Colleen Martin's Reviews > 'Salem's Lot

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Dec 05, 2007

bookshelves: horror-sci-fi, favorites
Read in December, 2014

** spoiler alert ** Definitive vampire story (alongside Bram Stoker's). Some scenes, like the one where Father Callahan confronts Barlow in the kitchen, were so utterly terrifying that I actually had nightmares. Love this book.

Update (June 2010): While some of the references are a bit dated (people seriously smoked EVERYWHERE in the '70s), the story holds up incredibly well. It's been so long since I last read 'Salem's Lot that I'd forgotten most of what happened, and was deliciously scared the entire time. Danny Glick knocking on Mark Petrie's bedroom window, asking to be let in, Matt Burke confronting a newly-transformed Mike Ryerson in his upstairs bedroom, Mark's escape from the Marsten house, Ben's race against the setting sun in the basement of the boarding house and, of course, Father Callahan losing his faith in the presence of such evil...I could be here all day, there are that many nail-biting scenes in this book. This is quintessential Stephen King and is one of my favorites in his catalog.

Read: a whole bunch of times, most recently in 2010, 2014
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Salem's Lot.

11/22/2014 marked as: currently-reading
12/03/2014 page 240
56.0% "Ahhhh, I love Stephen King Easter eggs! "He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts"!"
12/12/2014 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by orangerful (new) - added it

orangerful I need to read 'Salem's Lot' - I had a Stephen King phase in middle school but burnt myself out and never went back into his older stuff. Maybe next Halloween season :)

Colleen Martin It's a great book...no sparkly, fangless vampires here; just pure, unadulterated horror. And it's been so long since I last read it, I'll be scared all over again! :-)
SK will always be my favorite writer...going back and re-reading his books are like visiting with old friends. Some of his newer, post-accident ones are kinda weird ("Dreamcatcher" was definitely not his best), but I think he's finding his rhythm again. "Under the Dome" was great (and quick for a 1000+ page book).

message 3: by orangerful (new) - added it

orangerful Yeah, I find I like every OTHER Stephen King book...which actually means I need to pick up 'Under the Dome' if my calculations are correct. haha.