4 stars out of 5 average. Very good for an anthology.
1. Back to Back (Joren, Stardoc Universe). Super sweet story about a slave girl and the Jorenian she is paired with as they fight to survive. I wonder what happened with them because I would love to know. 5 stars.
2. Arcanum. Loved this story about two space explorers who meet, learn each other's secrets and then are sent out to protect. 5 stars.
3. Touch. A blind woman is experimented on and then made to attempt a kidnapping. Things do not go as planned. 4 stars.
4. Fire and Ice. Kind of an X-Men/superhero blend with some romance thrown in. Engaging story. 4 stars.
5. Abbadon. This is a story from the Darkyn series about Gage and Nia. I really hate how this author hates the Catholic church but at least in this one there's a good priest. 3 stars.
6. Red Branch. When I first started reading this I thought what the hell! The book was really strange with these spider women that actually made webs and looked like spiders. Then there's this half spider/half human male who comes around who can also make webs and I thought ugh, I hate spiders. But the story ended up being pretty good. The romance is strange. The story is strange. But it works. 4 stars
7. Throw. A story about demon hunters and the myths that surround them. I liked the story. 3-1/2 stars.
8. A Diversity of Houses (Joren, Stardoc Universe). Short story about a couple on Joren who are brought together and he must convince her that he likes her for more than her "good looks". Very sweet story. 4 stars.
9. Defense Mechanism. A converted gets in a scuffle and meets someone interesting. I liked this story and hope the author explores this theme more - especially the humor part of it. 4 stars.
10. The Widow. "Cute" story about the last woman on Earth and the alien who ate her husband. 3-1/2 stars....more
A really strange third part of the book. The guys are watching the heroine die and it's like they're saying, "Excuse me, did you say something. Oh that's too bad." Then they go back to what they were doing even though everyone keeps saying she doesn't have long to live. I wanted to smack their heads together and poke their eyes - a la Three Stooges. 2-1/2 out of 5 stars. ...more
Wow, misfires and miscommunications galore. I really felt sorry for Duncan and although I like Cherijo, man what a bitch! Really good Duncan point-of-view book about their first meeting and the beginning of their romance (?). ...more
This book was way too mystical for me. I had read that it was dystopian but didn't see that until about halfway through the book when there was talk aThis book was way too mystical for me. I had read that it was dystopian but didn't see that until about halfway through the book when there was talk about the great book. This great book was very pivotal toward the end but I was lost/bored by then. If you removed the mysticism, it's pretty much a book about a group of young adults on a quest, while fighting evil.
What I liked about the book was the poetic descriptions of the desert and the desert life. I also liked the relationship between the main protagonist and her parents. ...more
I could not finish. When it got the parallel world and the 3rd Lilith, I was beyond confused. Usually I don't give aI read this as part of Hex Appeal
I could not finish. When it got the parallel world and the 3rd Lilith, I was beyond confused. Usually I don't give a rating to a story/book I didn't finish but this one I almost finished so I'm giving a rating. 2 stars. ...more
This is a great start to this series. It starts from when the virus is first determined and then goes on to months later when the survivors aAudiobook
This is a great start to this series. It starts from when the virus is first determined and then goes on to months later when the survivors are trying to save people. It ends with a ship full of infected (zombies) and people barely surviving. I'm going to listen to the entire. Tristan Morris does a pretty good job although I think his Australian accents are a little heavy-handed but then I'm from California so what do I know. ...more
Did you ever wonder what would happen with zombie babies? This book answers that. The one thing I don't understand is that (view spoiler)[ I'Audiobook
Did you ever wonder what would happen with zombie babies? This book answers that. The one thing I don't understand is that (view spoiler)[ I've always assumed that if someone grabbed a man's balls he would just punch the hell out of the person, here the guy is totally incapacitated. I wonder if that would really work. (hide spoiler)]
I plan on listening to the rest of the series.["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>...more
I think I'm a little old for this book. There were a lot of 80s references for a teenager in the 80s when I would have been in my 20s. And Finn, becauI think I'm a little old for this book. There were a lot of 80s references for a teenager in the 80s when I would have been in my 20s. And Finn, because of awful circumstances, has the mindset of a teenager. To me, projecting, this is a great book for anyone from the 40s down in age. I'm probably wrong but that's my opinion. ...more
I'm just about to start the Disenchanted & Co series and am so glad I came across this free ebook from the author's blog. I'm sure it will give me a glimpse into what happened to begin the heroine's new life. Very good story. ...more
Rating is 3.625 which I've rounded up to 4 stars. That's pretty good for an anthology.
