Paula Hebert's Reviews > Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals

Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin

F_50x66
Apr 25, 10

Read in April, 2010

temple grandin has a phd in animal husbandry and is a professor at colorado university. she is also autistic. I have read about her occasionally, and decided I wanted to know more. this book studies the basic emotions that all animals possess, and teaches us how to recognize them, so that we can better train and communicate with them, and give them a better quality of life, whether they are our pets or are being raised for food. naturally, being a pet owner, I was most interested in the cats and dogs chapters, but she also covers horses, pigs, chickens, wild animals and zoo animals. she works with many of the fast food chains like mcdonalds and wendys in order to create more humane (and consequently more profitable) treatment of their animals. the hardest part it shames me to say is retraining humans to treat the animals with dignity and respect. but she is making great steps forward, getting the industry leaders to begin implementing her techniques. I intend to read her biography next, and I heard that a movie based on her life should be opening soon. watch for it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals Make Us Human.