Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*'s Reviews > Halo

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
886144
EDIT: Okay, okay. The troll situation on this review is just starting to get out of hand, so I think I should clarify a few things. First of all, if you're too immature to tolerate other people's opinions, just don't read this review and write your own. Please. I respect your opinion, and if you like this book, that's totally fine with me. I just don't like it. I'm entitled to my opinion just as you're entitled to yours.

Secondly ... if you create a second fake account so that you can agree with your own comments on your first account, I will know it's you. Trust me. I've been on this website for like five years, I've seen every troll trick in the world, and I'm not an idiot. Let's not stoop to that level, shall we?

Thirdly. Yes, I do want to be an author someday. And yes, in this review I express some jealousy towards Alexandra Adornetto because she was able to get her book published so easily. What can I say? As a writer, it is difficult to see poorly-written books get published. But you trolls must understand a couple of things:

A) So, I mention in this review that I have submitted to agents and that I have received more rejections than I can count. Whether or not I can get a book published has nothing to do with my reviews, and you shouldn't be making personal attacks against me in the first place––but anyway, just because none of my work is published doesn't mean that I'm a "bad writer." In fact, I have been told by many agents that I am a good writer. Publishing is a difficult and complicated process, and contrary to popular belief, it has very little to do with how "good" a book is. It has more to do with what's marketable at the moment. And apparently, teens still want to read Twilight rip-offs. So anyway ... unless you actually know what publishing is like at all, I don't want to see any more of these comments about me being a bad writer and so on.

B) I didn't write this review purely out of spite or jealousy or anything like that. I genuinely did not like the book. Yes, I am envious that the publishing process was so easy for Adornetto. However, I am not envious of her actual book. This is not the type of story I want to write, nor the type of characters I want to create, etc. I'm not so immature that I would give a book a one-star rating just because I was somewhat jealous of the author. I mean hey, I'm jealous that S.E. Hinton got The Outsiders published when she was 16, but I love that book. Same goes for Mary Shelley, who wrote and published Frankenstein when she was 19. The difference is, I like their styles and I think their characters actually have depth. And in my opinion, their books are very good. So look, the fact that I can be jealous of other young writers has very little to do with whether or not I like their books. A good book is a good book. That's all there is to it.

So, yeah. Enough with the trolls. If you are closed-minded or immature and/or you just plain don't know what the heck you're talking about, kindly keep your mouth shut. Because trust me, I do not tolerate trolls. If you are a troll ...



Also, you will probably be attacked by an angry mob if you troll this review. If you don't believe me, just read through the comments and that should probably scare you off.

Now, now. Back to the actual review:

*Takes a deep breath* It's been a long time since a book pissed me off so much. To be perfectly honest, I am bitter. Very bitter. So if that makes me biased, so be it, but I can't help myself. I'm the same age as Alexandra Adornetto, and I've been trying to get published for about three years now. I've been working my butt off, writing and rewriting and editing and submitting to agents. And by now I've received more rejections than I can count, so ... that's rather discouraging. Then I read about this book, and how Adornetto first got published because she sent her manuscript off to HarperCollins one day, unagented, and they just decided to publish it. Wonderful. So I assume that means she's pretty awesome, right? … Unfortunately, not the case. Feel free to doubt me, but I think it's fair to say that I have written better than this, and I know I've read writing by authors her age or younger who are a lot more skilled than she is. So why is this book published? Why? It's really the kind of story I would tear to bits (figuratively) if I was asked to critique it on some sort of teen writing website.

Okay, I'll give Adornetto props for a few things. First of all, I understand how much work it is to be a teen writer. It's very difficult to juggle writing with schoolwork and your social life, etc. The fact that she had the patience to write a 500-page novel at her age is admirable. And I know she's been writing books since she was 14, so that's pretty cool. Also, her writing style isn't the most terrible in the world. But pretty much every other aspect of the book is very flat and clichéd.

