SPOILER ALERT: do not read if you haven't read the book yet!!!
jk rowling spins out another awesome chapter of harry potter adventures. i just finishedSPOILER ALERT: do not read if you haven't read the book yet!!!
jk rowling spins out another awesome chapter of harry potter adventures. i just finished reading it and i'm feening for more.
i read a couple of other reviews and some people were disappointed in the lack of action this book had. i'd have to disagree. while there was significantly less adventures than the previous books, rowling still managed to maintain an aura of mystery. some questions that were running through my mind as i read:
1. who the hell is the half-blood prince? i was disappointed cuz i was sure it was voldemort; how could rowling be so transparent? so i was surprised when it turned out to be snape.
2. that was another question i had: was snape really a good guy or a bad guy? even when he murdered dumbledore, i was half-expecting it to be a hoax, to allow dumbledore to escape. even when dumbledore was finally encased in a tomb, i was fantasizing about harry glancing into the distance with the realization that dumbledore is still alive; kinda like how professor X did when jean grey died in X2. and i'm still expecting him to pop up later on in the 7th book as a surprise good guy, that he was working for potter's side the whole time.
3. when are ron and hermoine gonna hook up?! i swear, they should put some hot and heavy sex scenes in these books already. the kids are already 16; lord knows they've all got more than a little wand action goin' on.
another reviewer criticized the book for focusing too much on voldemort's past. while i can see how that can be kind of a drag for some people, i found in fascinating. i don't know if rowling has done her psychological research, but voldemort sounds like a certified antisocial psychopath. i thought this added more depth to the entire saga, rather than took away from it. and it's not like there wasn't ANY action. sexual and otherwise.
i guess the only critiques i'd have to give the book is as follows:
1. snape's admission that he is the half-blood prince. it kinda came out in the middle of a battle so it was rushed and didn't allow enough time for harry potter to register the news. as a reader, i was imaging the battle scene in my mind: all the confusion and the chaos. it was hard to really let the news sink in that snape was the half-blood prince because there was already so much going on. maybe if rowling had written it so that harry felt the battle scene melt away as snape's admission struck fear into his heart. or something like that! or maybe if rowling had written it so the truth came out as snape was killing dumbledore.
2. some of the twists and turns were a little sloppy. like when it came out that rosemerta had been cursed. there was nothing in the book that suggested that. i like it when authors drop little hints here and there that are very easy to overlook but come rushing back to you once the twist is revealed. one twist that was good was when harry suddenly realizes that snape is working for the other side. shoo, i should've been rowling's creative writing consultant. get a share on some of them royalities, ya dig?
perhaps i would've been disappointed if this had been the last book. but i'm kinda looking at it as a build-up to the finale. now that we have a first-look into voldemort's insanity, i'm soooo looking forward to reading how harry kicks his ass.
another question: what a shame that dumbledore's death was all in vain. harry found a note saying that the horcrux they thought they had stolen was a fake. and the note was written by RAB who the hell is RAB?? so glad the 7th book is out this month, though there's a slim chance i'll get a hold of one until more copies are made. tsk!
EDIT: oh, shit, it comes out in JULY? goddammit....more
quick note: i can't wait to get my hands on this! from what i know, it's a porn comic book starring --get this-- Dorothy from the wizard of oz, Wendyquick note: i can't wait to get my hands on this! from what i know, it's a porn comic book starring --get this-- Dorothy from the wizard of oz, Wendy from peter pan, and Alice from alice in wonderland. the white rabbit from the story is a pedophile. how great is that?...more