Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*'s Reviews > Halo

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

EDIT: Okay, okay. The troll situation on this review is just starting to get out of hand, so I think I should clarify a few things. First of all, if you're too immature to tolerate other people's opinions, just don't read this review and write your own. Please. I respect your opinion, and if you like this book, that's totally fine with me. I just don't like it. I'm entitled to my opinion just as you're entitled to yours.

Secondly ... if you create a second fake account so that you can agree with your own comments on your first account, I will know it's you. Trust me. I've been on this website for like five years, I've seen every troll trick in the world, and I'm not an idiot. Let's not stoop to that level, shall we?

Thirdly. Yes, I do want to be an author someday. And yes, in this review I express some jealousy towards Alexandra Adornetto because she was able to get her book published so easily. What can I say? As a writer, it is difficult to see poorly-written books get published. But you trolls must understand a couple of things:

A) So, I mention in this review that I have submitted to agents and that I have received more rejections than I can count. Whether or not I can get a book published has nothing to do with my reviews, and you shouldn't be making personal attacks against me in the first place––but anyway, just because none of my work is published doesn't mean that I'm a "bad writer." In fact, I have been told by many agents that I am a good writer. Publishing is a difficult and complicated process, and contrary to popular belief, it has very little to do with how "good" a book is. It has more to do with what's marketable at the moment. And apparently, teens still want to read Twilight rip-offs. So anyway ... unless you actually know what publishing is like at all, I don't want to see any more of these comments about me being a bad writer and so on.

B) I didn't write this review purely out of spite or jealousy or anything like that. I genuinely did not like the book. Yes, I am envious that the publishing process was so easy for Adornetto. However, I am not envious of her actual book. This is not the type of story I want to write, nor the type of characters I want to create, etc. I'm not so immature that I would give a book a one-star rating just because I was somewhat jealous of the author. I mean hey, I'm jealous that S.E. Hinton got The Outsiders published when she was 16, but I love that book. Same goes for Mary Shelley, who wrote and published Frankenstein when she was 19. The difference is, I like their styles and I think their characters actually have depth. And in my opinion, their books are very good. So look, the fact that I can be jealous of other young writers has very little to do with whether or not I like their books. A good book is a good book. That's all there is to it.

So, yeah. Enough with the trolls. If you are closed-minded or immature and/or you just plain don't know what the heck you're talking about, kindly keep your mouth shut. Because trust me, I do not tolerate trolls. If you are a troll ...

Also, you will probably be attacked by an angry mob if you troll this review. If you don't believe me, just read through the comments and that should probably scare you off.

Now, now. Back to the actual review:

*Takes a deep breath* It's been a long time since a book pissed me off so much. To be perfectly honest, I am bitter. Very bitter. So if that makes me biased, so be it, but I can't help myself. I'm the same age as Alexandra Adornetto, and I've been trying to get published for about three years now. I've been working my butt off, writing and rewriting and editing and submitting to agents. And by now I've received more rejections than I can count, so ... that's rather discouraging. Then I read about this book, and how Adornetto first got published because she sent her manuscript off to HarperCollins one day, unagented, and they just decided to publish it. Wonderful. So I assume that means she's pretty awesome, right? … Unfortunately, not the case. Feel free to doubt me, but I think it's fair to say that I have written better than this, and I know I've read writing by authors her age or younger who are a lot more skilled than she is. So why is this book published? Why? It's really the kind of story I would tear to bits (figuratively) if I was asked to critique it on some sort of teen writing website.

Okay, I'll give Adornetto props for a few things. First of all, I understand how much work it is to be a teen writer. It's very difficult to juggle writing with schoolwork and your social life, etc. The fact that she had the patience to write a 500-page novel at her age is admirable. And I know she's been writing books since she was 14, so that's pretty cool. Also, her writing style isn't the most terrible in the world. But pretty much every other aspect of the book is very flat and clichéd.

