This was an okay book. I won't be reading further because I have problems with the next book in the series. (view spoiler)[No "forced pregnancy is okaThis was an okay book. I won't be reading further because I have problems with the next book in the series. (view spoiler)[No "forced pregnancy is okay" for me, thanks! It is one thing to explore that topic and another thing to say it's perfectly okay and have formerly strong female character just completely capitulate.Even Hermione/Snape Marriage Law fanfiction handles it better. -_- (hide spoiler)]
Anyway, Other reviewers' comments that the survival stuff is pretty unrealistic. I kind of found myself trying really hard to suspend disbelief at how quickly stuff was reinvented and how they managed to have so many specialists. Like building kilns and smithys and crap. Really? Okay, whatever, sure, that only takes days, Right. ::rolls eyes::
Speaking of rolling eyes - comments about cheesy dialog were also spot on. "Boy oh boy oh boy"? L-O-L-O-L!
So, not Anne McCaffrey's best work. Don't chose this as your first. Stick with Dragonflight. If you just want something a bit cheesy with a strong female character kicking some butt and having some romance, try this out, but not with any high expectations....more
This was an okay book. I can't rate it higher because some of the stereotypes annoyed me.
(view spoiler)[ 1) Insta-love with a mysterious elf. Mutual onThis was an okay book. I can't rate it higher because some of the stereotypes annoyed me.
(view spoiler)[ 1) Insta-love with a mysterious elf. Mutual on both sides. Apparently she saved him years ago somehow as a kid? And he had been looking for her to protect her in exchange for her saving his life but I guess decided he'd rather boink her instead? Whatevs.
2) All the dudes want Tinker for some reason. Even the one way too old for her, so old it was creepers, ugh. She even thought it was creepers. Probably because he said it wasn't creepers.
3) But she doesn't think she's pretty even though everyone else thinks she is. SO SICK OF THIS BEING A THING
4) She gets lusty feelings for basically every damn dude even after she realizes she feels more for the elf than anyone else. Is this how girls usually are? I don't generally work this way. Maybe I'm just weird. I don't want to boink all the things.
5) Bunch of rapey-ish-bits. -Tinker consents to sex with the elf but he turns her into an elf without making sure she knew what he was doing - Also there was that part where the kitsune is forced to breed - Also the guy that's too old for her who didn't want to be creepy basically almost forces sex on her and moves too fast, what the hell is up with this guy? Wasn't he supposed to be the nice friend of the family and then suddenly he's a pushy asshole.
6) Tinker doesn't frickin' know any damn thing about history or culture. What the hell is with all these books with heroines who are so smart and talented but also so friggin' dumb. Find a better way to explain how shit works to the readers plz, such as having your lead character narrate and tell us, or hell just have the narrator tell us what the character thinks about, or something. Anything that doesn't involve lead character not knowing shit they should damn well know so someone can explain it to them (hide spoiler)]
There was another weird thing that I didn't really like.
(view spoiler)[Okay. What was up with the Chinese people living in Pittsburgh being all evil and Oni? That makes no sense. a) The Oni/Tengu/Kitsune are Japanese spirits so why are they all Chinese? And b) it just made me feel uncomfortable that the author might be hiding some racism in all of this with the zomg evil Chinese people thing. WTF. (hide spoiler)]
That rant being done with, I did like the blend of science and magic in this book so I kept going. I don't really have any interest in reading more in this series....more
I liked it, but I sort of felt like Dante was just another Trey in the bedroom. They both used "baby" when referring to their women, they both did thaI liked it, but I sort of felt like Dante was just another Trey in the bedroom. They both used "baby" when referring to their women, they both did that "good girl" thing, both wanted the same kinds of sex. I guess that's just what the author likes so she's going to make every guy do that too. Seriously not every man wants to bang a girl in her bum and say it was made for him and will take him because of it. I'll probably still listen to the third one but I expect THAT guy will be the same as the other two....more
This book didn't take long to get right into the sex, and thereafter you basically find out it's about sex sex rapity rape pregnancy. It reminded me aThis book didn't take long to get right into the sex, and thereafter you basically find out it's about sex sex rapity rape pregnancy. It reminded me a little bit of the Meredith Gentry series by Laurel K Hamilton, except that Merry likes to bang all those people that want to bang her and enjoys doing it as it is her nature. I also get the feeling that with the magic power, this series is going to have a lot more addiction stuff along with all those people wanting to bang and rape and impregnate Eugenie.
Don't get me wrong. I did like this book - the sex scenes were steamy and I am still a bit intrigued about what will happen to the characters. I'm just not sure when/if I want to read more of the series. The stuff I'm most interested in - how the magic works, how the land and Eugenie are connected and how the people will react to her, etc...I have a feeling that stuff won't come into play as much as I would like it to later. It'll take a backburner to the sex sex rapity rape pregnancy angle....more