1. Larka. I really enjoyed this. An orphan is saved, raised and then sold into slavery by the family who rescued her. Instead of being bitter, she's all "que sera sera" about it. When she's brought to her own type of people, they mistreat her and then she comes to an understanding with them. Cute story. ****
2. Throw. A story about demon hunters and the myths that surround them. I liked the story. ***1/2
3. Tell. A Chosen doesn't want to be chosen so runs away to a better life. I enjoyed this story. ***1/2
4. Black Queen. This was actually the only story in this anthology. Red Branch was not included and was a separate book #1. This is book #2 about what happened after Red Branch. Some really funny parts especially the repartee between the seamstress and Akela. ***1/2
Rating is 3.47 out of 5 stars, so a little above average. Some really good stories and some stinkers.
1. Selene's Dagger (Holly Noriko #1, Stardoc Universe). A really good story about a Lunar Marshall trying to find a killer and then trying to stop him. 5 stars
2. Mandylion. Jesus was a clone. 1/2 star
3. Scratch Fever. A virus from cats starts killing humans until a scientist finds a solution that not everyone may want. Good story. 3-1/2 stars.
4. Rule Number One (Mercy #1 Stardoc universe). A day in the life of a brothel in space. Very good story. 4 stars
5. SOFACon. An alien goes to sci-fi conference (although they don't like that hyphenated word) and finds it ridiculous. 2-1/2 stars.
6. Revisions. A writers characters are sick of her changes and call her on it, literally. 2-1/2 stars.
7. Box. A body is destroyed and then a consciousness to replaced. This was a pretty good story. 3-1/2 stars.
8. HODS. A mutation experiment mutates into something better? Really strange, horrible story. 2-1/2 stars.
9. Dark Side. An older "astronaut" stops a set-up and then appears vindicated. At first I thought it was about the "Big G" God and was a little concerned. It turned out to be a good story. 3-1/2 stars.
10. Engaging the Enemy (Stardoc Cut Scene). Loved this. Cherijo introduces the Jorenians to capture the flag in the mud. 4 stars
11. Quorum. A scientist virtually meets a killing bacteria and they come to a compromise. I enjoyed this story. 3-1/2 stars
12. Professional Courtesy (Mercy #2, Stardoc Universe). Unhealthy competition for the brothel and the steps they take to mitigate it. Love it! 4 stars
13. Shadow Zone (Holly Noriko #2, Stardoc Universe). For some reason I was hoping that the father would show up and change his mindset. Didn't happen. In my opinion, this would be a really great series. 5 stars
14. Mind's Eye. A brain sync helps a blind man see and a paralyzed woman feel. Then they fight crime. Enjoyed it. 4 stars.
15. Reparation. Reconstructs (human brains/cyborg body) find out what there life was like before and seek justice. I liked this one too. 4 stars. ...more
I don't think I've ever read an anthology that had each story have a 5 star rating but this one. Fantastic read if you're into sci-fi.
Selene's Dagger. A really good story about a Lunar Marshall trying to find a killer and then trying to stop him. *****
Shadow Zone. For some reason I was hoping that the father would show up and change his mindset. Didn't happen. In my opinion, this would be a really great series. *****
Deimos. This was a story about a young Cherijo and an adventure she had while on the lunar colony with the lunar marshall Holly. We get a glimpse of the Cherijo yet to come and about what might have happened to Holly if Cherijo hadn't been on the lunar colony. Really good story. ***** ...more