My first impression of the book was not a good one. I open it up to see two quotes in the front page. One is a Shakespeare quote from Romeo and Juliet (Okay … a bit clichéd, but that's cool I guess). And sitting beneath it is … a Beyoncé quote. Beyoncé. You quoted Beyoncé at the beginning of your book. And it's not even a good quote, it's just "Baby I can see your halo / You know you're my saving grace." Oh, haha, that's funny because that song is called Halo and your book is called Halo … so you named your book after a Beyoncé song. How … creative. (Someone just shoot me now.)

On to the actual book. Let's begin with the characters. First of all, Bethany is one of the most boring and least likable main characters I have ever encountered. There's just … not much to say about her. She's an angel, she's unnaturally beautiful (and insists on reminding the reader of this at every chance she gets), innocently ignorant, needy, pathetic, whiney … oh, the list goes on and on. I just wanted to slap her. Her tone is just so two-dimensional. She's either making her "Humans are so silly!" remarks or her "Xavier is the love of my life and I neeeed him every moment of my life ever!" Ugh. She is supposedly an angel with special powers, yet she never seems to put these powers to use. She might as well have not had such powers at all. Basically all she could do was fly and occasionally heal people and herself (BTW, for some reason––she was able to save a girl who was bleeding to death after a car accident, but she didn't heal Xavier's ankle when he fractured it? Uhh, WHAT?!). Other than that, she obsessed over Xavier and got herself into dangers in which other people had to come and save her butt.

Her "siblings" were equally boring. The three of them together seemed rather pathetic to me. What I don't understand is, they were sent to earth in order to help this community become a better place, yet they hardly seem to accomplish this. All they do is sit around and learn to act human. So much for "battling the dark forces". I was expecting some epic fight scenes to come out of this book or something, but noooo.

Xavier was the stereotypical, "protective hot guy" who had absolutely no flaws. Oh yeah I forgot, he DID have a flaw: He has … baggage. Yup, his girlfriend who he was very much in love with (supposedly) died in a tragic accident, so he will never love again! Oh, unless you're a sexy angel and for God knows what reason your hotness changes his mind (and it's nothing but your hotness, considering you have absolutely no personality). *eyeroll*

Then there were Bethany's human "friends". Oh. Dear. God. Don't even get me started. It was like a freaking joke. Adornetto surrounds Bethany with the world's most shallow and boring characters, probably just to make Bethany look even more angelic. At the center of this crowd of cardboard characters is Molly, but other than that there's a handful of other random girls who show up here and there––and jeez, you'd think Adornetto wouldn't be sexist considering she's a girl and has probably been stereotyped before. *Long pause* But, no. All of these teen girl characters were portrayed as disgustingly shallow. I am not exaggerating when I say that they ONLY talked about boys, clothes, make-up, prom, etc. Molly spent the entirety of the book mooning over Bethany's brother Gabriel and changing herself in any way possible in order to get his attention. It was really just … offensive. How you could get away with such grotesquely boring side-characters, I don't even know. But it made me feel insulted––both as a woman and as a writer.

Then there was the plot––or lack thereof, rather. 500 pages of … well … pretty much nothing. And what little plot was leftover was painfully predictable. I don't understand what kind of editor allowed this book to be so long, when about half (or more) of it could have (and should have) been cut out. The beginning was very slow, filled with pointless descriptions and info dumps. The (extremely boring and stereotypical) villain, Jake Thorn, didn't even appear until more than halfway through the book, at which point he just seemed like an afterthought. ("Oh yeah … I said something about 'dark forces', didn't I? Shoot, better add that in somewhere!") Before that, the reader must agonize through Bethany essentially obsessing over how hot and perfect and wonderful Xavier is for three hundred pages. Then there's the whole thing where Xavier can't go to prom (because he fractured his ankle and got a concussion, and for some odd reason Bethany conveniently forgets about her healing powers) so Bethany goes with Jake, because for some reason she's decided that they're friends, even though he has seemed like a creep the entire time. They become Prom King and Prom Queen (of course), he makes out with her and someone takes a picture (*gasp!*) and Xavier sees it on Facebook (Really? You seriously used Facebook to propel your plot forward? Oh please …). Then Xavier and Beth break up for a whole two days (or maybe it was just one, I don't remember) before they come rushing back to each other––because they are soulmaaaates and not being together for that short period of time just KILLS them! How beautiful! There are a few freak accidents, one of Bethany's "friends" "commits suicide", Jake attempts to sacrifice Molly and a bunch of other kids, Bethany stops him but gets kidnapped, he beats her up and fills her brain with all the horrors of the world, then does she finally do anything awesome and kickass to save herself? … hahahahaha. No. Of course, as she's writhing and dying on the floor, her angel-siblings and Xavier come crashing through the wall to save her. HOORAY, how convenient. Then guess how they get rid of Jake?! Go on! Guess, guess! They stab him? They make him go up in flames? Nooooo. See, angels each have a special skill, and Bethany has been struggling to find hers. And luckily at that very moment, she discovers that her power to kill demons is … WITH THE POWER OF LOVE. Bahahahaha. No, really. I wish I was kidding. Of course, I'm not surprised by the lame, cop-out ending. Judging by the quality of the book, I wouldn't have been surprised if Bethany's special ability had been to make magic sparkling bubbles come out her butt. … Actually, I would have been surprised, because it wouldn't have been so ridiculously predictable. But still … *GAG*