My first impression of the book was not a good one. I open it up to see two quotes in the front page. One is a Shakespeare quote from Romeo and Juliet (Okay … a bit clichéd, but that's cool I guess). And sitting beneath it is … a Beyoncé quote. Beyoncé. You quoted Beyoncé at the beginning of your book. And it's not even a good quote, it's just "Baby I can see your halo / You know you're my saving grace." Oh, haha, that's funny because that song is called Halo and your book is called Halo … so you named your book after a Beyoncé song. How … creative. (Someone just shoot me now.)

On to the actual book. Let's begin with the characters. First of all, Bethany is one of the most boring and least likable main characters I have ever encountered. There's just … not much to say about her. She's an angel, she's unnaturally beautiful (and insists on reminding the reader of this at every chance she gets), innocently ignorant, needy, pathetic, whiney … oh, the list goes on and on. I just wanted to slap her. Her tone is just so two-dimensional. She's either making her "Humans are so silly!" remarks or her "Xavier is the love of my life and I neeeed him every moment of my life ever!" Ugh. She is supposedly an angel with special powers, yet she never seems to put these powers to use. She might as well have not had such powers at all. Basically all she could do was fly and occasionally heal people and herself (BTW, for some reason––she was able to save a girl who was bleeding to death after a car accident, but she didn't heal Xavier's ankle when he fractured it? Uhh, WHAT?!). Other than that, she obsessed over Xavier and got herself into dangers in which other people had to come and save her butt.

Her "siblings" were equally boring. The three of them together seemed rather pathetic to me. What I don't understand is, they were sent to earth in order to help this community become a better place, yet they hardly seem to accomplish this. All they do is sit around and learn to act human. So much for "battling the dark forces". I was expecting some epic fight scenes to come out of this book or something, but noooo.

Xavier was the stereotypical, "protective hot guy" who had absolutely no flaws. Oh yeah I forgot, he DID have a flaw: He has … baggage. Yup, his girlfriend who he was very much in love with (supposedly) died in a tragic accident, so he will never love again! Oh, unless you're a sexy angel and for God knows what reason your hotness changes his mind (and it's nothing but your hotness, considering you have absolutely no personality). *eyeroll*

Then there were Bethany's human "friends". Oh. Dear. God. Don't even get me started. It was like a freaking joke. Adornetto surrounds Bethany with the world's most shallow and boring characters, probably just to make Bethany look even more angelic. At the center of this crowd of cardboard characters is Molly, but other than that there's a handful of other random girls who show up here and there––and jeez, you'd think Adornetto wouldn't be sexist considering she's a girl and has probably been stereotyped before. *Long pause* But, no. All of these teen girl characters were portrayed as disgustingly shallow. I am not exaggerating when I say that they ONLY talked about boys, clothes, make-up, prom, etc. Molly spent the entirety of the book mooning over Bethany's brother Gabriel and changing herself in any way possible in order to get his attention. It was really just … offensive. How you could get away with such grotesquely boring side-characters, I don't even know. But it made me feel insulted––both as a woman and as a writer.


