CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?'s Reviews > Deception

Deception by Amanda Quick

Apr 26, 10

bookshelves: historical-romance, romance
Read on April 26, 2010

I am a believer that romance novels should NOT be hilarious when the hero and the heroine are finally getting it on. Unless it's a rom-com/chick-lit book.

So imagine my surprise when I start reading this book and so far it's ok. The prose is a little ... high drama for me and the heroine is flightier than a hummingbird on crack, but the plot seems like it may redeem the heroine's character flaws and the hero's brooding ways.

Then I get to the scene where Olympia and Jared kiss and I have to shake my head because it's almost like reading a badly written Shakespeare verse. Nothing screams awkward like hearing the hero refer to his love as a 'siren' for whom 'he would gladly get lost at sea for' and that their romance is 'a journey' that he 'doesn't want to turn away from'.

Really? That's too much talking.

Don't get me wrong I like a little dialogue with my romance/sex/teasing scenes, it builds up the chemistry and the eventual act. What I don't need is amateur poet night at the local drama club.

Now, aside from the laughable dialogue which distracted me from any lovemaking what so ever, the fact the plot didn't really go anywhere was annoying as all get out.

Olympia moves from one library to another while Jared is resolutely not helping her when he really really should be. His family owns the diary that Olympia's uncle found for her and had shipped back to England. Jared was just supposed to make sure that the diary got there safe. BUT his family sort of owns the diary because the author is his great-great grandmother. There is a treasure to be had if they can figure out what the diary says and what the codes mean and hey, it all stems from a fued between the GGG's of the Ryder family and the Yorke family.

Anyhoo, once Jared sees Olympia he realizes that must have her
so he, who is a Viscount with the heart of a merchant, who looks like a pirate (complete with one eye and longish hair) decides to become the tutor of Olympia's three unruly nephews.

Being capable, Jared manages to tame the children, become her financial advisor/manager and woo the shite out of her with his tales of worldly escapes and his mutterings of sweet poetic gobshite.

The ending was an extreme case of the hand of the author where everything is not only tied up neatly but that there are no real villains oh and everyone loves each other and everything is okay again blah blah blah.

The good thing about this was that there were two lesbian relationships and neither were used as fodder for any kind of joke or discrimination. I liked that it was progressive in that sense. It would've been better if the pirate tutor (who can be quite overbearing) and the flighty teacher hadn't been the stars of the show.

Oh, there was also bit of role reversal in which Jared takes care of the details of the house, schedules, kids and money so that Olympia can continue her research and her writing hobby. Again, another point on the progressive scale.

There are certainly some cute and funny moments that were meant to be both funny and cute.

However, all of the good stuff combined doesn't make this book worthy enough to keep. Granted, this book is a little dated - written in 1994 - and I'm sure for the time it was awesome (this was the hardcover debut of Amanda Quick).

Is this book itself awful? No, I suppose it's fun and it does have its moments. It's a quick read and is a good summer vacation read but I don't know. I was expecting more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deception.

04/26/2010 page 238
69.59% "I sort of want to smack Olympia. Stop using the word "passion" every fifteen words!!!!!!"
04/26/2010 page 239
69.88% "Ugh.Oh Olympia you are almost too stupid to live. Intelligent, pretty and flightier than a hummingbird on crack - you wax poetic too often."
04/26/2010 page 239
69.88% "This is getting painful. I shouldn't be laughing during sessy times" 2 comments

message 1: by The Holy Terror (last edited Apr 26, 2010 04:34PM) (new)

The Holy Terror I think your first sentence is missing a "not"

CJ - So, you wanna play with magic? Thanks for the look out, otherwise the review would've been something else entirely :)

message 3: by Vered (new)

Vered hero refer to his love as a 'siren' for whom 'he would gladly get lost at sea for' and that their romance is 'a journey' that he 'doesn't want to turn away from'

I’m sure we all secretly wish someone would whisper sea analogies in our ears during sex!

LMAO!

CJ - So, you wanna play with magic? Vered wrote: "hero refer to his love as a 'siren' for whom 'he would gladly get lost at sea for' and that their romance is 'a journey' that he 'doesn't want to turn away from'

I’m sure we all secretly wish s..."

OMG it's worse because at one point he mentions how wet she is, just like the warm seas.

I would run to the nearest exit and fly like the wind if I had a lover that did that, dashing pirate look alike or no!

message 5: by Vered (new)

Vered LMAO!!

Not sure I’d be able to run, being frozen from the shock and all xD

CJ - So, you wanna play with magic? lol

Oh I'm sure you could find enough wind to hoist the mast and sail on out of there ;)

message 7: by Vered (new)

Vered You put too much trust in my strength :D