So, some other things that bothered me:

Supposedly the angels could conceal their wings under their clothes because they are "paper thin". Firstly … No, not even. Bethany has these, like, huge-ass wings on the cover. She wouldn't be able to hide those, even if they were really thin! If I stuffed paper up the back of my shirt, it would still look weird. And if their wings are so thin, then how the frick do they WORK? Because they're magic? And if so, why do they even need wings in the first place?! And every time the angels went flying, they would just let their wings tear through the back of their clothing. WHAT?! Are they razor-sharp too? And if you always just ruin your clothes every time you go flying, why don't you just cut slits in the back of your shirt, or even bother wearing clothes at all? Eesh.

Another thing. The religious aspect. Okay, I know that it's a book about angels––and other angel books seem to avoid the topic. So I get it; if there are angels, there is a God. But there were times when the book verged on preachy. And it annoyed me.

Then there was the way Bethany was so afraid of human pain and suffering. At one point she says that she can't bear watching the news and hearing about starving people and violence, blah blah. Hmm. Well maybe if you did your freaking job, Bethany, instead of mooning over your boring boyfriend, the world would be a better place!!!! *slap*

All right, well I think that about sums it up. For the most part, this book is a boring waste of paper. To sum it up, it is sexist, predictable, and clichéd. Don't waste your time. I pray to God that I am not delusional and that I actually write better than this …

*Edit*

I bumped this down to one star. (It used to be two.) It's been about a year since I read this and I still feel like my brain cells are exploding every time I think about it. Even when I dislike a book, thinking about it doesn't usually make me so furious. Plus I've been reading a lot of others' reviews of it, and reading quotes from the book reminded me of how cringe-worthy this book was.

Also, I was curious about the author so I was just looking up interviews with her. Ooh, here's a good one: http://naughtybookkitties.blogspot.co...

I look up to writers who’ve only written one book in their lifetime but it was an incredible success that captured that imagination of people across the globe. I would include people like J.D Salinger, Harper Lee and Margaret Mitchell.

Uhhh J.D. Salinger wrote more than one book. And a lot of short stories.

Oh, I wish there was a real life Xavier! I think I wrote him because I was so disappointed with the teenage boys in my life! I thought, if I can’t find the perfect guy then I’ll make him up!! I’ve taken the positive elements from the boys I know and put them together to create a super-boy. I’m still waiting on the real-life version. He’d better hurry the heck up! I haven’t given up hope that he exists yet.

The best thing about writing HALO was creating Xavier and developing a tiny (massive) crush on him in the process.

I––I don't even know where to start. I think I might actually cry. Or puke. Or both.

This is the epitome of HOW TO NOT CREATE A CHARACTER. No. Just no. No no NO NO NO no no NOOoooo. I can't say NO enough times. You do not create a character to be your ideal "super-boy." Characters are supposed to be realistic. They're supposed to have flaws. They are supposed to act like real human beings. Also, if Xavier is your idea of a perfect boyfriend, I'm terrified for you, Ally dear––seeing as Xavier is an overprotective creep, not to mention boring as heck.

