There was never a doubt that this book would end with a happy ending, but I just couldn't suspend my disbelief long enough to just go with it, and thiThere was never a doubt that this book would end with a happy ending, but I just couldn't suspend my disbelief long enough to just go with it, and this is coming from someone who enjoys paranormal romance a great deal, and is, as a result, the queen of belief suspension.
Caden shunned his mate for two hundred years. Two. Hundred. Years. And Dale thinks to himself that it's terrible that he was bitchy for a few months? (view spoiler)[Even Dale getting raped wasn't enough of a wake up call for Caden, and the only reason he pulled his head out of his ass was because Dale got pregnant? (hide spoiler)] So much for true love.
I get that the author wanted to make a shifter story more original, but come on! That's the entire point of fated mates; they're perfect for each other. They can't fight the bond, let alone hurt their mates to that extent, and holding out for two centuries is even more ridiculous!...more
1. Info dumping: there is a lot of mythology behind these shifters and it was all told at the very beginning of the stoWhat was wrong with this book:
1. Info dumping: there is a lot of mythology behind these shifters and it was all told at the very beginning of the story. It was too much in too little time.
2. Erotic dreams: I never have been and never will be a fan of these in books. Good things come to those who wait and substituting the real thing for a dream just seems like a cheap, easy fix.
3. The shifters: female shifters had two traits: vicious and nasty. Period. While I enjoyed that the women seemed to be stronger than the men for once in a shifter story, they weren't simply meek and fragile or worse, didn't exist at all, it got boring quick to read about how every single woman was only capable of snarling and glaring and men had to tiptoe around them.
4. Dragging storyline: the big conversation about mates and pretty much any explanation that Jace deserved about his attack, the town, etc was put off time and time again, to the point where it wasn't only frustrating, it verged on ridiculous. Hawke always had another morning at the office, another nap to take and another nighttime patrol and unfortunately his way of dealing with this was:
5. Drugging his mate!(view spoiler)[: apparently Jace deserved better than Hawke having sex with him by the side of the road, but he didn't deserve to not be drugged multiple times, lied to about the state of his truck, stopped from leaving, forced to return, drugged again while in a police cell and Hawke lying to his boss so he wouldn't have a job to go back to. (hide spoiler)]
While I enjoyed this book, the flow of the story was very jumbled at times. The overexplaining at some points while underexplaining at others was veryWhile I enjoyed this book, the flow of the story was very jumbled at times. The overexplaining at some points while underexplaining at others was very frustrating and pulled me out of the story a few times. Having said that, it was a good read and I did enjoy the characters. The 4 stars I gave the book are more of a 3.5, but I rated it higher to balance out the rest of the ratings the book got. ...more