I really enjoyed reading this book and the author's writing style. It took me a long time to get through but only because it fell during a part of theI really enjoyed reading this book and the author's writing style. It took me a long time to get through but only because it fell during a part of the summer where I haven't found a lot of time to read. Coincidentally, it turned out to be a great summer read.
some favorite quotes:
“The words given voice inside the mind are not always clear, however; they can be gentle and elliptical, what the prophets call the bat qol, the daughter of the voice of God, she who speaks in whispers and half-seen images.”
“Holmes had cultivated the ability to still the noise of the mind, by smoking his pipe and playing nontunes on the violin. He once compared this mental state with the sort of passive seeing that enables the eye, in a dim light or at a great distance, to grasp details with greater clarity by focusing slightly to one side of the object of interest. When active, strained vision only obscures and frustrates, looking away often permits the eyes to see and interpret the shapes of what it sees. Thus does inattention allow the mind to register the still, small whisper of the daughter of the voice.”
“You cannot help being a female, and I should be something of a fool were I to discount your talents merely because of their housing.”
“Impossibility is a log thrown on the fires of love.” ...more
2011: My new Christmastime tradition will be to read this story each December!! 2012: I forgot how funny this is! If you're married and/or have kids yo2011: My new Christmastime tradition will be to read this story each December!! 2012: I forgot how funny this is! If you're married and/or have kids you'll especially enjoy! I don't see how it could ever get old :) 2013: Still funny! 2014: Just as fun as the first time....more
This was a fun read/cute story! Great for Winter break or a Summer read.
- Highlight Loc. 444-46 | This was why I shouldn’t have beenThis was a fun read/cute story! Great for Winter break or a Summer read.
- Highlight Loc. 444-46 | This was why I shouldn’t have been allowed in Macy’s. Because when you turn a short span of time into a “season,” you create an echo chamber for all of its associations. Once you step in, it’s hard to escape.
- Highlight Loc. 640-44 | It is a known fact that reindeers are herbivores who subsist on plant life and shun meat, so I hardly think they’d be gunning for someone’s gramma. It upset me to think about a reindeer harming Gramma, because we all know that if that happened in the real world and not in the movies, then the Wildlife Service would go hunting for that reindeer and do away with the poor antlered guy when it was probably Gramma’s fault getting in his way like that! She always forgets to wear her glasses and osteoporosis hunches her walk and slows her down. She’s like a walking bull’s-eye for dear ol’ Bambi!
- Highlight Loc. 682-85 | My only bad Christmas was the year I was six. That was the year that my pet gerbil died in a horrible incident at show-and-tell at school about a week before Christmas break. I know, I know, it sounds funny. It wasn’t. It was actually a gruesome massacre.
- Highlight Loc. 1156-58 | I’ve always resented Hermione, because I wanted to be her so badly and she never seemed to appreciate as much as I thought she should that she got to be her. She got to live at Hogwarts and be friends with Harry and kiss Ron, which was supposed to happen to me.
- Highlight Loc. 1446-48 | (Lily) December 25th I decided to give myself a Christmas present this year. I decided to spend the day only speaking to animals (real and stuffed)
- Highlight Loc. 1719-21 | Because suddenly, on the night-(horah-)mare after Christmas, as I sat on a filthy toilet in a stinky bathroom, dripping in sweat from dancing, I really really wanted that certain someone to kiss.
- Highlight Loc. 2002-4 | It’s the great male fantasy—all it takes is one dance to know that she’s the one. All it takes is the sound of her song from the tower, or a look at her sleeping face. And right away you know—this is the girl in your head, sleeping or dancing or singing in front of you. Yes, girls want their princes, but boys want their princesses just as much.
- Highlight Loc. 2013-16 | “You’re grounded.” Grandpa stared at me in all seriousness. I couldn’t help but burst out laughing. Grandpas give out dollar bills and bicycles and hugs. They don’t give punishments to grandchildren! Everybody knows that.
- Highlight Loc. 3578-80 | The important people in our lives leave imprints. They may stay or go in the physical realm, but they are always there in your heart, because they helped form your heart. There’s no getting over that.”
- Highlight Loc. 3678-80 | “I mean, what if love isn’t a yes-or-no question? It’s not either you’re in love or you’re not. I mean, aren’t there different levels? And maybe these things, like words and expectations and whatever, don’t go on top of the love. Maybe it’s like a map, and they all have their own place, and then when you see it from the sky—whoa.”
- Highlight Loc. 3926-28 | “ ‘Running latte,’ ” I said aloud. “ ‘When you’re late because you stopped for a coffee.’ ”...more
Found Trip Payne's series of crossword puzzle books at Barnes & Nobel for my 8 year old nephew and they are fantastic! He started on it right awayFound Trip Payne's series of crossword puzzle books at Barnes & Nobel for my 8 year old nephew and they are fantastic! He started on it right away and said him and his friend will do some together before their baseball games (wow)! He asked me to go back and get more...so of course, I did :-)
Says on amazon for ages 9-12, but I'd say 7+, maybe earlier, especially, if you are encouraging them to do puzzles! I think there is one in the series for 4 year olds, but I didn't find it at the bookstore.
also have: clever crosswords for kids & crosswords for kids, Trip Payne ...more
3.5 Stars: Cute story with a cute little mystery involved. Enjoyed the story and the characters.
Quotes: "I'm homesick all the time," she said, still no3.5 Stars: Cute story with a cute little mystery involved. Enjoyed the story and the characters.
Quotes: "I'm homesick all the time," she said, still not looking at him "I just don't know where home is. There's this promise of happiness out there. I know it. I even feel it sometimes. But it's like chasing the moon - just when I think I have it, it disappears into the horizon. I grieve and try to move on, but then the damn thing comes back the next night, giving me hope of catching it all over again." pg 194
Possible spoiler: For young girls to be reading, I didn't like the underlying message about Julia and Sawyer and their one time together in high school, especially by the end of the story. I don't want to reveal anything but some of the writing about that night made it sound so romantic yet casual and that everything can still work out in the end in their type of situation....more
I really enjoyed the story and didn't want it to end! Although, there were a few sentences that seemed either out of place for the time, or maybe tooI really enjoyed the story and didn't want it to end! Although, there were a few sentences that seemed either out of place for the time, or maybe too 'young adult' for me, I'll be adding this to my favorites shelf. It was a nice take on time travel and a good summertime/vacation read! Interested in checking out more of Hoffman's books. ...more