Bill Memorial Library 's Reviews > Sing Me to Sleep

Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison

Apr 26, 10

Read in April, 2010

Angela Morrison's Sing Me To Sleep is the story of Beth, and girl who is known as The Beast in her school because she is unattractive. Her best friend is Scott, who sticks by her when she is bullied. Beth is a terrific singer who's choir enters a competition in Switzerland. Prior to her trip, she is transformed into a Beauty, although she still harbors doubts about herself. Once in Europe, Beth meets Derek, a soloist in a rival choir. They develop a relationship that is ultimately put to the test by a dark secret.
I wanted to like this book a lot, because it was thought to have elements of Phantom of the Opera as well as Beauty and the Beast, two of my favorite stories. And the book was well written and lyrical. However, I felt the need to have Beth be such an unattractive girl that she needed a major transformation, including plastic surgery, was an unnecessary part of the story, except to show that Scott had feelings for her and accepted her before her "change". Her relationship with Derek seemed rushed, he fell for her simply by listening to her sing, even before he actually met her. Derek had a secret that kept their relationship tense and Beth second-guessing who she should be with. Without giving the ending away, I didn't like the ending at all, but many people will.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sing Me to Sleep.