Well anyway, I should be doing my homework right now. So. I'm going to get back to that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halo.

message 1: by Ivy (last edited Oct 19, 2010 10:06PM) (new)

Ivy Wow... I didn't even know the story behind the author, but after I did I was intrigued in a bad way to read it critique it. Then I read the rest of your review and decided, 'NO way.' Thanks for all the info--you really got me all fired up about it and I haven't even read it... :D It looks worse than Twilight in a way, and there is no possible thing that could make me knowingly put my mind through that mental torture again (sorry, because I see you like Twilight, perhaps love it! not trying to insult; just happened to be that way in my case...).

Now it's really bothering me that I happen to share a name with one of the characters... Grr...

BTW, reading your blog, I know how much work you put into attempting to publish. I haven't even attempted the next step (still revising my book...) and it filled me with quite a bit of confusion that Miss Adornetto could just ship her book off to a big name like HarperCollins and get it published. Can that even seriously happen?

Ellen Ivy, Adonetto first got published for a MG book series called something. And it was in Australia where the Aussie-authoring market isn't really that big :/ But still... to let this be producued? Gah. Not too mention she's on an all-America tour and the book had a one-hundred thousand dollar deal!!

"There are a few freak accidents, one of Bethany's "friends" "commits suicide", Jake attempts to sacrifice Molly and a bunch of other kids, Bethany stops him but gets kidnapped, he beats her up and fills her brain with all the horrors of the world, then does she finally do anything awesome and kickass to save herself?"
- I fully believed you until you said no. Lol. And, gosh, maybe the book should have been about the above O_o

Love the review, Bridge.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ivy wrote: "Wow... I didn't even know the story behind the author, but after I did I was intrigued in a bad way to read it critique it. Then I read the rest of your review and decided, 'NO way.' Thanks for all..."

Yeah, you're right. It was too much like Twilight. And yes, I did enjoy Twilight (when I was 13, anyway, although I might feel differently about it if I read it again …) and by now so many books are exactly like Twilight that it just gets really dull. :P

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ellen ♥ wrote: "Ivy, Adonetto first got published for a MG book series called something. And it was in Australia where the Aussie-authoring market isn't really that big :/ But still... to let this be producued? Ga..."

One hundred thousand dollar … ? *dies* She does not deserve that money. At all. I know 13-year-olds who deserve it more than she does, seriously. Heck, I deserve it more than she does! I really need the money for college! :P lol

Thanks!

message 5: by Sella (last edited Oct 21, 2010 10:18PM) (new)

Sella Malin OMG, Brigid, that was the most epic and most awesome review EVER. I loved it so much. XD Not only was it hilarious (you made me laugh SO hard ... especially the bubbles coming out of her butt part. And all the other parts, too), but it was also very intelligent and convincing. You managed to attack a book in such a refined, mature, professional way. And I love the sarcastic tone the review has, it's awesome. :D I haven't even read the book, and now I hate it and feel angry for all the reasons you did. That was an amazing persuasive review. :D I love your reviews, and that's definitely one of the best ones you've done.

"Yup, his girlfriend who he was very much in love with (supposedly) died in a tragic accident, so he will never love again!" ---> Oh oh. That's exactly the fake backstory that Caleb made up in Outcast. I guess it's better because in Outcast, that isn't actually true, but still. I guess Caleb's story is very cliched. :P

Also, I'm confused. Did all the freak accidents you said actually happen in the book, or were you saying stuff like that should've happened?

April*procrastinator and proud* haha i love your review.
I wasn'y planning on reading this anyways because it seemed cliche.
lol.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Sella wrote: "OMG, Brigid, that was the most epic and most awesome review EVER. I loved it so much. XD Not only was it hilarious (you made me laugh SO hard ... especially the bubbles coming out of her butt part...."

Why thank you, Sella. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It took me like an hour to write it. O_o lol!

