Willie's Reviews > Luna

Luna by Julie Anne Peters

U_50x66
Jul 10, 10

Snapshot: Liam became Lia became Luna. Regan is the only one who knows her brother’s secret. By day he is Liam, and by night she becomes Luna, a teenaged girl trapped in a boy’s body. This compelling novel by Julie Anne Peters chronicles the day-to-day lives of Regan and Liam as they attempt to sort out their lives and identities during those difficult high school years.

“Hook”: The first chapter. While it is only 3 pages long, it lives up the name “hook.” “Yeah I loved her,” writes Julie Anne Peters. “I couldn’t help it. She was my brother.” This sudden twist pulls the reader in and makes them want to read more.

Challenges: The issues that are discussed in this novel require a certain maturity that not all of our students have.

Student in mind: This is a great book for anyone who is having a difficult time understanding their identity.

Notes: Be prepared to discuss transexuality. Also, the difference between gender and sex will certainly come up in conversation. Preface the reading of the book with a conversation to make sure that the classroom is a safe space.

Level: High School. Medium.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luna.