Then there was the plot––or lack thereof, rather. 500 pages of … well … pretty much nothing. And what little plot was leftover was painfully predictable. I don't understand what kind of editor allowed this book to be so long, when about half (or more) of it could have (and should have) been cut out. The beginning was very slow, filled with pointless descriptions and info dumps. The (extremely boring and stereotypical) villain, Jake Thorn, didn't even appear until more than halfway through the book, at which point he just seemed like an afterthought. ("Oh yeah … I said something about 'dark forces', didn't I? Shoot, better add that in somewhere!") Before that, the reader must agonize through Bethany essentially obsessing over how hot and perfect and wonderful Xavier is for three hundred pages. Then there's the whole thing where Xavier can't go to prom (because he fractured his ankle and got a concussion, and for some odd reason Bethany conveniently forgets about her healing powers) so Bethany goes with Jake, because for some reason she's decided that they're friends, even though he has seemed like a creep the entire time. They become Prom King and Prom Queen (of course), he makes out with her and someone takes a picture (*gasp!*) and Xavier sees it on Facebook (Really? You seriously used Facebook to propel your plot forward? Oh please …). Then Xavier and Beth break up for a whole two days (or maybe it was just one, I don't remember) before they come rushing back to each other––because they are soulmaaaates and not being together for that short period of time just KILLS them! How beautiful! There are a few freak accidents, one of Bethany's "friends" "commits suicide", Jake attempts to sacrifice Molly and a bunch of other kids, Bethany stops him but gets kidnapped, he beats her up and fills her brain with all the horrors of the world, then does she finally do anything awesome and kickass to save herself? … hahahahaha. No. Of course, as she's writhing and dying on the floor, her angel-siblings and Xavier come crashing through the wall to save her. HOORAY, how convenient. Then guess how they get rid of Jake?! Go on! Guess, guess! They stab him? They make him go up in flames? Nooooo. See, angels each have a special skill, and Bethany has been struggling to find hers. And luckily at that very moment, she discovers that her power to kill demons is … WITH THE POWER OF LOVE. Bahahahaha. No, really. I wish I was kidding. Of course, I'm not surprised by the lame, cop-out ending. Judging by the quality of the book, I wouldn't have been surprised if Bethany's special ability had been to make magic sparkling bubbles come out her butt. … Actually, I would have been surprised, because it wouldn't have been so ridiculously predictable. But still … *GAG*

So, some other things that bothered me:

Supposedly the angels could conceal their wings under their clothes because they are "paper thin". Firstly … No, not even. Bethany has these, like, huge-ass wings on the cover. She wouldn't be able to hide those, even if they were really thin! If I stuffed paper up the back of my shirt, it would still look weird. And if their wings are so thin, then how the frick do they WORK? Because they're magic? And if so, why do they even need wings in the first place?! And every time the angels went flying, they would just let their wings tear through the back of their clothing. WHAT?! Are they razor-sharp too? And if you always just ruin your clothes every time you go flying, why don't you just cut slits in the back of your shirt, or even bother wearing clothes at all? Eesh.

Another thing. The religious aspect. Okay, I know that it's a book about angels––and other angel books seem to avoid the topic. So I get it; if there are angels, there is a God. But there were times when the book verged on preachy. And it annoyed me.

Then there was the way Bethany was so afraid of human pain and suffering. At one point she says that she can't bear watching the news and hearing about starving people and violence, blah blah. Hmm. Well maybe if you did your freaking job, Bethany, instead of mooning over your boring boyfriend, the world would be a better place!!!! *slap*

All right, well I think that about sums it up. For the most part, this book is a boring waste of paper. To sum it up, it is sexist, predictable, and clichéd. Don't waste your time. I pray to God that I am not delusional and that I actually write better than this … 

*Edit*

I bumped this down to one star. (It used to be two.) It's been about a year since I read this and I still feel like my brain cells are exploding every time I think about it. Even when I dislike a book, thinking about it doesn't usually make me so furious. Plus I've been reading a lot of others' reviews of it, and reading quotes from the book reminded me of how cringe-worthy this book was.

Also, I was curious about the author so I was just looking up interviews with her. Ooh, here's a good one: http://naughtybookkitties.blogspot.co...

I look up to writers who’ve only written one book in their lifetime but it was an incredible success that captured that imagination of people across the globe. I would include people like J.D Salinger, Harper Lee and Margaret Mitchell.

Uhhh J.D. Salinger wrote more than one book. And a lot of short stories.

Oh, I wish there was a real life Xavier! I think I wrote him because I was so disappointed with the teenage boys in my life! I thought, if I can’t find the perfect guy then I’ll make him up!! I’ve taken the positive elements from the boys I know and put them together to create a super-boy. I’m still waiting on the real-life version. He’d better hurry the heck up! I haven’t given up hope that he exists yet.

