A perfect book for the season. I enjoyed the book though I already know the plot of the story for i've seen its latest movie adaptation just this yearA perfect book for the season. I enjoyed the book though I already know the plot of the story for i've seen its latest movie adaptation just this year. This book does not only teach us about the lessons of Christmas but also how we should live our life to the fullest. ...more
Okay, for the record, it's 4.5. I love it and I did enjoy reading this one but for some reasons, I get bored reading the first few pages and it was stOkay, for the record, it's 4.5. I love it and I did enjoy reading this one but for some reasons, I get bored reading the first few pages and it was struggle for me to finish reading it soon. Maybe it's because I'm used with the funny first person point of view of Percy in the Percy Jackson series that I was able to finish the book in one day simply because I can't put it down.
As usual, this is not part of my reading list for October but because of my ever impulsive tendency in choosing my next book to read, I decided to reaAs usual, this is not part of my reading list for October but because of my ever impulsive tendency in choosing my next book to read, I decided to read it this soon so I can join the discussion in Filipino Group read for the month.
Ever since I've joined goodreads, I've been reading a lot of good reviews about this book so I think it's really worth reading. I am cautious though in reading this one because some of the reviews I've read said that it has similarities to Hunger Games so I have to warn myself to expect a lot of blood-shedding, brutality and gruesome killing - the only thing I don't like about Collin's novel. (I know it's unfair to the author to set an expectation based on other author's work so I hope she will forgive me for doing so.) I think I like it better than the former.
This is actually my second dystopian novel and I don't think I am a fan of this genre yet but reading Divergent made me think I need to explore more on this genre. And my verdict after reading through it is of course IT WAS AMAZING that I want to read it again to savor every moment of it! I was so engrossed that I remember myself smiling, shrieking, and gasping while reading it. I like it ...more
This is my first book of C.S. Lewis outside the Chronicles of Narnia Series. I want to balance my reading list with good, wholesome and inspiring ChriThis is my first book of C.S. Lewis outside the Chronicles of Narnia Series. I want to balance my reading list with good, wholesome and inspiring Christian books so I decided to try the works of Lewis and look for an e-book. Fortunately, I was able to find one online so I started with Screwtape Letters.
The Screwtape Letters is a series of letters written by Screwtape, a senior demon, to his nephew and a neophyte tempter, Wormood, about the different ways to tempt a newly converted Christian they referred to as "Patient". Their objective is to secure the "Patient's" eternal damnation in hell. In this book, C.S. Lewis tried to describe the spiritual battles between Christians and the forces of evil in a different point of view.
At first, I felt uncomfortable reading the parts where Lewis referred God as "the Enemy" and Satan as the "Father" because being a child of God, I know it's the other way around. But looking at it as a literary piece, this is actually the spice of the story and this what makes the book special to me, that I really can't help but admire Lewis for his wisdom and creativity.
After reading the book, I was really enlightened and reminded of the truths that we humans should believe about God:
1. God loves us and He does not want anyone of us to perish but He wants us to have eternal life with Him and so He his Son to die for us and pay for our sins (John 3:16). In order to have eternal life, we have to accept Jesus in our life and believe that He is our Lord and Savior. By dying on on the cross, he redeemed us and provided the forgiveness of our sins - past, present and future.
2. God promised that for us who receive Jesus, He gave the right to be called His Children.No one can separate us from His love thus, our salvation through Jesus is assured and no one can take it away from us, not even Satan.
3. What Satan only wants from every human is to steal, kill and destroy. He is like a lion who is always looking around for prey, ready to devour anytime thus we should always be on guard. He will try all possible means for us to turn away from God.
4. God promised us victory. What Jesus did on the cross is already complete. Because of that, we are victorious in Christ so we have the power to win any battle including spiritual battle with the real Enemy. Therefore, we must not lose hope and stand firm on our faith that God has already given us the holy life through Jesus and all we have to do is to live it and stop doing the things that are not pleasing to Him. This book provided some examples of the unpleasant things that may seem insignificant but can eventually lead to our own destruction because the devil knows how to manipulate our thoughts so we really need to be careful.
5. Of course, the best way to defeat the Enemy is to lay down all our battles to God by praying and petition. The Bible said, "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people (Ephesians 6:10-18). This is actually the passage that keeps on popping out of my mind the entire time I was reading the book.
This book only wants to point out that we need to recognize that just like Heaven, Hell is also real and Satan also exists. He is continuously looking for possible "recruits" and deceiving people by suggesting different lies in our minds to keep us from turning to God. But God is loving and gracious. He will never let His children fall if we will only remain in Him. God wants all His children to be reunited with Him in eternity, but sadly, not everyone can go to heaven because not everyone has accepted the Truth. He gave us free will to choose how are we going to live our life here on earth. So in every moment and every action of our lives, we are given two different options: to do His will or to follow our own will? And we need to choose well because one may be the highway to hell.
If you are looking for a book about living a Christian life, then I highly recommend this one but of course living a holy life according to God's standard can only be achieved if we continuously seek to know our Creator an Savior more through reading his written Word....more
I was able to finish this book in one day, thanks to the poor service of NBI that I have to read this book while waiting in line to entertain myself,I was able to finish this book in one day, thanks to the poor service of NBI that I have to read this book while waiting in line to entertain myself, only to find out that my name has a hit because of my service obligation to the country as a DOST scholar so my twelve hours of waiting in line to process my clearance application resulted to waiting in vain. I had mixed-emotions while reading this one because Im starting to feel irritated because of the long hours of standing and waiting, and the same time, I felt glad because I felt the satisfaction of finishing a great book like this (and I think this is one of the few good things that happened to me today).
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is a story of the adventures of Dorothy and her dog, Toto, who were accidentally brought by a cyclone to the land of Oz. It also follows her friendship with Scarecrow, Tinman and the cowardly lion as they join her in finding her way home to Kansas.
I really find the story cute, lovable and full of lessons that it actually made my day. This is one of the classic stories that I would love to read again. ...more
Honestly, I thought I would find this book boring and uninteresting unlike the first book of the series. I have to stop at the end of first chapter beHonestly, I thought I would find this book boring and uninteresting unlike the first book of the series. I have to stop at the end of first chapter because I find the story very slow and flat so I decided to try the Lion, the Witch and the Wizard first, and have a glimpse of Narnia through the adventures of the Pevensie siblings. I enjoyed the book as much as I enjoyed the movie that I decided to go back to the first book of the series and see the creation of Narnia.
My second attempt to read this one was indeed a success that I can't help but admire C.S. Lewis for creating this timeless piece of literature. I love how C.S. Lewis translated the story of Creation and the Fall of Man into a children's tale, though according to wikipedia, the author did not intend his books to be allegorical.
This is indeed a timeless classic book that I would certainly love to read to my children when the right time comes, as a tool for introducing Jesus Christ to their very young mind....more