Yeah, but Caleb was lying. That's different. This was the actual story, and it wasn't convincing at all … he didn't even seem to have an emotional reaction to it. Whenever he talked about it he was just like, "Yeah, my girlfriend died. I was sad. Let's not talk about it." And then he'd go back to flirting/making out with Bethany. :P

Uhh I'm not sure what you mean. Yes, all those things happened. The only part that didn't happen was Bethany doing something kickass … that was what I was saying "hahahaha … NO" to. I guess I should make that clearer; I think someone else was confused by that too …

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Rilly *procrastinator and proud* wrote: "haha i love your review.
I wasn'y planning on reading this anyways because it seemed cliche.
lol."

Thank you! Yes, it is really clichéd. Good choice. ;)

message 9: by Dana (new)

Dana Cruz Love your review. :D Beth kept reminding herself that they were on earth to ward off the dark forces but they aren't doing anything at all. Did they do something? I don't know what happened in the end because I stopped reading it, I just couldn't go on.

message 10: by Dia (new) - added it

Dia haha... oh i wish you would have the opportunity to sell your own books!! I laughed my ass of just on your review... i am shure that i would love an actual book from you! your writing style is just... WOW!! xD
GOOD LUCK in finding a publisher!!!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Dana wrote: "Love your review. :D Beth kept reminding herself that they were on earth to ward off the dark forces but they aren't doing anything at all. Did they do something? I don't know what happened in the ..."

Thanks! Yeah, exactly. Every once in a while it would be like "OH YEAH. WE'RE HERE TO FIGHT THE DARK FORCES." But they hardly did a thing about that. Yes … they did do something in the end, although it was pretty stupid and anti-climatic. And that was sending Jake back to hell (or wherever he came from) with the power of looove! Ugh.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Dia wrote: "haha... oh i wish you would have the opportunity to sell your own books!! I laughed my ass of just on your review... i am shure that i would love an actual book from you! your writing style is just..."

Glad you enjoyed the review :) and thanks!

message 13: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune HAHAHAHAHAhahahahahha I'm pretty sure that was the funniest review I've ever read!! You so deserve getting published WAY more than her. Ahhh its so sad, people with epic connections and such. But really. Hilarious review!

Clare

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Thanks Clare! :D Haha yeahh I believe both her parents are English professors … probably has some connections. Can't see any other reason why this would be published. :/

message 15: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie Haha not going to lie I love the cover of this book, but I think I enjoyed your rant just as much! I really hope you don't discouarge from writing and keep up dispite how many rejections you get. I've recieved probably more then 60 including an agent telling me that I must stop taking the drugs I'm on unless they are prescribed by a doctor. I finally got a publisher accepting my second book (first was self published)! If you ever have questions I can try to answer them. However I have not read Eargon (however you spell it) and Halo but both I've heard had parents who have connections. Really the world is corrupt. I really can not handle whinny idiot main characters, there is a fine line between quirky and annoying.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ottilie wrote: "Haha not going to lie I love the cover of this book, but I think I enjoyed your rant just as much! I really hope you don't discouarge from writing and keep up dispite how many rejections you get. ..."

I can't disagree with that, the cover is beautiful! Unfortunately, it's pretty much the best part of the book. :P Glad you enjoyed the ranting, though! Thanks for the encouragement :) I'm never going to stop writing … I mean, even if all the agents in the world reject me, I still can't help stop my heart from telling me to write (as corny as it sounds, it's true!) Saaaame. I have piles of rejections (well, virtual ones anyway, since they're usually in email form). Oh my gosh, an agent said that to you?! That's awful! But whoever they were, I doubt they're a good agent since that's a pretty unprofessional response! :P Congrats on finding a publisher! I'm taking a break from the whole process at the moment; I decided my book needs another round of thorough editing before I try sending it out again. But if I have any questions in the future, I'll let you know! Yeah, Eragon was also terrible. And his parents did help him a lot. :( So unfair. Hmph. I can't stand stupid main characters either. Sometimes there are exceptions, like if the plot and/or secondary characters are still engaging enough, but in this case there was really nothing driving the book along at all. She wasn't even "quirky" though, in fact she was quite the opposite … very blaaand.

