Reading Teen (Andye)'s Reviews > The Near Witch

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

Sep 28, 11

bookshelves: clean-read
Read in April, 2011

"Entirely original yet achingly familiar." I seriously can't explain this book any better than that. It is so true. It's like every Grimm's Fairy Tale you've ever heard, yet something completely its own. I was immediately swept up in Victoria's lyrical writing. I love fairy tales. And she has a way of bringing her fairy tale to life.

The town of Near is described so magically. You can feel the thickness of the fog, and hear the wind whispering it's story. As the children were snatched from their beds, you find yourself holding your breath, wondering if Lexi or someone she loves will be taken next. While I was reading The Near Witch, I was sitting out on my back deck, and the wind was howling. I seriously wondered then, about powers of Victoria Schwab. It made chills run up and down my spine!

The cast of characters was so perfect for this type of book. Lexi was fantastic. Everything about her is like a blend of contemporary and traditional. Even her name. She is strong, fierce, independent, but also curious, mischievous, and ready to break the rules to follow her heart. Cole is mysterious and other-worldly. You never know whether you should completely trust him, but you know that you want to. I also love the sisters Magda and Dreska. They are, at the same time, creepy and comforting. Their wisdom is delivered with snark, and you never know what to expect from them.

Beautifully crafted, fantastically written, and deliciously creepy, The Near Witch is sure to be an instant classic.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Near Witch.