Raja99's Reviews > Fleet of Worlds

U_50x66
Dec 09, 07

bookshelves: mcpl, ebooks-kindle-st, ebooks-lib
Read in December, 2007

Why I read this book: My father got an Amazon Kindle recently. I tried it out, and got various "free samples". I didn't find any of the samples compelling--except the one for Fleet of Worlds.

Fleet of Worlds is chock full of interesting ideas, and has a brisk writing style. (To paraphrase Orson Scott Card, this is a collaboration, but excuse me for suspecting that Lerner did most of the typing.) It's the most fun I've had in Larry Niven's Known Space universe since The Ringworld Engineers. The book fits firmly within Known Space but is also informed by modern thinking about science and technology. It also has a goodly number of (lightly) winking references to other SF.

Until the last few chapters, I was amazed, and hooked. (I stayed up past midnight to finish the book.) Unfortunately, the ending got rather bogged down, in part because inconsistencies with Niven's Known Space works started accumulating. Also, the ending seemed to go out of its way to allow sequels. (Not that the book lacked any sense of closure.)

Overall, I'd rate this book 9 out of 10.

(Finished 0:22EST on 2007-12-09.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fleet of Worlds.