message 17: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie My second story is getting published by a small publishing company and they don't use agents which I'm hoping to enjoy! Seriously that's awsome! Dont' give up and its not corny its true words! Yeah I saved the email of that agent to prove how unprofessional people are today and as motivation. My one friend alex seirously saved me from being upset that whole night after that rejection. I took a break for awhile and just focused on my actual writing also I think its good to just focus on what the real passion is then the process sometimes or your stories wont be fully filled with your heart. thank you though I've been so jittery and having trouble with focusing on school! I wrote most of my stuff in High School and working on them now, I purposly wanted to do this after I turned 18 because I wanted this to be fully me my stories are my babies, this is my dream, I will do as much as I can by myself, my pride I'm sure. Secondary characters I agree can be flawed. I can't do whinny. oh ew bland...

message 18: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie I don't bash other books, with my grammar skills I do not feel like I'm in a position to do so.

message 19: by Jana (new)

Jana Oliver I have to respectfully disagree with Melissa re: burning bridges by writing reviews before publication. It entirely depends on the review. If it is indeed a rant without any substantive basis, then it is possible an editor might fall across it and think negatively of the reviewer. However, as a published author, if I was to receive a review like Brigid's, besides consuming large quantities of single malt and cursing for the first day or so, I'd step back and reexamine how I write my stories. Reviewers see things the author doesn't. That's a valuable tool if you're willing to take the heat and the pain of a brutal review.

Brigid identified every weakness she spied in the writing and if I was an editor, that's exactly what I'd be looking for in a writer. Someone who could critically and methodically fix every clichéd point so someone wouldn't feel the need to pen a review such as this

Melissa is right in that as a published author I couldn't write a review such as this. I'd grumble to my friends about a book I disliked, but this level of honesty wouldn't make it out into the real world because it would be considered dissing another author. I haven't read HALO. I was going to, but I know now that I won't because all the points Brigid makes are the kind that drive me crazy. She, however, as a reader, spent valuable hours reading a book she didn't like. She should have the right to say why. And to be honest, if my book was going to be scourged by someone, I'd love to have Brigid's sense of humor wielding the whip. That way I could laugh while pouring myself another double.

message 20: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie Yeah I can't write an actual bad review of a book and I'd be nervous to read this for my book. I like critize feed back if that makes sense

message 21: by Jana (new)

Jana Oliver Unflattering reviews hurt. A lot. If the reviewer takes the time to actually explain the book's weaknesses, then bless them. The immediate reaction is, "How could you not understand my book?" (Actually, it usually involves a lot of swearing.) But if the input is laser precise, then you have to suck up your pride (hard to do) and see if the criticism is valid. If it is, someone has just done you a great favor. But it still hurts. After all, this is your "baby" and someone just told you it had serious warts and is probably going to grow up and be a kitten killer or something. Never pretty.

message 22: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie haha very true, its finding the balance of fixing that for your next story and realizing you can't please everyone

message 23: by Jana (new)

Jana Oliver Some will applaud, others will throw tomatoes. Which, writ large, is pretty much the story of our lives.

message 24: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie excatly

message 25: by Petim (new) - added it

Petim i was planning to buy this book, but after reading your review, it changed my mind. thanks for that hardcore review! :) now i can use my money to buy some book more worth it.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Melissa wrote: "I personally didn't love the book. However, I'm 26 and it was not intended for my audience. Still, to say that the author did not deserve to get published or that she did it because her parents are..."

I didn't say that she doesn't deserve to be published, just that she may have had some connections that helped her to get published. And I don't (at least, not yet), so yes, I'm bitter. I even admitted that in my review.

