Rozanne's Reviews > Casting with a Fragile Thread: A Story of Sisters and Africa

Casting with a Fragile Thread by Wendy Kann

Dec 10, 07

Recommended for: I wouldn't recommend it.

The first half of the book was quite interesting, but I ended up really disliking the author by the time I finished her book. Seems to me like as soon as Rhodesia became Zimbabwe she left and went to find another place in which she could continue to a live a life of privilege, entitlement, and obliviousness to those who are less fortunate than herself. She lands in Westport, Connecticut, which I'm sure fits the bill perfectly for her (even though she spends a good deal of time moaning about how she doesn't fit in. Oh, boo hoo.) She returns to Zimbabwe in the late '90s but devotes less than a paragraph of her book to a discussion of the political situation there. What? She doesn't even notice that nearly half of Zimbabweans have AIDs, the economy is in freefall, and the nation has something like the worst record of human rights abuses in the world, thanks to Robert Mugabe's repressive regime. No. When she returns to Zimbabwe she goes shopping with her sister and they gossip about who's gotten divorced, etc. Ugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Casting with a Fragile Thread.