Just finished "Himalayan Blunders" written by Brigadier John Dalvi. It was my first book on Indo-Sino War and I am thankful for orkut Non-Fiction commJust finished "Himalayan Blunders" written by Brigadier John Dalvi. It was my first book on Indo-Sino War and I am thankful for orkut Non-Fiction community to suggest me for reading this book. Book was banned as soon as it got published and I know the reason after reading it. John was in charge of 7th Brigade who took the responsibility of Handling the Chinese crisis along the Tibetan border. The book is full of agony , frustration and anger which author experienced during those days.
He coined a term "Non - Violence war" given by the civil authority to him. "Higher Authority" which includes Prime Minister (Nehru) , Defence Minister (Menon) and General (Kaul) where the deciding one for the war. The book is divided into various part :
1. This part shows the Chinese aggression along the border of NEFA and Ladhak and how Nehru dismissed it as just a regular petrol done by Chinese. He carried along with the path of brotherhood and thus did some blundering mistakes like allowing senior generals from china to see all the establishment of Army along the NEFA. He also overlooked the requirement of Army for the arms and ammunition which lead army to use World War II arms against the Chinese. Kaul and Menon also overlooked the basic requirement which is needed to develop a strong front by India against China. Better roads , good clothing , arms and ammunition , better communication and co-ordination.
2. As Chinese were growing strong on NEFA front building better roads , better communication India were still in hope that Chinese will not attack India and thus Nehru pointed basic requirement as un necessary expenditure on part of Army. John further adds how Chinese slowly and slowly created a better fighting position and how Army were helpless despite of being sending continuous reminder to Higher Authority. In this part he also adds how Army generals were promoted to serve the interest of Nehru and Menon thus leaving a disarray in Army. Finally they were told to shift there bases from Punjab and Agra to NEFA as Chinese strike First on 15th sept. During 15th Sept and Till 10th Oct (day when Chinese finally attacked) there were no clear thoughts and chain of command. Nehru was on long trip to foreign land , Desai accompanying him , Menon was in New York and Kaul holidaying in Jammu. 7th Brigade was created during this period comprising of Rajputs , Sikhs and Punjabi's who had no knowledge of High altitude and Mountains. Gorkhas and Assam Regiment were ignored. 7th Brigade were told to shift there bases on Altitude which ranged from 10000 to 15000 Feet with no Roads and clothing they were just like a Police along the Border. For moving 2 Miles only it took days and every solider were supplied with a 40 Rounds of ammunition and basic clothing. There were no boots , gloves , kerosene , foods and medicine.
3. As they set up there bases along the borders, John quickly analyzed the preparation of Chinese and how they are planing a massive strike. He took a note of around 20,000 soldiers supported by good artillery and mortar regiment. He continuously sent a reminder about the poor preparation of Army against Chinese which felt on deaf people , he also added that it would be crime and murder of soldier to make them fight against this mighty Chinese. But Nehru and Menon insists that Chinese would not do anything and thus they should keep there present positions. Among all problems a major one was to keep Army in there present status by providing food , clothing , arms and shelter, which Civil authority ignored and thus keeping a 3000 soldiers in good condition was a challenge for John. He accounted that Air Force did very little to help the army and chosen dropping zone of Air Force took 2 3 days for them to collect things. The things dropped were of no use as only 20% of them could be collected and rest get lost in those chilling and windy conditions. John , recounted how Army was ignored and soldiers suffered pathetic condition with Brave Hearts.
4. After 10th October 1962 , everything changed Chinese finally attacked and killed Indian Soldiers who were short of Ammunition and communication. John , took some examples of the bravery shown by Sikhs , rajputs and Gorkhas. Along a Tsangle pass only 100 Rajputs controlled 2000 Chinese and made them run for there money , after 5th Attempt Chinese were able to overcome them as Rajputs were left with no ammunition to fight. Same were the story of Gorkhas and Sikhs who fought with waves of thousands of Chinese who attacked there post. One Chinese General Quoted after the War "Indian Army Need everything , Except Courage" ....
5. In Final chapter John , pin pointed the mistake done by Generals and Politicians who were responsible for the Death of some 2000 Soldiers along the Indo - Sino border. He also accounted that People of India were so ignorant about the tragedy and till now no one is blamed for this grave defeat which costs us loosing some 1200 miles of land to Chinese. He cited the example of random orders and poor infrastructure which could have been improved and arrogance of Nehru Menon made this defeat more painful. There were around 4 lakh soldiers in India and that point but only 3000 were trusted to defeat Chinese.
After "Love Story" this book made me cry with the plight of Army and condition in which our soldiers defended the border with all courage and bravery. It needs to be above Profession and Career to do something like this which we can only imagine. Wonder what takes these soldiers to give there life and protect us , as John summed up " The thought of Mother Nation, kept these Soldiers alive and fight"....