The best thing about writing HALO was creating Xavier and developing a tiny (massive) crush on him in the process.

I––I don't even know where to start. I think I might actually cry. Or puke. Or both.

This is the epitome of HOW TO NOT CREATE A CHARACTER. No. Just no. No no NO NO NO no no NOOoooo. I can't say NO enough times. You do not create a character to be your ideal "super-boy." Characters are supposed to be realistic. They're supposed to have flaws. They are supposed to act like real human beings. Also, if Xavier is your idea of a perfect boyfriend, I'm terrified for you, Ally dear––seeing as Xavier is an overprotective creep, not to mention boring as heck.

Well anyway, I should be doing my homework right now. So. I'm going to get back to that.
332 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halo.
sign in »

Comments (showing 51-100 of 528) (528 new)


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* I am not horrible to all people who get published. If you bothered to look at any of my other reviews you may have noticed most of them are positive. I respect most published authors––because most of them have to go through a tremendous amount of rejections. Publishing is a tough business. And the fact that Adornetto barely had to try and still got published is what bothers me. And I am not being "horrable" (misspelled) to her; I'm sure she's a lovely person and I have nothing personal against her. But I did not enjoy her book, and personally I am mystified as to why this deserved such hasty publication when there are better, unpublished works out there.

You're entitled to your own opinion. However, when someone tells me "you should propably (also misspelled) get over yourself" on my review, I tend not to value their opinion too highly, since they can't defend the book itself and resort to randomly insulting me instead.


message 52: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Brizzalz wrote: "I honestly loved the book, and i think that you should propably get over yourself. just because you cant get published doesnt mean you have to be horrable to people who can."

Well, Brigid honestly hated it. You trolls are ridiculous. What do you hope to achieve by nosing in here and telling Brigid she's wrong? What the hell is wrong with you? I think YOU should get over yourself, and stop trying defend this awful, abysmal turd of a book with your poorly spelled, nonsensical troll-speak.

Good day to you.


message 53: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr Okay, I'm here to say what I have to say and leave.

Hitler put a lot of hard work into Nazi Germany. It was NOT a good idea, and shouldn't be respected.

Just because somebody doesn't like the book, doesn't mean you people need to flip shit and act like retards. When I see you jump down some girl's throat for her OPINION, then I realize what you are. You're nothing but whiney fantards that can't allow somebody to have a review of their own.

In most countries, you're allowed to have your own opinion. I pity you people who don't realize this.

I know books that I LOVE that have gotten horrible reviews, and I don't care, because that's their opinion. All I need to know is I enjoyed it.

I don't even know Brigid and I feel the need to tell you people to back the hell off. You are the most immature humans on the planet if you find the need to insult somebody over their opinion.

I totally respect Brigid's review because it's her opinion, not because of the content.

Okay, I'm leaving now.


message 54: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert What can you honestly say? I can't even...

Brigid, I think your review was great, and I think the trolls have no right to judge you just because you wrote a negative review of a book they liked.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Whoa the comments on this review, like, exploded overnight. O_o Well um, thanks everyone for defending me. Heh...


message 56: by [deleted user] (new)

@Cillian: No need to be hard on Lacey. She was nice about her opinion and tried to back it up.

@Lacey: Since I write stories myself, I can only tell you this: If there are bad reviews, especially ones that back up their opinions, I'll read them just so that I know certain things that need to be fixed. Bad reviews are certain to come. No book can ever please everybody.

