Decided to finally read this book (listen) after years. tragic little story, there is much that can be said about it. You have a girl that Dreamed ofDecided to finally read this book (listen) after years. tragic little story, there is much that can be said about it. You have a girl that Dreamed of a world not her own. would put herself though sorrow and misary just to become what she isn't and even then is ignored and loses the thing that makes her the most beautiful. Then lose the guy, that does love her but thinks of her as a silly little child. And dies of it. At the end. she is rewarded in death for pushing for her dreams and not doing any thing evil. Because lets face it, how many wouldn't have killed the prince?
so this series was ok. IT could have been better but it seemed to be set up to be a short triangle which made it Blah. the plot was rushed. I almost dso this series was ok. IT could have been better but it seemed to be set up to be a short triangle which made it Blah. the plot was rushed. I almost didn't finish it after the second chapter but. i don't like leaving things unfinished. ...more
**spoiler alert** so. what happens when you lose someone you love when your already fucked up... well this book.
he becomes more pushy, she lets him o**spoiler alert** so. what happens when you lose someone you love when your already fucked up... well this book.
he becomes more pushy, she lets him on a lot of cases.
some events run to close together. just becoming a tangle mess that was frustrating.
But what did i like. 1. His breakdown when he thought she was leaving him. where he went all submissive... why. because it shows how fragile he is. it's a real response abused child got to. i like how ana handle it too.
2. ana protecting herself. with him. that was nice, it showed how strong she was.
3. his mood swings. again made it seem more real to me. Ana, will be the adult in the relationship.
4. the doctors office. flyn was so right.
but my favorite part... the show down with Mrs. Robertson. one, that was a perfect link. because she was just like the bitch in the movie. the fact that Ana stood up to her, then christian.. he might began to see that she was abusing him and that his issues also stemmed from her. the i made you want you are, with the reply you "you never held me, you never told me you loved me." showed that she defiantly fucked his ass up. BUT BY FAR my favorite part! his mother stormed in and bitch slapped her. she didn't even know how if he was a child or grown up. she saw a woman threatening her baby's happiness and came all mamma bear on her ass. (my inner goddess, which isn't limited to just sex, was cheering at that part). And her knowing, can now help her son more.
also i don't remember the description to Grace. but the reason i think that he likes ana is not that she looks like his bio mom. (i wont call her that name) but I insead looks or at lease mirrors Grace. so maybe she has coloring of his mother. But she is more like Grace, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have simuliar personality to my hubby mom and he reminds me of some the strong men in my live.
Over all this was a bit painful to get though. but there where highlights and as fanfic smut... the smut was good. (yes there was repation... but that was about the emotions not the actions) ...more
Only read this because a friend got me to listen to 4star reads 50 shades of grey. other wise i would have seen the movie and that is it. But it was sOnly read this because a friend got me to listen to 4star reads 50 shades of grey. other wise i would have seen the movie and that is it. But it was so funny i though, sure why not.. i recommended 4 star reads 50 shades of grey btw. it's a good laugh.
I gave this book a four for a number of reasons. 1. WE all knew what we where going into when reading this. it is smut. you can blame it for doing all the naught bits, IT was the the propose. 2. This started as a fan fiction. so i viewed it as a fan Fiction. AND for a Fan Fiction, this is an amazing story. 3. it's source was twilight. THIS BOOK IS BETTER THEN TWILIGHT. Why because unlike Bella, everyone knew that they story is fucked up. Christian has more reason to be the way he is. The characters are well written. Some times Raw... and Anna Just is a stronger character then Bella. She is self assured. SHE LEAVES HIM. she knew what she wanted and doesn't let him control her. And when she did. IT really was because she wanted to let him. SHE has been in control. Christian, yes is messed up is also very well written and real. He seems more believable then said abusive whinny vamp. He is flawed and knows it. He was Abused as a child, the raped as a 15 year. And yes i do think of it as raped. I agree with Anna on the point. and i have seen people that has had similar reactions to christian. so Again BETTER WRITE.
Now back to the smut part. I expected poor little Anna locked away in his "red room of Pain" thought out the second half of the book. That is not what i got. what i got was a surprising real-ish story with real raw emotions. it highlights how it is to be in a relationship with someone so messed up. you want to help them but how. Its Tragic, on both parts. no one is to blame here except the crack whore of a mother and Mrs Roberson. (yes she taught him control. but she also prevented him from act out to the point that his parents could have gotten him the help he really needed. She took advantaged of him!) You have a true beauty and the beast story here. and YOU know it isn't health, you can indulged in your dark desires for a while in this story and unlike Bella and whiny vamp. there is No delusions that this is a relationship you need to look for.
I am not saying at the end of series i don't want them to find a way. this is fictional romance we want these characters to find away. but I would either want my daughters or son to ever be in this situation either.
This is much better then one would expect. ...more
This book was realized when i was ten and like must books that didn't involve aliens or orc and elfs, I never got around to reading it.
this time I waThis book was realized when i was ten and like must books that didn't involve aliens or orc and elfs, I never got around to reading it.
this time I was stuck with my five year old in the children's section and was looking for though the shelves for a quick read. I stumbled upon this. So i checked it out.
This story is about Sal a 13 year who is dealing with the tragity of the lose for her mother and Sister, Her well meaning father prevents her from saying good-bye to her mother which cause many issues with her grief, he moves her from their farm to get away from the echos of her mother. to a town with a woman she believes he is falling in love with.
Story is told though her journey across the norther US, to the resting place of her mother. While doing this she tells her grandparent about her friend phoebe. Who went though a similar event then her. Flavored with tale is her parents and grandparent's history and her own romance.
The story ends in a beautiful, sad way she Sal deals with the lose of not only her mother and sister, but the changes in her life.
