Mollie *scoutrmom*'s Reviews > Dark Peril

Dark Peril by Christine Feehan

Sep 02, 10

bookshelves: paranormal, romance, read-in-2010, read-in-2012, read-in-2013
Recommended for: fans of paranormal romance
Read from February 19 to 21, 2013, read count: 3

I absolutely adored this book. If you have not been reading the series, that's all you need to know. I suggest you quit reading this review here and now, and go back to the beginning of the series. Go to the public library and get started! NOW!

I love the way Dominic has infinite patience with Solange's insecurities, the way he will wait and let her learn something rather than trying to instruct. He is the exact opposite of the Prince and Gregori. I don't know if it's his Dragonseeker blood, or the fact that he had given up on finding a lifemate, but this patience makes him the perfect mate for Solange. He appreciates her strengths, and other than bringing her to an appreciation of her softer side, he makes no effort to change who she is. He can let her keep her warrior side, and protect without smothering. He can fight by her side. He can wait for her to learn to trust him.

A large part of the book deals with Solange's battered heart, her fear of loving because she has lost nearly everyone she ever loved, and her fear of males because of the abuse she has battled. She learns that her scars do not make her ugly. She learns to appreciate her own sensuality. The high quality of the emotional growth she experiences put this book into the five out of five category.

For those who have been following the series, the Jaguar male plot thread appears to be completed with this story. The ongoing vampires' conspiracy plot thread is expanded but not settled, I can see that it will be part of the next book.

One feature that had been missing or downplayed in earlier books is addressed here: the use of modern technology by paranormal beings. The bad guys had been compiling a database that the good guys could find useful, and Dominic had to take instruction from young Josef on how to steal the data and destroy the evildoers' network. We also learn that the vampires are utilizing satellites to track the Prince.

I also liked the scenes that include Zacarias De La Cruz. I hope he gets his happily ever after soon. Mary Ann, Juliette, Jasmine and the younger De La Cruz brothers are mentioned in this book but do not appear.

Borders had this for 30% off, and as a Borders' Rewards member I was able to get another $5 off. Not bad for a hardcover!

Another one for the keeper shelf, definitely.

(view spoiler)

I'm going to be reading this again and again and again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Peril.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mollie *scoutrmom* Warning, minor spoilers in the bottom of the review.

message 2: by Robynz33 (new)

Robynz33 I love her other series and for some reason have not checked this one out. Maybe I can find the older ones on sale. I should ask Pam!!!

Amanda just though I'd add a quick comment Dominic isn't the first Carpathian for the conversion to be two way. I'm not sure if you've read Dark Possession or not but Manolito also becomes converted by his lifemate. But I will say the way the conversion worked for Dominic is definitely a bit different than how it's worked for any of the other Carpathians. It's strange, not sure where Feehan is going with it.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I can't believe that I forgot that this was coming out! I love this series!

Fab review Mollie, it sounds like CF is expanding her heroes character traits a bit.

Rossy Fantastic review, Mollie! I have to agree with you 100%.

Debbie Just bought this one a few days ago.

Mollie *scoutrmom* Amanda wrote: "just though I'd add a quick comment Dominic isn't the first Carpathian for the conversion to be two way. I'm not sure if you've read Dark Possession or not but Manolito also becomes converted..."

Thanks, Amanda. I read it, but it was before I joined Goodreads and started keeping records so I'd forgotten that. (I want to read the whole series beginning to end again, this series is one of the few that did not get ruined in our July flooding.)

@ Robyn, I think you ought to acquire all 21 ... I love them.

@ Rossy, thank you.