Quit at 30%. Can't get into it. Must have read the blurb wrong b/c I thought Gloria was the one with his baby and I wanted a reconciliation story. InsQuit at 30%. Can't get into it. Must have read the blurb wrong b/c I thought Gloria was the one with his baby and I wanted a reconciliation story. Instead Ash has a baby with someone else. Blah.
I can't get into this because it's just.... dumb. I dunno. I just don't get the whole can't be around someone and have a working brain thing. ...more
- They hadn't married after two weeks. I mean, really people. NO ONE WOULD BELIEVE THAT. - Reese hadn't been so much of a coCould have been better if:
- They hadn't married after two weeks. I mean, really people. NO ONE WOULD BELIEVE THAT. - Reese hadn't been so much of a control freak and inconsiderate asshole. He honestly didn't understand why Merina was sad and lonely.. while being isolated in his giant mansion. - Reese had actually done some groveling. (view spoiler)[ They get divorced and suddenly he's like OMG I LURVE HER. So he says that and she responds, "Okay." ** eyeroll ** (hide spoiler)] ["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>...more
- Lots of extra shit in the beginning I didn't care about. Got over it, at the funeral, okay, and thenSteaming Pile O'NOPE!
Stuff I hated. Spoilers.
- Lots of extra shit in the beginning I didn't care about. Got over it, at the funeral, okay, and then the procession is described as slaves paying homage to their master ????!!!???? Making this extra horrible is the fact that some of the football players are black ಠ_ಠ
- Dan is a fucking misogynistic, angry, violent asshole. He slut shames Phoebe. Has a HORRIBLE temper. Is quick to anger. And not only that, his anger is EXPLOSIVE and abusive- both verbally and emotionally. If anyone yelled/spoke to me like that I would think they were going to beat the fuck out of me and I'd NOPE OUT OF THAT RELATIONSHIP IMMEDIATELY.
- Due to a misunderstanding, Phoebe is essentially re-victimized as she thought she was going to be raped again. Once the "air is cleared" they... start to make-out? Like, okay, did you not get the fact that he's still fucking his ex-wife? And then, later on, he essentially disregards her consent, victimizing her YET AGAIN. Yet... she lurves him? Oh, okay. Gotcha. ಠ_ಠ
- Dan is not only fucking his ex-wife, he's fucking Phoebe whilst chastely dating some other lady he has deemed "worthy" of bearing his spawn. Without discussing it with her or anything. Just kinda goes "whelp, found the mother of my many future babies hurrdurr." Oh, why is she perfect as wifey material? Because she's small, shy, a preschool teacher... oh, and doesn't dress like a whore. ಠ_ಠ
- Oh, and FOR WAY TOO MANY PAGES we are led to believe that Dan is fucking a 16 year old! WTF! Once they are done boning it is revealed that he plays sexy roleplaying games with is ex (that he hates; the ex and the kink). But seriously. WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU LET THE READER THINK DAN IS A CREEPY FUCKING PEDO. ............
I just can't even with this whole story. And yes, it is dated as it was written in the mid 90s, but damn. Dan is a CLEAR example of when "alpha" is used as a replacement for "asshole." ...more
Wow. What shit storm of a book. This was pretty terribad. Imma bullet this list just because. Also, spoilers IDGAF.
* Main Lady and Main Guy (already fWow. What shit storm of a book. This was pretty terribad. Imma bullet this list just because. Also, spoilers IDGAF.
* Main Lady and Main Guy (already forgot their names) inherit a house...but never talk to each other about it. Both just "show up" at the house for the summer after a 9 year estrangement. ಠ_ಠ
*Guy (stupid face dickhole) is an immature asshole and is really fucking rude all while spouting "I don't want to talk about the past. It's over. It doesn't affect me in any way." .... all the while treating Lady Person like a fucking leper and making crude, rude and juvenile comments about the past. (we're suppose to like/wanna fuck this guy??) ಠ_ಠ
* The "drama" that Guy is upset about? Happened when they were in HIGH SCHOOL and he's butthurt and upset that a HIGH SCHOOL girl acted immaturely. And when she gets over her shock, she realizes that she was, you know being immature she tried to reach out and HE IGNORED HER FOR YEARS.
* Oh, Guy (Justin, I believe) shows up with a girlfriend and proceeds to fuck her loudly, a lot, and rubs it in Amelia's face. Because he can. While being a dick when a guy shows interest in her. (See bullet #2: stupid face dickhole)
* Justin says rude and hateful things to her and her response is, "is he right???" Ex: "You look horrendous in that dress. It looks better on my girlfriend. Quite frankly, you look like a whore. Your date only wants to fuck you." ಠ_ಠ ...ಠ_ಠ ... ಠ_ಠ ... ಠ_ಠ
* ----> Sexual Tension (???????)
