Melissa's Reviews > The Night is For Hunting

The Night is For Hunting by John Marsden

Jul 20, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-reads, australian, action-adventure, post-apocalyptic
Read from June 29 to July 18, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I love this series. Just when I thought Marsden must be slowing down, winding up the series he brings out the big guns. This book, starts out not dissimilar to the previous five, well, most of them anyway, and follows the basic formula for a while.

The group is on the run after their latest contribution to the war effort when they discover a gang of kids doing it rough in Stratton. After more events the group ends up with these kids back near Hell where they must deal with more mouths to feed, the lack of trust from the war orphans, and their own feelings on the war they see mirrored in the kids.

I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. The start blew my mind. Honestly, most quick paced call-to-action so far and definitely the biggest for the series.

The characters are almost at breaking point within themselves and with each other. I was so torn about being inside Ellie's head. At times it was a beautiful glimpse at overcoming things and yet it was heart-breaking at the same time. Fi is so much stronger. Lee is so distant and cold. Homer is typical Homer and Kevin is still cowardly, which is brilliant.

Going back to Hell and bonding with the kids while the war rages on was touching. Giving them Christmas made me cry and I never thought that these guys would be able to pull something normal-ish off during the war.

I can't wait for the movies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night is For Hunting.

06/29/2010 page 18
06/30/2010 page 25
10.0% "Jim read to me last night <3"
07/18/2010 page 140
55.0% "Loving the different storyline."