@Brigid: Not that I would have read it otherwise (I've read so many bad reviews for this one) but seriously I loved this review and it certainly stops me from reading this book.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Hi, Alkyoni. Glad you enjoyed the review. And you make an excellent point. Bad reviews are a part of a writer's everyday life. Writers produce work so that the world can read it and express their opinions. And yes, some of those opinions will be harsh and negative. That's the way it is.


message 58: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Brigid.
I'm glad you get my point. I mean, when I read a book I don't like I snark a lot (*ahem* Fallen*ahem* *ahem*Abandon*ahem* etc) but I always try to explain WHY I snark. When I complete my WIP (and it gets published) I expect a lot of bad reviews in the sense that at the moment I'm 17, I'm not even maure enough to write a literature masterpiece and I donot think of my self as a writing prodigy. But if they have valid points then they can help become a better author.
(Did I just repeat myself? Dang.)
I'm adding you as a friend if you don't mind.


message 59: by [deleted user] (new)

@Cillian: Maybe in the sense that the logic behind her arguements wasn't that valid but at least she was NICE to Brigid, not like some other idiots out there. That's what I mean - though I'd understand you getting pissed with them if they have become pests one time too many.


message 60: by [deleted user] (new)

Damn, forgot a comma.


message 61: by Rogier (new)

Rogier this definitely going of my tbr list*****8 cover so gorgeous , slap it the face ''get your self together how many bad reviews have u read, let c, 2, no 5 , no 8, no 20 something(i googled a loT, lol)***
bye Halo, bye Hades and book 3 ithink
^_^


message 62: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Alright, so who brought the Troll-B-Gone?

Brigid, honey - we are here for you. The Snark Squad shall always cover your back in the instance of a vicious troll invasion.


message 63: by Jahlia ((thing 10 Evil 1)) (last edited Aug 16, 2011 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jahlia ((thing 10 Evil 1)) I am struggling not to laugh because I am in the library, this review nailed Halo on the head.


message 64: by Jahlia ((thing 10 Evil 1)) (last edited Aug 16, 2011 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jahlia ((thing 10 Evil 1)) Rogier wrote: "this definitely going of my tbr list*****8 cover so gorgeous , slap it the face ''get your self together how many bad reviews have u read, let c, 2, no 5 , no 8, no 20 something(i googled a loT, l..."

???????????????????? .........what???? I can't understand what you're saying :(.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Alkyoni ~ Kingfisher of books wrote: "Hi Brigid.
I'm glad you get my point. I mean, when I read a book I don't like I snark a lot (*ahem* Fallen*ahem* *ahem*Abandon*ahem* etc) but I always try to explain WHY I snark. When I complete my..."


Indeed. Snarkiness is just no fun if there is no reason behind it. ;)


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Alkyoni ~ Kingfisher of books wrote: "@Cillian: Maybe in the sense that the logic behind her arguements wasn't that valid but at least she was NICE to Brigid, not like some other idiots out there. That's what I mean - though I'd unders..."

Well, I wouldn't say Lacey was "nice", seeing as she told me I don't respect other authors and that "bashing" them is wrong ... and said that I shouldn't rant about the author's history; I should get over it and discuss the pros and cons of the book. And if she'd actually read the review (which I kind of doubt), she would have noticed I "got over" the author's history after about one paragraph and went on to discussing the book itself at length. So yes, perhaps Cillian was a bit harsh, but I do think Lacey was asking for it in a way, seeing as she didn't seem to bother reading the actual review before accusing me of being disrespectful.

Anyway, Cillian makes an excellent point. Just because this is published does not mean it was "worthy" as Lacey suggested. Publishing, unfortunately, sometimes has more to do with marketing than it has to do with art. You could be a brilliant writer, but a publisher might think no one will read your work ... and you're screwed.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Kira wrote: "Alright, so who brought the Troll-B-Gone?

Brigid, honey - we are here for you. The Snark Squad shall always cover your back in the instance of a vicious troll invasion."


lol! Why thank you, Kira. It is good to know I always have backup. :]


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Also, thanks to the troll invasion, I'm pretty sure this review has gotten at least 10 more likes in the past 24 hours. I think that's a record for me.


message 69: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr Cillian wrote: "(sponsored by Becca Fuckpatrick)"


Okay, you need to rename me, I can't have the same name as this woman.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Perfect example. Not to mention ... well, pretty much every author ever. Almost all of them go through dozens of rejections before finding a publisher. Before a publisher says "yes" does that mean the book is unworthy of publication? Makes no sense to me. But I think I've already made that pretty clear. ...

