Amanda's Reviews > Trance

Trance by Linda Gerber

Sep 25, 10

bookshelves: ya-fiction, arc
Read from September 23 to 24, 2010, read count: 1

First, a question: Does anyone know if Trance is supposed to be middle grade or young adult? It feels like it could be either one - a fairly clean middle grade book with an older protagonist or a simpler young adult read. Either way, though, it's a fantastic, fast-paced read!

Gerber creates a mysterious mythology in Ashlyn and Kyra's trances. I loved reading about the different systems of numerology - something I hadn't known about before - and how they tied in to the mystery.

It's hard not to feel sympathy for Ashlyn. First, her mother was killed in an accident - while Ashlyn was behind the wheel. Then her sister left with no forwarding address and her father retreated into his work and is gone on business meetings most of the time. Between the guilt and the lack of a support system, Ashlyn truly feels like she has no one to count on. She thought the trances had left along with her sister, but when they reappear, Ashlyn has no idea what to do. She can't figure out the trances without the half that her sister sees.

Trance is a little predictable - the reader can figure out what's going on long before Ashlyn. But it's still very satisfactory to see her put everything back together. I really enjoyed this story, and I hope there will be a sequel. I will be purchasing it sometime in the near future for my younger brother.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trance.