Patrick's Reviews > Wrench in the System: What's Sabotaging Your Business Software and How You Can Release the Power to Innovate

Wrench in the System by H. Hambrose

Apr 26, 2010

liked it
Recommended to Patrick by: Chris Laffra
Read in May, 2010

I really just skimmed this book - it was preaching to the choir. "products are designed by engineers and thus poorly designed". And I guess some tips about design throughout the book.

Reading the first part of the book, I was struck by two examples the author provided:

1) a crude picture of the layout of St Peter's Basilica, with the note: "The vast cathedral of St. Peter's has a floor plan that can be immediately understood." Which is not true, for me. I can't make out much about the floor plan from the picture. Is it because I'm not familiar with St. Peter's? Or don't happen to remember the layout of cathedrals (not a practicing Catholic)?

2) a comparison of something to a cuff link. I've never used cuff links, so I had no idea what he was talking about.

Both of these examples were pretty good anti-examples of what the author was actually trying to communicate - that people produce products without giving much thought to their audience. While the remainder of the book may have been good, seeing these two examples were enough to put me in skim mode for the remainder of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wrench in the System.