Krystal's Reviews > The Scent of Rain and Lightning

2561960
Aug 19, 10

bookshelves: fiction, first-reads
Read from August 17 to 19, 2010

I enjoyed this read but I didn't love it. I had some issues with the format of how she chose to tell the story. Build-ups of mysteries are all well and good but she stopped the action with the characters we'd just met to go spend half the book telling us how the mystery was set up. That's right, set up. You don't get the answer for another half of the book and for me, it just took to long to get to the pay-off. I would have liked it better if she'd stayed with the heroine and told the back story in flashbacks scattered throughout the book than one long chunk of history in one place. Killed the momentum of the story for me. I skimmed a lot just to get back to the heroine who I found more interesting. Though, I'll be the first to admit, the pay off was well worth it to keep reading and took me by surprise. I'd seen part of it coming but not all of it.

Pickard's language is lyrical and pretty to read. Her characters for the most part are likable and well developed though I thought the love story element of the book was a bit contrived as well as the sudden redemption of a character in the end.

Overall, a good mystery that I kept reading to find out what would happen next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scent of Rain and Lightning.