This review isn't supposed to be "professional". I'm just saying what I think. At least I backed up my opinion; a lot of people on this site might just write a "review" that says "oMG this book lyk ttlyy SUX!" If someone in the publishing industry were to read this review … well, first of all they'd be stalking me. But anyway, I wouldn't say this is "bashing" as much as it's picking the book apart. In my opinion, I think that at least shows that I know something about writing. Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only author to rant about books online. We've all got opinions. And it's not like I'm personally bashing Alexandra Adornetto. I'm sure she's a perfectly nice person. I just don't like her writing. End of story.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Jana wrote: "I have to respectfully disagree with Melissa re: burning bridges by writing reviews before publication. It entirely depends on the review. If it is indeed a rant without any substantive basis, then..."

Thanks for backing me up, Jana. Glad you enjoyed the review!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Jana wrote: "Unflattering reviews hurt. A lot. If the reviewer takes the time to actually explain the book's weaknesses, then bless them. The immediate reaction is, "How could you not understand my book?" (Actu..."

That's true. If I read a review like this for my own book … I'd probably curl up in a corner and feel sorry for myself for a while. But hey, I've received some pretty harsh feedback before. It's all a part of being a writer. You have to grow a thick skin, and you have to learn not to take the criticism personally. You just can't please everyone. And for every person who loathes your story, there's another person (or a hundred people … who knows) who absolutely love it.

Lacey I have to go with Melissa on this one. I think your review was a little harsh. You need to respect the author and how much hard work she put into it. Seeing you yourself have written a book I'm sure you know how much work it took to get where you are now. Adornetto may have had connections but a publisher would have never published her book if it wasn't worthy of being published. I for one enjoyed this book, yes it lacked in areas but overall was a good book. I don't want to go against you and I really do hope you get published one day but try to refrain from bashing on other authors. Just think one day you might be published and how would you feel if you read a review like yours? Just think about it. Critique how you like but don't rant on about the authors history, get over it and review the book itself and give the pros and cons and make it a balanced review.

Sanny*just another day...* This review is the best ever. Love how ur not afraid to point the stupid things of the book out. I can't compliment this review enuf. I looked at the cover (so cliche *eyeroll*) and ur rite about Bethany's wings "bigass". P.S. I can NOT believe none of ur books have been published. Ur literature is SO good. I can't say enough about it.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Lacey wrote: "I have to go with Melissa on this one. I think your review was a little harsh. You need to respect the author and how much hard work she put into it. Seeing you yourself have written a book I'm sur..."

"Just think one day you might be published and how would you feel if you read a review like yours?"

Well, I can't say that it would make me feel warm and bubbly inside. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I can't change that. Of course I know that some people will bash me, once I become a published author. Heck, I've been bashed before and I'm not even published yet. It's a part of being a writer, like I've said. And it's not like I wrote "OMG THIS BOOK LIKE TOTALLY SUCKS" and gave no explanation. At least I was specific as to why I disliked it.

"Critique how you like but don't rant on about the authors history, get over it and review the book itself and give the pros and cons and make it a balanced review."

Not to be disrespectful or anything, but did you even read my review? I only "ranted" about Adornetto in the first paragraph (if about two sentences counts as ranting), but I spent about ten more paragraphs discussing all the pros and cons of the book.

Yes, I know it's harsh, but I'm just being honest. What am I supposed to do, pretend I love every book I read? I'm not trying to make a personal attack on the author, I just didn't like the book and I think I gave a reasonable explanation as to why.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Sana wrote: "This review is the best ever. Love how ur not afraid to point the stupid things of the book out. I can't compliment this review enuf. I looked at the cover (so cliche *eyeroll*) and ur rite about B..."

Thanks, Sana. Glad you enjoyed the review!

message 33: by Jem (new)

Jem your review SUCKED! i loved this book, and i know that you r intitled to your opinion, but you influenced others into not reading it! :(
I mean come on, it wasnt that bad, and if it really was that bad, why did u read it in the first place?!

message 34: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Brigid, darling, your review is absolutely wonderful. I, too, was grossly offended by this book, mostly because I felt like Ms. Adornetto was standing in front of me pointing her finger at me, telling me that I ought not to lose my virginity, like, ever, because then I'll totes be a ho!

I am also a teenage author-in-progress, looking for agents, re-editing, endlessly trying new tactics to ensnare an agent. I feel your exhausting pain, my dear, seeing this dreadful book on the shelves while my book (based on angels too, but with some actual work put into research, physics, and an actual plot) sits gathering e-dust on my hard-drive.

