Melissa's Reviews > The Other Side of Dawn

The Other Side of Dawn by John Marsden

Jul 20, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads, action-adventure, australian, favourites, post-apocalyptic, young-adult
Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I read this book in one night. I knew the war had to end in this book and while I'm not completely happy with how it happened I'm glad that it did.

I loved these characters. I was so invested in everything they did. I loved Fi for her innocence; Ellie for being the leader and the hard one, Lee for being brutal, Homer for his bravery, and Kevin for his cowardice. Of course, this isn't the only thing but it was what made me love them so much. I didn't want to let go, really, I'm still trying.

The book follows them approaching D-Day, the day New Zealand will launch the be-all-end-all attack against the enemy. The group has accepted the chance to do as much damage to the enemy to distract the enemy. After their first attack everything goes downhill fast. Ellie is separated from the others, shot, and ends up in an enemy held hospital. From there she is sentenced and transferred to a prison camp. She has been told the others are dead and she stays there until her identity as the famous terrorist/guerilla is discovered and she must escape. She finds her mum (convenient) and then the war ends.

I loved it. I did. I was devastated when Ellie was caught and absolutely broken when I found out the others were dead (or were they?). I wanted Ellie to be happy but things never really became that wonderfully normal that you would expect.

The final part of the ending: Fitting. I enjoyed it immensely.

I am going to miss these characters.

Life goes on. War doesn't leave you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side of Dawn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Wow Mel, i can't believe you haven't read them before now. They're so good though aren't they? I've reread them so many times and they just never get old.

Melissa We read different books through school and my local library didn't have a very approachable YA section so I skipped from kids to adults. All the YA I read... I guess I'm making up for lost time? :)

message 3: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Fair enough. My public library wasn't very good with the YA either... they had it but it was all mixed up with the adult. Luckily the school library was semi decent and they didn't ban heaps of stuff even though it was a catholic school... damn now you've made me want to reread them again and i have so much other stuff i need to read.