Amy did seem to fighting on many fronts in this book. 1. against the "excepted norms" of parenting 2. to keep hI think this was perfectly named book.
Amy did seem to fighting on many fronts in this book. 1. against the "excepted norms" of parenting 2. to keep her cultural identity and at the same time finding her's and her families particular identity. 3. Lulu 4. Her own sense of right and wrong 5. to a lesser extent her family 6. herself.
so i going to go into my thoughts of all these points.
1. against the norms of what she calls Western Parenting. She has gotten a lot of crap about how she raised her Intelligent, driven daughters. but most these parents methods aren't much better. They may be on par. IT comes down to what do you as a parent think is the most important priority to raising a child. She and I believe her husband, believed in pushing her daughters to KNOW that they are the best or could be. That if you keep fighting you will be strong enough for anything. She describes the hardest parts of parenting, But down plays her loving nature. She is writing about the Fierce tiger nature and the the naturing parts. I think that she gave as much love or more to balanced and Her husband did too. Making this Model workable, thrivable. This is a woman that will give her all for her family.
2. I think amy was really trying to be chinese yet she was equally american and i think that was the struggle. I think in the end she discovered that being american and being chinese can be a hybrid with out giving up to much on the the other. We all face cultural problems even 15 generational americans. it doesn't matter we all have baggage. and this her particular luggage pattern.
4. Yes i skip three but that is because i want to do Lulu at the end. Her sense of right and wrong. again she was being pulled in two directions. One is the "western" is my child happy the other is "what does she need" I think this struggle gave her the balance she needed. the fact that she questioned herself, showed that she isn't oblivious to any issues.
5. Her family. Mostly i think she had a loving and supportive family. But even they at times went against her. from what i gather mostly respectfully and but all families do this. Even her chinese parents wanted her to back down on lulu. This was stressful for amy, who i think was just trying to do her best and at times felt she didn't have the support she needed, and like the true tiger she is, she fought harder.
6. Herself, amy is constantly fighting the battle of herself. She wanted to be chinese and wanted to american but i think she felt she had to sacrifice one for the other. she she seemed to have guilt that her american side will win. and denying a major part of herself. This is why the dogs where important to her. They where her american side showing though. Chinese wouldn't have a pet dog, and certainly not dogs that where like hers. But she did and even though it was for lulu, it benefit her the most. With the dogs they showed her motherly nurturing side without worrying about if her dogs would be ready for the world like her daughters. She didn't need them to do their best and strive for excellence. Because they are where there for her to just love without the worry. The dogs will be with her until they die. and that is fine that is they best out of the lifes for the dogs anyways. But lulu and sofia(audio book not sure if it's with an f or a ph) needed her to push them so that she doesn't have to worry about them as much in the future. Not only do they know the sweeten of life, but they also saw the reality of how living in a competitive world is. An america is extremely competitive and most us where pampered to much as child not fully prepared for the worse of it. Lulu and sofia, can confidently go out in the world and not only survive but thrive.
3. Lulu, oh Lulu. So. i am was a girl just like lulu, I was stubborn and fought like no tomorrow since i was a baby to have it my way. Difference is, my tantrums one out.... most the time. My mother was a gentle giving person that was not ready for such a strong personality. If i had a tiger mom like Amy i would have been extremely successful in life. but i am sure there would have been just many fights as with lulu. But being a 29 year old mother. I can say that I would have thanked her in the end. Just like i am thankful of my strict grandmother, and My Brother ( he wouldn't let me get away with nothing under his watchful eye). I even though she backed down with lulu. She won. She wanted lulu to strive for her best and to make sure her daughters was a strong health individuals. Lulu win is not a loss for amy, even if it feels that way. it is an extreme win. because now amy knows when Lulu is 29 she will be extremely successful and she will not have to worry as much when she leaves the nest. We want better for our children. Amy parents gave her better then what they had and in return Amy has done the same. Lulu ans sofia will want for nothing because they will have to tools to get it. Amy forged Lulu to be stronger then herself. and that is beautiful. Lulu is luck to have a mother like Amy, and Amy is lucky to have a child that challenged her and made Amy to be the best of herself.
I do want to cover Sofia here. Sofia didn't fight often against her mother, she knew her mother wanted what is best for her and to a path of absorption her mothers will like a sponge to water. She didn't' need to be forged, just shaped. Sofia was the balance to Lulu. and equally just as important in the family dynamics. Sofia and Lulu are really the heroes of this book. because they Showed Amy parts of herself that i don't think she would have found otherwise. Sofia became the the child closely associated with her chinese heritage and Lulu Her Jewish culture. Sofia will also succeed and is strong.
I know my grammar is horrible. so if Amy ever reads this i am sorry. I didn't have a "Chinese" parenting but you have inspired me to push my daughters a little more. Not to your degree. but to know they shouldn't slack off either. I think you are wonderful person and should get more credit. I do worry about self esteem but I don't want to sacrifice discipline for it. Thank you for sharing your story, because there is much more wisdom here then most would know.
I putting Amy Chua was the persona that recommend it because of her reference to her parenting on different shows I have seen her on. She personally did not recommend this book nor have we ever met. ...more
This book was amazingly good. This is the reason i got into science fiction stories in the first place. A story with great characters that continued tThis book was amazingly good. This is the reason i got into science fiction stories in the first place. A story with great characters that continued to be great, a strong history to the universe (since there encompassed more then one world) and a well thought out society.
The only thing i had a complaint about was Chanie was not more involved. she was a passive character in the book yet one of the most important. She need to be more involved.
Even though i hated her... and i do i hate her. Jessica should have been somewhere in the story other then a note hey i'm at home... (she must of taken a lot of spice with her)
what happened to the worm? did it survive?
Whatever the case, over all this was a great book and a great leave off for next book. ...more