As for the Be Nice statement, I agree that the idea is rather ridiculous. I read a blog post a while ago that infuriated me quite a bit because it preached the same idea––that writers should solely praise other writers and keep their criticisms to themselves, because in the writing community we're all supposed to be supportive of all other writers! I ... just ... What? Sure, praise is nice and encouraging, but I can't say I've ever learned much from praise. A comment like "You're awesome!" isn't going to stick with me. But if someone tells me my characters are bland or that my sentence structure needs work, I'm not as likely to forget that. As much as it may hurt at first, it tends to be more beneficial in the end. I haven't grown as a writer because of praise, but criticism has driven me to work harder and get better. So yes, actually I do want people to write reviews like this for my work. I know they will. Being criticized is what keeps writing exciting and what inspires me to try new things, after all.


message 71: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr ♥ Brigid ♥ {Lion Hearted Girl} wrote: "Perfect example. Not to mention ... well, pretty much every author ever. Almost all of them go through dozens of rejections before finding a publisher. Before a publisher says "yes" does that mean ..."

I completely agree with you. No author should have to have their hand's held. They need to grow up and realize that getting not-so-good reviews are part of the business. And a lot of writers should learn to take these negatve reviews and use them to their advantage.

Cillian wrote: "Why do you think I've been elbowing you about cosplaying?
Why do you think I almost die of a massive nosebleed when you asked me to call you Becca?
Connect the dots, and make sure you're sitting do..."


You need to explain this cosplaying to me a little more...


message 72: by Cory (new)

Cory Cillian wrote: "@ Brigid: Can you imagine a site like GR turning into a fan site where all of us pat each other on the back?
Whatever happened to honest reviews?
Once you exposed your work, you have to be prepared..."


I dunno Cillian, I like back pats. I don't get nearly enough of them. Why can't everyone on this site just agree to like one book and give it only five stars? Of course, that book would have to be my book. (view spoiler)


message 73: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr Cillian wrote: "Cosplaying is a type of performance art in which participants have costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea. Characters are often drawn from Japanese manga/anime. Since th..."

This sounds so fuuun...
-Insert name other than Becca- wants in!


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Cillian wrote: "@ Brigid: Can you imagine a site like GR turning into a fan site where all of us pat each other on the back?
Whatever happened to honest reviews?
Once you exposed your work, you have to be prepared..."


Sometimes I feel like Goodreads is like that ... in the writing section of the site, anyway. So many times I find there are new comments on something I've posted and it's just something like, "lolz this iz good. it shud b published." Ack. People seem to think that if they like something, that automatically means it is ready for publication ... Not that I exactly blame them, since not too long ago I thought publishing was a piece of cake––you know, before I actually researched it and whatnot.

But, at least the reviews on this site for published books tend to be honest. Without the snarky reviews it would be no fun.

"Once you exposed your work, you have to be prepared for everything, praise, rotten tomatoes, mehs... Everything.
If you can't take the heat, find another job, if you favorite book got trashed, get the fuck out of that review."

Amen to both those statements. Writers who can't take criticism end up like Jacqueline Howett. *shudders* And really ... I mean, I see people bashing my favorite books all the time. Does it momentarily make my eye twitch? Yes, sometimes. But I don't comment. I don't see why people go attacking others who disagree with them and are obviously not going to change their minds. I can't count how many times someone has come along and told me "u R on DRUGGZ" or whatever, just because I gave one star to some book they like. It's like, what do you expect me to say? "Oh, you caught me. I'm a drug addict. That's why I can form coherent sentences and you can't. ... Guess I'll change this to a five-star review now." I just ... can't even ...

