Rob Russin's Reviews > Saving Fish from Drowning

Dec 07, 07

liked it
bookshelves: books-of-2007
Read in December, 2007

I really wasn't expecting much from this one, considering how many Amy Tan fans were disappointed in it. I finished reading it this morning, though, and even though I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it yet, I think that it's going to be one of those ones that sticks with me.

I've been a huge fan of Amy Tan for years, and I've read everything she's ever written. I feel uncomfortable comparing this book to her other ones, because it's such a huge departure. As much as I love Amy, her books did sort of always follow a formula. I think a lot of what I loved about this book wasn't necessarily its own merits, but the fact that Amy is noticeably trying something completely different than what she did before, and trying to grow as a writer. There are times in the book where this is really effective, but also many moments where she seems uncomfortable and even awkward, which is a first for her.

But I don't think that's necessarily bad. I had a few moments while reading this where I felt really EXCITED by some of the missteps, because I felt her taking risks and stepping outside of her comfort zones. I feel like this is probably a transitional book for her, and I'm really excited about what she's going to write next. I think it's going to be something brilliant and unlike anything else she's done before.

So, three stars from me -- bonus points for being brave and taking a chance. If I could I'd go up to 3 1/2.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Fish from Drowning.