* Surprise! Amelia's pregnant with Ex's baby. OH NOES.
* 8 months later... she goes back to the inherited house with a newborn. Suddenly, Justin appears! Just in time to tell her she looks horrible b/c she has a two month old baby and that shit is hard work. Seriously. He says she look horrible and smells bad. ಠ_ಠ
* He says he's "not ready" to be in a relationship with her. But wants to fuck her brains out. He's butthurt she's not (literally) jumping at the chance to ride him like a pony
* He goes away for a months-long music gig and leave Amelia suspended in a "are we or aren't we in a relationship" limbo and she ..... deals with it. Under the guise of "giving him time" ?
* She has trust issues. MAXIMUM TRUST ISSUES.
... blahblahblah. I could go on but this was a clusterfuck and both character were dumbshits for different reasons. Also, want to point out that Amelia was concerned that she wouldn't be able to afford daycare for her baby (on a teacher salary) when she found out she was pregnant and then suddenly when baby is 2 months old she quits her job and lives off of her savings.... ??????
Was eyerolling hard in chapter one. Stuck through for some reason. DO NOT RECOMMEND. EVER. ...more
I mean. That isn't necessarily BAD if it's done well, and meh. These books just don't pull together very well. The only one tObvious plot is obvious.
I mean. That isn't necessarily BAD if it's done well, and meh. These books just don't pull together very well. The only one thus far that made any damn sense was the first one. The second was some fucking bullshit about the goddamn conspiracy that was never mentioned again.
AND THIS ONE!!!!
Okay, (view spoiler)[ baby mama plot. But then the baby mama ups and OD's immediately. HOW CONVENIENT FOR YOUR TIRED OLD PLOT LINE. And then!!!!! Pixie just... has no qualms/reservations at all about entering into a relationship and immediately becoming a parent? That shit is never discussed between them at all. (hide spoiler)]
Sadly, I do want to read the fourth book, because it relates to the plot in the first. But, damn. I gotta say, don't have high hopes for it.["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>...more
The secondary plot (view spoiler)[ fracking/conspiracy/murder/absentee mommy returns (hide spoiler)] was totally useless and dumb. Saw no point in itThe secondary plot (view spoiler)[ fracking/conspiracy/murder/absentee mommy returns (hide spoiler)] was totally useless and dumb. Saw no point in it when each character was already up to their eyeballs in personal baggage. BLERG.
Also, Cole's books (at least these two I've read) seem to end VERY ABRUPTLY. Reading and then OH EPILOGUE!
EDIT: Just finished the third book and it makes me hate the second even more because that dumb background "conspiracy" plot is never mentioned again! SERIOUSLY. Why is it even there??? I really want to read #4 (related to the plot in book #1) but damn. This shit is nonsensical. ["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>...more
So, solid 3 stars. The ending really pissed me off though because throughout the whole book Trent is super sweet and understanding and patient regardiSo, solid 3 stars. The ending really pissed me off though because throughout the whole book Trent is super sweet and understanding and patient regarding Harper's past. Then ALL OF A SUDDEN he's like "Ugh, get over your emotional/mental/physical abuse already".
Yeah. Okay, sure he has *some points* about living your life, man but what the fuck. He doesn't get toe set that timeline for her. And then she feels bad about still dealing with the aftermath of the abuse she suffered and the stalking because "Trent is right." ALL OF MY NOPES.
Overall, 3 stars. I liked it. The lovey stuff was a bit toooooooo much for me. The constant "I love you's" and gazing deep into each others eyes was oOverall, 3 stars. I liked it. The lovey stuff was a bit toooooooo much for me. The constant "I love you's" and gazing deep into each others eyes was over the top for me, lol. :) ...more
Overall, I liked this book. As with her other series I read, the timeline is just so skewed (as in, wayyyyy too fast). The banter between Lydia &Overall, I liked this book. As with her other series I read, the timeline is just so skewed (as in, wayyyyy too fast). The banter between Lydia & Vaughan was funny and def made me giggle and smile.
SPOILER-Y THINGS AHEAD - Not plot related, but I was so annoyed at one character saying "her husband rarely babysits" --IT'S NOT BABYSITTING IF IT'S YOUR OWN KIDS. IT'S PARENTING. And maybe he should parent more often?! - Timeline is too fast. I was fine with it, really, until the end when they are basically engaged after two weeks ** eyeroll ** - Wish Lydia's relationship to Asshat had been more than 4 months total. Makes her seem super flighty - Also disappointed Vaughan just... gave up on his music. As in, there wasn't a compromise or discussion or anything. He's just like, "You're it for me." which seems romantic, but not realistic (lololol I know I'm complaining about a fictional book). I mean, his band WAS known and he had a big opportunity and just.... quit b/c he has the lurves for Lydia? I feel like there could have been a middle ground