Ah, people. They confuse me.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* I happen to love Maggie Stiefvater ... I've met her, actually. But laughing at a bad review isn't the most professional reaction. Although, it depends. Sometimes a review is so full of ridiculous insults that the writer can't even get much out of it.
I have no idea if she's on Goodreads. But really, she's an embarrassment to the writing world, reacting like that.


message 76: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr Cillian wrote: "You have to choose it, bunny.
Any favorite character? It can be anything, anyone..."


But I ish bad at choosing... This will take some time...


message 77: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr Cillian wrote: "Okay then, you leave me no choice, Rebecca, thou shalt be named:


MIKAMI

"


I look hot, lol


message 78: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr Cillian wrote: "Now the explanation: You're too smart/cynical to be Misa, you're too spicy to be Near, L is taken by thousands of users of this site, Kira is, well, Kira, she won't mind, but you might want some un..."

Awesomes, althoughh I've never been called spicy before... I likes it.


message 79: by Kira (last edited Aug 16, 2011 06:45PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira I don't know, Becks. I nominate some good ol' Sailor Moon.

Which is to say: SAILOR MARS.

She kicks ass. AND she's characteristically snarky. I was thinking of switching fandoms (but I don't know if I have the guts. Also, it wouldn't be SM. I'd probably go for Mariko from Elfen Lied or if I was going to be really sneaky, I'd be (view spoiler)


message 80: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr Kira wrote: "I don't know, Becks. I nominate some good ol' Sailor Moon.

Which is to say: SAILOR MARS.

She kicks ass. AND she's characteristically snarky. I was thinking of switching fandoms (but I don't kno..."


I'm moving this little chat to an update on my profile, poor Brigid is getting swamped on her review, lol


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Haha, thanks Rebecca. I was about so say ... ;)


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Cillian wrote: "She's not on GR, I checked, damn it. But her book has a shitty rating, that made me happy.
The review that made our beloved Maggie chuckle, was not disrespectful at all, she was being a twat, an un..."


Haha! I haven't looked her book up on Goodreads, but I read the reviews on Amazon. Unfortunately it seems to have been taken off Amazon ... I just checked. What a shame. They were hilarious. I believe it had at least eighty 1-star reviews.

Well, having not read this review myself I can't argue with you on that. But, I'll take your word for it. Although I still love her books. :]


Ermala i loved the book it was great and amazing .... Brigid i think u could learn a lot in this book because is not what u write is how u write it and it seems to me u dont have it ... about the book i loved it and cant wait to get hades ...


message 84: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 31, 2011 05:28AM) (new)

Ermala wrote: "i loved the book it was great and amazing .... Brigid i think u could learn a lot in this book because is not what u write is how u write it and it seems to me u dont have it ... a..."

Ok, it's really not my place to get in an arguement that doesn't involve me.
But! The thing is I disagree with what you said. Sure, a book is about how you write something but it also needs something else. It's called plot. Which is basically, what you write. There is an author, Meg Cabot in particular, whose works I've read. I loved most of her books. Except Abandon. Oh, how I loathed it. Why? Because the plot/heroine/etc turned out to be stupid. It's not how Cabot wrote it, it's what she wrote.
Also, Brigid did not say that the writing was bad all in all.

Also, her writing style isn't bad. Her descriptions are nice, often beautiful. But while her prose is mostly strong, pretty much every other aspect of the book is very flat and clichéd.

That is word for word what Brigid wrote.

Third, since you haven't read Brigid's work, please just stop rating. do you have ANY idea how long J.K. Rowling had to wait until someone accepted to publish her book? I don't think that just because someone is an unpublished author that means they're bad writers.
Because, let's be honest here shall we? Publishing is bussiness. And a businessman gives what he thinks will sell. Brainless teenage romance is what sells at the moment? Then that is precisely what they are going to publish. Not that there aren't many authors in the YA who are good. I'm just saying that many of them aren't good enough for a publication.
Moreover, I'm curious about what you said. That there are a lot of things you can learn from this book. Like... what? I'm not mocking you here, I'm simply sincerely curious about what you mean.
Can I, by the way, ask you one more question? Do you mingle with the arts? I mean do you go to galleries museums…? I’ll assume yes. Can you paint? I’ll assume not. (Hypothetically speaking).
16th-century unknown painters - A Lady - WGA23786

