Zen Cho's Reviews > Summer of the Big Bachi

Summer of the Big Bachi by Naomi Hirahara

Apr 26, 10

bookshelves: written-by-poc, war, asia, crime-or-mystery

Really liked this, and will look out for the next book. I found Mas interesting and sympathetic and liked the portrayal of a multicultural community -- felt much more convincing than the whitewashed pictures of USA you get via TV and movies. Also thought the portrayal of the dilemma of the PoC growing up in a white-majority country -- what am I, what should I be etc. etc. -- was interestingly done. It had nuance.

I'm not sure if the way Hirahara transliterated Japanese-accented English is how I'd have done with it, but I prefer it to a pretence that all Englishes are the same. And I liked it in a way; having the main character and many of his friends speak "broken" English made it the norm. So I guess I fall on the side of thinking it's cool. (I probably would be more dubious if Hirahara was white -- when Alexander McCall Smith made the opposite decision in writing Malaysian English, writing Malaysian characters' dialogue in perfectly grammatical standard English, I thought that was the right decision for him and would probably have been annoyed if he'd tried writing Manglish.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of the Big Bachi.