had to reread cause I did the emphasis wrong. Yeah, annoyed with that.

LMAO!! You cracked me up with the stuff you wrote about Qhuinn and Layla :D I actually read them twice LOL.

message 19: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Thanks, Dhes. I love the quotes, too, and I found it highly ironic that all the quotes I wrote in my review were Vishous quotes. Oh, Vishous...

Oh, just leave Vishous alone, Sam. LOL. And thanks ;)

message 20: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Thanks, Gokce babe. I can appreciate the fact that it finally brought them together totally and completely, but I did not appreciate Ward making Vishous look like a complete asshole throughout most of the book. And since he and Jane are my favorites, it was even more painful for me to read that.

Me too! I would read it like a statement and then realize it was actually a question! Can we get proper punctuation, please?! LOL

LOL! Thank you! Yeah, I do not approve of anything going on with those two!

Polina Loved your review! I can't wait to read the book. I can't imagine seeing Quinn suffer, he's one of my favorite characters. And I hate Layla (The Ho? :D) too. Quinn deserves better!!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Polina wrote: "Quinn deserves better!!! "

Oh, Lord, don't get me started! LOLOLOL

Lady Allison Great review, love! LOL! Layla the Ho!!! Love it. She'd better not fuck with Qhuinn! I need them to be together.

You called the Butch/Manny thing? That's pretty cool, I totally didn't catch that.

Great quotes! I agree, the part where V was open with her in front of the Brothers was so beautiful.

message 24: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah @Polina
Thank you! There is very mininal Qhuinn in this book, but when he is there...oh, the suffering is intense. And I totally agree that he deserves better than Layla the Ho! LOL

@Dhes
Don't get ME started! I get so mad when I talk about that. LOL.

@Alli
Thank you! I totally agree! Qhuinn and Blay all the way, baby! I did call that! I was pretty happy with myself that I was right, LOL. Thank you again! It was, oh it was so beautiful. I love that Vishous!