Joella www.cinjoella.com's Reviews > Epitaph Road

Epitaph Road by David Patneaude

Apr 26, 10

bookshelves: sci-fi

Epitaph Road just came out March 23, 2010. I read this was a good book to read while waiting for Mockingjay to come out in August. They were right. This book is amazing! It has the futuristic dystopia that Hunger Games has, but with a very different spin.

Basically Kellen is a boy born after what is called Elisha's Bear. Elisha's Bear is an event that happened on August 8, 2067 where most of the world's populations of males were killed. Now there are about 13 girls for every one boy. Life has changed. There is virtually no crime, no drugs, and no war. There are super countries. North America is all one country with San Diego as the capitol. Kellen is special because not only is he a boy, is a boy who has a real father--not just someone who was born in a dish and implanted in a mother. When Kellen learns that another outbreak of Elisha's Bear is coming and his father will be in danger, Kellen knows he must do something.

Anyway, you get the idea. I am dying for fellow book readers to read this and talk about it! As far as I know this is a stand alone book. Good ending. A little opening for a sequel in this world...but who knows. Obviously I read this one book (and looked at the author's website and didn't see any hint of a sequel) and was still satisfied. It is amazing! Five power-house, golden stars. This book screams, "Read me quick so you can talk about me to all your friends!"
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Epitaph Road.

Lisa Nocita Joella, I totally agree with the questions you raise. I too felt they were raised but not addressed to any degree. This is where the book falls short for me because it treats these questions rather superficially. But they are great questions! And it would make for a lively discussion! So even though we disagree on the overall success of the plot, we do agree about the talking points. Thanks for your review! Lisa

"This book kept me from sleep long after I read it. I kept going over and over the book's events in my mind. I kept thinking about choices that some of the characters made. For example, is doing something that seems wrong sometimes good if it is for the benefit of the society at large? What about forcing other characters to do something even if it goes against their grain? Can people really be "good" or "bad" based on if they are male and female? What do stereotypes have to do with how society works/doesn't work? Can one person really make a difference in a big bad world? Why do teenagers and their mothers (or fathers) often see the world so differently? I could keep going. I told you I was thinking long after I should have been asleep!"