Tell me about your book. I'm interested in other teen authors. I suffer chronically from Killed The Cat Syndrome. The same affliction that forced me to read this garbage dump of a book.

Also--congrats! You have trolls. And not just any trolls; Halo trolls. Oh, I'm envious! They're such fun.

message 35: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Scarlet Hahaha! Excellent, hilarious review! This is on my TBR list but now Im not so sure if I want to read it...

message 36: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Scarlet And good luck to you on getting published! I'm also an aspiring teen writer, like you and Ryuk! :)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Jem wrote: "your review SUCKED! i loved this book, and i know that you r intitled to your opinion, but you influenced others into not reading it! :(
I mean come on, it wasnt that bad, and if it really was tha..."

YOUR FACE SUCKS. Like really, are we in third grade here?

I'm not intentionally "influencing" anyone; I'm just giving my opinion. If people read the review and choose not to read the book, that's their choice. And my opinion is only one of thousands, is it not?

"I mean come on, it wasnt that bad" --> Errr, I think it was.

"and if it really was that bad, why did u read it in the first place?!" --> I guess because my psychic powers failed me the day I got it out of the library. Darn! I dunno about you, but I actually expect a book to be good when I start reading it. And if it's not good, then how is that my fault?

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ryuk wrote: "Brigid, darling, your review is absolutely wonderful. I, too, was grossly offended by this book, mostly because I felt like Ms. Adornetto was standing in front of me pointing her finger at me, tell..."

Nice to meet ya, Ryuk. Thanks for reading/commenting! I'm also very interested in fellow teen authors. :)

Well, I have a bunch of projects I'm working on. Some of my writing pieces are posted here: http://www.goodreads.com/story/list/8...

And I also talk about writing on my blog: http://mylifeasateenagenovelist.blogs...

How about you? What do you write about? :)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Scarlet wrote: "And good luck to you on getting published! I'm also an aspiring teen writer, like you and Ryuk! :)"

Thanks for commenting! And thank you––good luck to you as well! :)

message 40: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira I write short stories here and there, Brigid darling, but I want to shoot for the stars. I'm writing a dystopian novel right now which is confusing and frustrating the hell out of me - but hey! We suffer for out art, my dear.

And it's wonderful to meet you too. I look forward to seeing our bestselling books sitting side by side in Chapters one fine day. Good luck!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ooh, nice. I wish I was better at writing short stories, but I suck at being concise. lol. That's awesome! One of the novels I'm working on (Rage) is also dystopian. It's a fun genre to write. :) Do you have anything posted on Goodreads (or elsewhere on the internet)?

Yes, that will be a fine day! Good luck to you as well. :D

message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Brigid, you made my day. :D This is the most awesome review ever.

message 43: by Seth (new)

Seth You write better than this. In fact, I'm reading it right now. And, well . . . it sucks.

message 44: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess Like the review. Strong and furious words!!!

Book Chatter-Cath I gave up after about 100 pages of 'God only knows what to call it' that gave me a migraine. I'm so glad I didn't waste my time. Thanks for an honest review ~Cath

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Thank you Hannah, Seth, Jess, and Cath ... glad you found the review useful :]

message 47: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Bartness "I wouldn't have been surprised if Bethany's special ability had been to make magic sparkling bubbles come out her butt."

I think I might love this review, just because of this sentence. (But I really did hate the book.. It hurt my soul.)

Brianna I think this rant may be one of the best I've seen on this book, and that's saying a lot, because I love reading rants on Halo :P

And may I just say, I think anyone can write something better than that monstrosity.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Thanks for the comments, Brenda and Brianna! :) Brianna, I'm glad you enjoy my ranting ... I enjoy ranting. And I also enjoy reading rants about this book. XD

message 50: by Brizzalz (new) - added it

Brizzalz I honestly loved the book, and i think that you should propably get over yourself. just because you cant get published doesnt mean you have to be horrable to people who can.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11