I feel that Mr. Shourie should have been given somehting like BHARAT RATNA for this piece of work , but as its not in my hand i can just say thanks toI feel that Mr. Shourie should have been given somehting like BHARAT RATNA for this piece of work , but as its not in my hand i can just say thanks to Mr. Shourie . Classic work and an eye opener. Some points which touched me :
1. Reference to the work of ICHR which is like hell and there books are like dust. 2. The on going tampering of Indian History by so called leftist and its impact. 3. Even the russian are fair in your history then these eminent historians.
I think its the time for leftist and ICHR to have a postive look and should try to be practical !...more
Hmmm , well after much search on internet i got this book in both PDF and Word format , they say u can find anything on net is true !! Ambani BrothersHmmm , well after much search on internet i got this book in both PDF and Word format , they say u can find anything on net is true !! Ambani Brothers failed to stop Internet :))
Well I am kind of a person who reads book and like those who gives facts and figure , they only its good to believe ... hence i like arun shourie in this case , Hamish have told thousands of incidents in this book some with facts , newspaper articles and personal inteview ..but in many case he has JUST WRITTEN the things !!!
But in all a good books , what the congress has done with this country for the past 50 60 years is not hidden and this book shows a glimpse of that , I am a born Jan sanghiye and after reading all this my hate towards congress only grows !!!
Hamish has studied in deep the Indian market and its bull Bear run . how the things are managed. He answeres many questions ...
1. Conduct of CBI and how congress controls it. 2. Dynasty rule is taking Indian toll. 3. Money is the big player in politics. 4. No One cares about employee class. 5. Journalist like Gurumurthy are hard to find now. 6. News paper used to be a big weapon in those times. 7. Articles and news item are also driven by business houses.
If any one is interested in reading this book , I can mail the same ... do ask speacially the people who loves rajiv gandhi and congress , i would like to contribute in breaking there MYTHS ....more
I wonder why this book was banned in india , may be coz it shows the clear negligence from government and local authority who can handle this deadly tI wonder why this book was banned in india , may be coz it shows the clear negligence from government and local authority who can handle this deadly tragedy . or may be due the reference of sikh killing by congress militant. whatever the reason are this book is well researched by the authors and depicts the sad state of Indian politicians who are just into vote banks and nothing else.
Last few chapters are real heart breaking when the gas leaks out and the chaos that was created can bring tears to anybody eyes. I can't even imagine the agony which the people would have suffered, more then 5lakhs people are affected in this tragedy . It was like chemical weapon used there !
The escape of anderson and the vicitms still not getting there compensation , carbide provided $470million for that, Politicians must be enjoying on that money thats for sure !!!
Todays generation should read this book to get the clear picture of the sad state we are in it !...more
Its good book for your history classes and to know how India handled Bangladesh and Pokhran-I crisis. It also shows the US tilt towards Pakistan and iIts good book for your history classes and to know how India handled Bangladesh and Pokhran-I crisis. It also shows the US tilt towards Pakistan and ignorance for India.
During Nixon period the tilt become more obvious and US started showing interest in China also. This results in the mix up policy of SE Asia. The book is primary contains records from US state depatment and letters from various ambassy.
The book is just the collected papers and nothing from author side. Good read but not for buying the book !...more
I really liked this book , awesome !!! some parts are worth reading ... his account of vridavan was heart touching same for sri lanka issue !!!
AuthoI really liked this book , awesome !!! some parts are worth reading ... his account of vridavan was heart touching same for sri lanka issue !!!
Author was unbaised and researched throughly before writting this book , worth reading for all those who are indians and haven't learn about the history of places like virndavan , goa , hyderabad , lucknow and sri lanka....more
Well i always doubt on the history we study and told by our text books and historians, After reading "Arun Shourie - Eminent historians " and This booWell i always doubt on the history we study and told by our text books and historians, After reading "Arun Shourie - Eminent historians " and This book i am more convienced and dead sure.
P.N oak has written this book before in hindi and i have read english version and very well documented with facts and pictures. He has some strong points to put that Taj mahal was hindu palace.
I am not going to give the points but will tell the people to read this book and judge themselves only....more
Nice book... Get a glimpse of how satellite television started in india ... although i thought relation between corporate houses and satellite channelNice book... Get a glimpse of how satellite television started in india ... although i thought relation between corporate houses and satellite channels would have been good piece of information .
best book to understand ideologies that moaist carry and where the government had failed ! Author has traveled good amount to collect stories and peopbest book to understand ideologies that moaist carry and where the government had failed ! Author has traveled good amount to collect stories and people ! Nice work i love the book !...more