Do you like this painting? I personally don’t. I don’t like the particular era in general. Now, let me be clear. I cannot paint like that. I do not doubt that the painter was skilled and that it took a lot of his time and that he tried hard in order to do this portrait.
I still don’t like it. It doesn’t appeal to my aesthetic criteria.
I haven’t read Brigid’s work either. I don’t know if she’s a good writer. She might be crap for all I know. That doesn’t mean that she’s not a good reader. Her criticism is not any less valid.
That’s all I had to say.
Oh and, by the way, simply because I answered nicely, doesn’t mean everyone else will. What you did is thought as “trolling” you know that? It means you go to someone’s review and just throw in your opinion without backing it up with valid arguments and in the process also make assumptions for them.
I’d expect something more mature from a 35 year old woman – or so your profile says you are.
That said from a 17 year old.

P.S. Also, do you really expect people to take you seriously with text speak?


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* i loved the book it was great and amazing ....

That's your opinion, not mine.

Brigid i think u could learn a lot in this book because is not what u write is how u write it and it seems to me u dont have it ...

What is there to learn from this book? Really, tell me. Also, I'll have to disagree strongly with you on that argument. Just because something is written nicely does not mean it is good. I thought the writing in this book was fine––not amazing, but fine. But that doesn't excuse the fact that the book is sexist and preachy, among other things. Adornetto chose to write these things. So no, it's not just "how" you write, it's also "what" you write. If you knew anything about writing, you'd know that. (And you'd probably also know how to capitalize and punctuate.) So frankly, if you don't think I have what it takes to be a writer, I don't value your opinion much.

about the book i loved it and cant wait to get hades ...

Again, that's your opinion.

I can't wait to get Hades either ... so I can snark some more.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Alkyoni ~ Kingfisher of books wrote: "Ermala wrote: "i loved the book it was great and amazing .... Brigid i think u could learn a lot in this book because is not what u write is how u write it and it seems to me u dont ..."

Wow, thanks Alkyoni ... You basically said everything I wanted to say, but better. Haha. :)


message 87: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad you liked my reply Brigid. Always at your service. *bows in that manner musketeers do - I love doing that*
:)


message 88: by [deleted user] (new)

Ermala wrote: "i loved the book it was great and amazing .... Brigid i think u could learn a lot in this book because is not what u write is how u write it and it seems to me u dont have it ... a..."

Not what you write but how you write it? So if I describe killing puppies or burning orphanages with flowery language, it makes what I'm writing ok?


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* My brain is prepared. I think... O_o


message 90: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Brigid, I think no amount of preparation and help you with that book...*shudders*


message 92: by Choco (new) - rated it 1 star

Choco Paper thin wings that fold up nicely but can tear through clothes? Whhaa--?


Oh, and is that...?

It is!

Sokka! <3


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Exactly... -_-

And yes! It is Sokka! ^_^


message 94: by Anila (new) - rated it 1 star

Anila Ermala wrote: "i loved the book it was great and amazing .... Brigid i think u could learn a lot in this book because is not what u write is how u write it and it seems to me u dont have it ... a..."

I want this chick to come back and try to defend herself.
I can go make popcorn and everything.


message 95: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh me too...


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* She seems to be the hit-and-run type. Oh well.


message 97: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually from what I've seen from other trolls that have occasionally visited other people's reviews, most of them are.
Too bad. I really was curious about what she thought we could learn from Halo.


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Well, trolls are cowardly. It's part of their nature.


Lydia Ok I actually liked the book BUT I do see your point and frankly I absolutely LOVED your review! HILARIOUS!!!!!! Thanks for the laugh! Loved your review :D


Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Haha, thanks Lydia. Glad you liked the review! (And thank you for not being a troll.) ^_^


back to top