This was an okay book. I won't be reading further because I have problems with the next book in the series. (view spoiler)[No "forced pregnancy is okaThis was an okay book. I won't be reading further because I have problems with the next book in the series. (view spoiler)[No "forced pregnancy is okay" for me, thanks! It is one thing to explore that topic and another thing to say it's perfectly okay and have formerly strong female character just completely capitulate.Even Hermione/Snape Marriage Law fanfiction handles it better. -_- (hide spoiler)]
Anyway, Other reviewers' comments that the survival stuff is pretty unrealistic. I kind of found myself trying really hard to suspend disbelief at how quickly stuff was reinvented and how they managed to have so many specialists. Like building kilns and smithys and crap. Really? Okay, whatever, sure, that only takes days, Right. ::rolls eyes::
Speaking of rolling eyes - comments about cheesy dialog were also spot on. "Boy oh boy oh boy"? L-O-L-O-L!
So, not Anne McCaffrey's best work. Don't chose this as your first. Stick with Dragonflight. If you just want something a bit cheesy with a strong female character kicking some butt and having some romance, try this out, but not with any high expectations....more
This was an okay book. I can't rate it higher because some of the stereotypes annoyed me.
(view spoiler)[ 1) Insta-love with a mysterious elf. Mutual onThis was an okay book. I can't rate it higher because some of the stereotypes annoyed me.
(view spoiler)[ 1) Insta-love with a mysterious elf. Mutual on both sides. Apparently she saved him years ago somehow as a kid? And he had been looking for her to protect her in exchange for her saving his life but I guess decided he'd rather boink her instead? Whatevs.
2) All the dudes want Tinker for some reason. Even the one way too old for her, so old it was creepers, ugh. She even thought it was creepers. Probably because he said it wasn't creepers.
3) But she doesn't think she's pretty even though everyone else thinks she is. SO SICK OF THIS BEING A THING
4) She gets lusty feelings for basically every damn dude even after she realizes she feels more for the elf than anyone else. Is this how girls usually are? I don't generally work this way. Maybe I'm just weird. I don't want to boink all the things.
5) Bunch of rapey-ish-bits. -Tinker consents to sex with the elf but he turns her into an elf without making sure she knew what he was doing - Also there was that part where the kitsune is forced to breed - Also the guy that's too old for her who didn't want to be creepy basically almost forces sex on her and moves too fast, what the hell is up with this guy? Wasn't he supposed to be the nice friend of the family and then suddenly he's a pushy asshole.
6) Tinker doesn't frickin' know any damn thing about history or culture. What the hell is with all these books with heroines who are so smart and talented but also so friggin' dumb. Find a better way to explain how shit works to the readers plz, such as having your lead character narrate and tell us, or hell just have the narrator tell us what the character thinks about, or something. Anything that doesn't involve lead character not knowing shit they should damn well know so someone can explain it to them (hide spoiler)]
There was another weird thing that I didn't really like.
(view spoiler)[Okay. What was up with the Chinese people living in Pittsburgh being all evil and Oni? That makes no sense. a) The Oni/Tengu/Kitsune are Japanese spirits so why are they all Chinese? And b) it just made me feel uncomfortable that the author might be hiding some racism in all of this with the zomg evil Chinese people thing. WTF. (hide spoiler)]
That rant being done with, I did like the blend of science and magic in this book so I kept going. I don't really have any interest in reading more in this series....more
I don't really understand why so many people weren't happy with this book. Some of them said it was boring or they were waiting for stuff to happen anI don't really understand why so many people weren't happy with this book. Some of them said it was boring or they were waiting for stuff to happen and it didn't, so I don't get it. I mean, my idea of a book in which nothing happens is Twilight, which also has a crappy plot and unlikable characters.
THIS book has intrigue, mystery, fun and unique characters with lots of character development, hijinks, and mayhem. It was exactly as I expected it would be and I will be reading the rest of the series as well. This would definitely be in my top lists of book-worlds to visit if I could ever do such a thing.
As for the way it was written, if you've read any regency novels before, this is fairly similar. That's why there's so much focus on characters, clothing, manners, and the like. It's part of what makes this series so fun!
I've read 2 of the Parasol Protectorate series, but I think it's not really fair to this series to compare it to her other one. This one feels like it's meant to be YA. As far as I can tell, there's not gonna be any sexy times here, and I like it all the better for that....more