Mark's Reviews > Three Days to Never

Three Days to Never by Tim Powers

Dec 05, 07

bookshelves: sf
Read in November, 2007

Frank receives a strange phone call from his grandmother in Pasadena. An hour later she is found 600 miles away. Dead. Frank and his daughter want to know how and why. So does Israeli intelligence. So does an ancient cult. And how does Charlie Chaplin fit into the picture? Oh, and did I mention time travel?

This book combines supernatural, science fiction, and spy genres. I thought the combination was deftly handled, but the book might be a bit too densely packed for some readers.

The main characters are an English lit prof and his twelve year old daughter. I'm a bit tired of the "perfect human" main character so I really appreciate the ordinariness of these people. Also the setting in a realistic 1987 Southern California wins it points for me.

The meat of the book is how individuals deal with a chance to change their past, destroying the present for a possibly better one. There is a host of different motives, power, nationalism, family, and more. What would you do? Amusingly, the one character who manages to time travel with standard money making schemes (invest in Microsoft) is generally ignored by everyone else.

Discovering this book is why I slog through mediocre sf books. (I still don't know why I slog through mediocre fantasy books.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Days to Never.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr.G (new)

Mr.G I've got several Tim Powers books I've never read - Last Call, Earthquake Weather.
Hiro is a big fan.